no ketones in my blood

Options
JAnn319
JAnn319 Posts: 28 Member
Hola! Been in Keto for 6 days now. Checked my blood for the 1rst time today.... and nothing....

My numbers: 15g Carbs/45g Prot. 107gFat/ Calories -1200
Been keeping up with my numbers very closely...

Any insights?

Replies

• cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can take a look.
    On a side note, your protein levels are really low which could result in muscle loss versus fat.
  • JAnn319
    Options
    Hmmm.... Thought my diary was open...
  • JAnn319
    Options
    Hmmm... My proteins meat portions are 4oz....
  • JAnn319
    Options
    ...and I'm also short..
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    While some folks can keto-adapt more quickly and easier than others, it can take some time for your body to get into the swing of things. Keto-adaptation can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks, or longer, depending on metabolic or other health issues.

Have you used one of the keto calculators to get advisement on your macros?

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

I'd start there, see how what your doing measures up to their recommendations, and then look through your diary. Do you exercise?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    While some folks can keto-adapt more quickly and easier than others, it can take some time for your body to get into the swing of things. Keto-adaptation can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks, or longer, depending on metabolic or other health issues.

Have you used one of the keto calculators to get advisement on your macros?

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

I'd start there, see how what your doing measures up to their recommendations, and then look through your diary. Do you exercise?

This.

I knocked myself out of ketosis on Friday (after a week of measured ketosis, and probably actually being in it longer), and I'm still not fully back into it (this morning's reading was 0.3). For someone just starting out, it's going to take quite a bit longer, as they still need to build the "equipment" necessary to use the ketones, so it's going to try to go through other means to get sugar for a little while.

@JAnn319‌ - Give it time. Focus on the food for now. Make sure you're eating enough food (I generally advise against intentionally restricting calories for the first couple of weeks -- your body is going through enough changes, and the stress of restricting calories can just exacerbate the side effects), drinking enough water, and getting plenty of fat. The rest will fall into place.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't see your diary. Are you drinking alcohol?

ETA: I just re-read that and it sounds like the statement and question go together. They do not. Alcohol consumption can be a barrier to ketosis in some folks.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JAnn319 wrote: »
    Hola! Been in Keto for 6 days now. Checked my blood for the 1rst time today.... and nothing....

My numbers: 15g Carbs/45g Prot. 107gFat/ Calories -1200
    Been keeping up with my numbers very closely...

Any insights?
    When you say you, "checked your blood", I assume its a "Ketones" meter?

Did you check it after eating? If you water fast for 12 hours, check it then and see what it measures.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan