organic nut butter recommendations

Options
Hi fellow clean eaters,

Looking to up my game and try an organic, non gmo nut butter again. I currently use Skippy Natural- which is neither organic or non gmo, but it did have a reduced sugar content:). Have tried organic pb in the past, but never cared for the oil puddle!

Have done some reading up on pb2 and decided that's not an option for me. Didn't realize it was a dehydrated powder.

I love pb and find it's become a "go to" food in my pantry. I use it almost daily in smoothies and for snacks.

Any favorites?
Any busts?

Thanks!!
Robin

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do you have a powerful blender? Just make your own. I make my own unsalted almond butter. All I use are unsalted roasted almonds and blend away. Yum!!!
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Do you have a powerful blender? Just make your own. I make my own unsalted almond butter. All I use are unsalted roasted almonds and blend away. Yum!!!

Unfortunately, I dont think my blender could handle making nut butter.

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I buy organic Almond butter already made - I use it to dip my apple at my afternoon snack time. Superstore sells it way cheaper than health food stores.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've found that the best nut butters come from my local farmer's market. I would highly suggest making your own as suggested above or experimenting with some locally grown stuff!
  • rendress269
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    I've found that the best nut butters come from my local farmer's market. I would highly suggest making your own as suggested above or experimenting with some locally grown stuff!

Thanks, Ryan. I'll check the local market. Bought some Barney Butter, which is non gmo, but not organic.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I made chestnut butter recently. With 60#s Chinese Chestnuts in freezer I figured I'd give it a try.

1 cup chestnut meat
    1/2 cup walnuts
    2 Tablespoons oil
    3 Tablespoon water
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Used food processor. Chestnuts have very mild flavor, hence walnuts added. It's still very mild. Plan to use it next time I make fruit/nut bars to offset high caloric values of peanut and almond butter.
  • rendress269
    Options
    I guess I'll need to invest in a good food processor. I have a blender and food chopper, but doubt either will handle the task.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow clean eaters,

Looking to up my game and try an organic, non gmo nut butter again. I currently use Skippy Natural- which is neither organic or non gmo, but it did have a reduced sugar content:). Have tried organic pb in the past, but never cared for the oil puddle!

Have done some reading up on pb2 and decided that's not an option for me. Didn't realize it was a dehydrated powder.

I love pb and find it's become a "go to" food in my pantry. I use it almost daily in smoothies and for snacks.

Any favorites?
    Any busts?

Thanks!!
    Robin

I either blend my own (Vitamix blender) or by the jarred varieties. I find there is no oil puddle to deal with if, before you open the jar, just turn it upside down for a couple days, then turn it up right for a day or so. Mixes easy, and no oil after you open and then store it in the fridge.
  • alealessia_13
    Options
    I'm buying all the nut butters in Holland &Barret (favourite ones almond,peanut and hazelnut) they are organic, made with 99.5% roasted nut and 0.5% salt. the oil separation 100% natural as well.

they are seriously amazing! you can feel it s natural and keeps you full for 4-5hous! :-)