How long roughly did it take you to be, "Fat adapted"?

Options
mowbry
mowbry Posts: 60 Member
I've read many posts by people saying they were fat adapted and I thought that meant they were used to including butter, cream, coconut oil etc in their diet and we're not getting heart burn. So I researched it and found out it means in simple terms that your body is fat burning and not using glucose for its energy. This is my 3rd week of IF and 2nd week of Keto. I'm intrigued to know when in your journey did you become fat adapted? Many thanks in anticipation.

Replies

• lbadmus
    lbadmus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Even though there's no hard and fast rule, it should be pretty apparent when you become keto adapted.

For me, it was about four weeks in. My energy level was even and consistent. I was able to do everything I needed to do (in terms of work and exercise) without fatigue. One notable change was right before a hike, I only had a chance to have a couple tablespoons of heavy cream instead of the full meal I normally have. I ended up beating my pr by a significant amount, and I felt great afterward.

Also, hunger feels different. I still get hungry, but it's never that ravenous, gnawing hunger that was all too familiar on a HCLF diet. It's a manageable hunger that can be ignored for hours without adverse effects (headaches, crankiness, etc.).
  • Groitgard
    Options
    It took about a week for me to lose any trace of the keto flu, and another three weeks or so until my energy levels were pre-diet.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For many women the older you are the longer it takes, with IF, Keto, etc..not to worry, sticking with it and YOUR body will respond in it's own time. Dr Herring of Fast-5 IF says 4 weeks for women, buff 23 yr old males much faster, over 60, metabolic issues, health issues, Medications, and sleep apnea all mess with the body's ability…it is truly not just CICO for every person. :D
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined…..
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't remember as it has been over two years, but most people take about 4 weeks of ketosis. For some it could take a bit longer, say up to 6 weeks.
  • JAnn319
    JAnn319 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It takes between 4-6 weeks.... The body has to create the enzymes necessary to make the energy switch between glucose to fat. Our bodies have to go through a lot to make the permanent switch! :)
  • JAnn319
    Options
    I just started Ketogenesis, but now the whole body (and hormones) have to get on board with the new energy source information, 2-3 more weeks lol!
  • JAnn319
    Options
    Its just fascinating!!! Our bodies are perfect!