Ketosis

Options
Hi! I'm new to the forums and LCHF but I've done tons of research but I don't understand how I will know if I'm in "ketosis" or not. I don't have any strips so I'm just looking for signs or symptoms as indications. Thanks in advance! All of your threads and posts are worth their weight in gold for newbies and I'm so glad I found this group!

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennsellstx and welcome. I felt the same way and, being a person that loves exact science, facts and figures, I bought myself a blood ketone measuring machine. Then I read someone say that if your carbs are under 20g per day then you *are* in ketosis. But it's still fun to measure :D
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of information available at the Launch Pad linked at the top of the board.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039052/please-do-not-open-for-now-lp01

I've found the whole group to be hugely helpful.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The ratio calulator at flexible ketogenic helps work out if what you are eating will put you in ketosis or not. I try to ensure that what I eat works out >1.5

Good luck
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you have money to burn, buy a Ketonix. Otherwise, if you keep your carbs down to below 20 (like the other's said) you will go into ketosis. Water fasting will get you into ketosis.

Please note that going into Ketosis is not the end-all goal. Getting Keto-Adapted is. That means you stay in ketosis consecutively for 2-6 weeks and your body will change the way you process food. You may get the Keto Flu. Which is not a time to quit the diet, but a time to pay attention to your electrolytes (magnesium, potassium & sodium).

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Signs to watch for - your breath will smell sweet or metallic, with a similar taste in your mouth, that's acetone. The smell of your urine and/or perspiration may change. Some people feel colder when they first go in, and your skin may be dry (drink lots of water either way).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Is really dry, chafed lips a sign, because I'm about ready to die over this. It's been 3-4 days and I am miserable. Nothing helps. I get on average 120-130 ounces of water a day... Then some added from foods... I use shea butter and other natural butter lip balms, but I can't wear them all the time. The only thing that feels moderately better is when eating a fat bomb, if I let the fats rest on my lips for a little... Was wondering if I majorly need to jump my fats for a little while to adjust...
  • JPW1990
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Is really dry, chafed lips a sign, because I'm about ready to die over this. It's been 3-4 days and I am miserable. Nothing helps. I get on average 120-130 ounces of water a day... Then some added from foods... I use shea butter and other natural butter lip balms, but I can't wear them all the time. The only thing that feels moderately better is when eating a fat bomb, if I let the fats rest on my lips for a little... Was wondering if I majorly need to jump my fats for a little while to adjust...

Are you watching electrolytes? If you're low there, that will add to drying you out, even if you're drinking plain water.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm getting good sodium. My "goal" is set around 4500 mg, and I get at least one cup of buillion broth a day. I use my lite salt whenever I think of it, and I have a multi with both magnesium and potassium in it, and I take a separate magnesium supplement every other day (due to the MG and difficulty cutting pills in half). Is there a better way to track it? The only thing dry that I've noticed on my whole body (aside from naturally cold weather related slight dryness) is my lips. This is only day 8 of keto, but day 42 since I went low carb (below 50 net carbs)...
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options

When this happens to me I just use straight up coconut oil as a lip remedy. Spoon a bit into a small container (an empty chapstick container or a small Altoids tin works) and use your finger to apply as often as needed.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    I'm getting good sodium. My "goal" is set around 4500 mg, and I get at least one cup of buillion broth a day. I use my lite salt whenever I think of it, and I have a multi with both magnesium and potassium in it, and I take a separate magnesium supplement every other day (due to the MG and difficulty cutting pills in half). Is there a better way to track it? The only thing dry that I've noticed on my whole body (aside from naturally cold weather related slight dryness) is my lips. This is only day 8 of keto, but day 42 since I went low carb (below 50 net carbs)...

I can track it more closely on sparkpeople, because they have full nutritional info for all basic foods. I don't know that most people need to be that careful of it, especially if you're supplementing. For me it's medical, so I'm always trying to balance between supplementing enough, but not going so far as to destroy an organ or two.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't have the "good" magnesium, and I've had problems taking too much of it (I get the cleansing effects, like the kind they give you before a colonoscopy...lol). Potassium, I've been getting good amounts in my greens and chicken legs... Sodium, I can tell when I have too little, I get headaches and I get cranky. Plus I don't know really what I should be getting.

Also, there are the days that I have negative gastro effects from a medication, and I'm considered that all my waste becoming liquid for a day destroys this electrolyte balance further...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

When this happens to me I just use straight up coconut oil as a lip remedy. Spoon a bit into a small container (an empty chapstick container or a small Altoids tin works) and use your finger to apply as often as needed.

Since I finally have some, I'm totally going to try this. I think I have a tin that might work. Thanks for the idea!!
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Someone needs to bring these back:
    399e781a954a8b48ee204859209dbf86.jpg
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    Spoon a bit [of coconut oil] into a small container (an empty chapstick container or a small Altoids tin works) and use your finger to apply as often as needed.

I went :o at this. Coconut oil is liquid for us except in the dead of winter (which I can no longer remember) but yes, coconut oil is brilliant for your skin and hair so I really hope this helps you Knit. I've always suffered really badly with chapped lips but now they're great on LCHF. I really hope yours improve very soon!

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Someone needs to bring these back:
    399e781a954a8b48ee204859209dbf86.jpg

Well...looks like I might just add the slide tins I found to my collection and make a line of chapstick. I usually use essential oils, but I'm sure I could find some good flavor oils to use. :smiley: