WHY CAN'T they add a "net carb" category???? Just venting

Options
jennmac415
jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
I dont see why, when so many people have indicated they would like a net carb category added to the nutrition values, that MFP just won't do it! I know..... I know, its easy to figure out my net carbs by subtracting the fiber but I hate seeing that big red negative in the carb column. Its psychological I guess. Anyway, just venting. Sorry.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just venting with you!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I use the script that adds it for me, but I also can't stand the app, so it doesn't matter to me that it doesn't work on the app, only the computer. It's really a mixed bag - I used sparkpeople for years. It does a better job of tracking recipes, nutrients, macros and calories than MFP, but the only way to see net carbs is to run a report that lists it separately. I switched over here when I read about the script that lets you see it directly on your tracking info, but it hasn't really lived up to the trade off. I still have to track on both sites just to keep track of things MFP doesn't think matter at all.
  • walkerssc
    walkerssc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Atkins app is great! The only problem is its not compatible with my Note 4
  • jennmac415
    Options
    I use MFP because I can link it to my Jawbone UP24, I log steps and workouts in Jawbone and food in MFP, and they sync together. I dont think the Atkins app can link to Jawbone. Its just so silly and frustrating, when so many people have requested it, that MFP refuses to listen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I had to wager a guess, I would assume that it is because MFP as a whole doesn't buy into an one way of eating program, and that would be considered a custom macro. It tracks standard macros. Maybe the diabetic group could push for it better than us? For them it is a medical need, really, right?

That and they tend to screw up everything they improve. All improvements are backlogged. They'd need an explanation to a ton of newbies what net carbs is and why it is different. It might be more difficult for them to code up front. It would create a whole new macro field not currently tracked on or imported from labels... Etc., etc., etc.
  • jennmac415
    Options
    You are probably right, Knit, but I dont see how they could think that by simply adding in another value that is tracked, it somehow means that they are endorsing a certain way of eating. You are right, it is an important value for diabetics to track and if I was diabetic I probably would find another app since they dont seem to care that diabetics need to know net carbs. I guess I think the app should track everything and people can be free to choose what values they actually follow depending on what is important to each person 's specific way of eating and goals. (I'm on my soapbox today I guess) :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The fields are based on what's typically on US nutrition labels. That's also why vitamin A and C are on it, but not D, E, K, or B. And why iron and calcium are on it, but not the hundred other minerals. Net carbs isn't on the label, so it's not in MFP.

That said, if you use the website primarily, you can do the userscript detailed here -- http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/ -- to get net carbs. Also adds some nice little graphs and extra percentage information to the diary.
  • jennmac415
    Options
    Thanks, Dragon. I only use my phone or ipad, almost never a laptop, so I dont know if any if those script things will install for me.