Where to begin?

Options
So I have been out of the loop with weight training for a long time! What suggestions can you make for a person beginning strength training? Should I start off with twice a week and increase after a month? I am trying my best to start off slow and to do it right. Any websites that help with form and techniques--I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend checking out Nia Shanks' Beginning Strength Training Guide. She's got a lot of great information for someone just starting out and she also has a lot of great programs that you can purchase once you're ready to progress more. I use her programs and absolutely love them. Here's a link: http://www.niashanks.com/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide/

I've also done NROL4W in the past and thought it was a good starting point, but as the stages progressed, I felt the workouts got too long and too intense. I would leave the gym exhausted. With Nia's programs I spend 45ish minutes doing each workout and leave feeling energized while still making awesome strength gains.
  • elisel2171
    elisel2171 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you overcome the fear of entering the weight training room at a gym?
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, getting over the fear pretty much required a "fake it til you make it" strategy. Before my first ever lifting session, I watched lots of videos to make sure I understood what the moves were supposed to look like. I was starting with squats and had no idea what a squat rack was so I watched videos that showed how to set up and properly use a squat rack. This helped me build some confidence before ever walking into the weight room. Once I got there, I knew what I was supposed to be doing even though I'd never actually done it before. It really, really helped.

The guys in the weight room were definitely intimidating at first. Lots of heavy weights and grunting and dropping weights. I just kept reminding myself that I had just as much right to be there as them, but it took some time to feel like I truly belonged. It just takes some time to really build that confidence and get over the fear.

Another odd thing that seemed to help me was assuming a power pose in between sets. I actually did this sub-consciously at first without even realizing it. I just naturally gravitate to a Wonder Woman pose in between sets and I think it actually helps build confidence. There is research to support that people who spend time in a power pose before a nervous situation (think job interview) actually have more confidence. It sounds odd, but may be worth a try.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I am also thinking of stepping in the weight training stage myself.
    I also have the fear of going to the weights and machine area full of bulky people..

I sadly have no one that I can go to the gym with. So I am kinda feeling lost as to where or how to start. I have watched a lot of videos etc but last time when looked in the machine area, the leg press machine looked different to what I knew, so I chickened out :(
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad. I like the power pose idea.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I might get a PT for the first session so that they can show me around.... and also include the power pose!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with all of the replies. Take advantage of any free or introductory sessions your gym may offer. If you can afford it, pay for one or more private or small group PT sessions. Finally, above all else, focus on your form. Proper form will go a long way towards preventing injury. When you get into heavier weights, proper form is critical and needs to happen with little to no thought.

Oh, one more thing (so the finally above was lie, I guess!). If your gym offers strength based group fitness classes (body pump, boot camp, body works, etc.). These are also a good way to ease into strength training. Just by hyper cautious of your form. The quality and ability of the instructor to coach on proper form is limited by class size.
  • SeattleGal2015
    SeattleGal2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hskriver wrote: »
    For me, getting over the fear pretty much required a "fake it til you make it" strategy. Before my first ever lifting session, I watched lots of videos to make sure I understood what the moves were supposed to look like. I was starting with squats and had no idea what a squat rack was so I watched videos that showed how to set up and properly use a squat rack. This helped me build some confidence before ever walking into the weight room. Once I got there, I knew what I was supposed to be doing even though I'd never actually done it before. It really, really helped.

The guys in the weight room were definitely intimidating at first. Lots of heavy weights and grunting and dropping weights. I just kept reminding myself that I had just as much right to be there as them, but it took some time to feel like I truly belonged. It just takes some time to really build that confidence and get over the fear.

Another odd thing that seemed to help me was assuming a power pose in between sets. I actually did this sub-consciously at first without even realizing it. I just naturally gravitate to a Wonder Woman pose in between sets and I think it actually helps build confidence. There is research to support that people who spend time in a power pose before a nervous situation (think job interview) actually have more confidence. It sounds odd, but may be worth a try.

Love this!

• beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, if you have access to a class like BodyPump where they use weights, that is a great place to start. The instructor will help you out while you get used to the equipment and you can blend in. You could also get a cheap set from walmart and start to practice at your home; bodybuilders.com has great videos for your form to avoid getting hurt. I started this way about a year ago just because it was offered during my break/ lunch hour. I had no intention of strength training and was just focusing on cardio/ weight loss. I then started to at home, and my husband got into it. Just recently, I have been fitting in two sessions at the gym a week in the weight area plus my 3 days of cardio. I want to work up to 3:3. I felt awkward my first time, but then was like, meh I don't care what they think. If anything, they are nicer about sharing equipment with me as opposed to the other males. Also, check out the Fitness Buddy App. They have a video library with a short gif of about every workout you can imagine. You can program your own workout, and click on the name to see how it is done again while tracking your reps/ set easily. So, I can take a peak at it and look like I know what I am doing... hehe