Endoscopy/Colonoscopy advice?

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
Today is prep day for my Endoscopy/Colonoscopy. I ate a piece of pizza at 9pm last night because I figured if there was ever a time to cheat last night was it! :) Any advice for tomorrow (and the days follow)? I really want to use this opportunity to improve my diet even more. After this I only have a sleep study to complete and I will be cleared for surgery.

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The endoscopy should be no big deal, you will sleep through almost all of it.

Randy RN
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember the endoscopy, I was out cold! as far as improving your diet, practice now what you will have to live later - high protein, low carb, portion control, sipping lots of water, and moving. I lost 70lbs prior to surgery as a result of changing my diet and adding exercise into my life. I truly believe that making these changes before surgery helped me get through the surgery with minimal discomfort, my recovery was easy, and I was able to transition to my new way of eating after surgery easily. Good luck to you, the closer you get, the more exciting it is!!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As Randy said you will sleep through the colonoscopy! Actually the same for the sleep study albeit wired up to all kinds of monitors!
    My suggestion is to follow the guidelines your Bariatric Dr gives you. Sometimes it doesn't all make sense to us but they know what they are doing and why. I am 10 days post op and doing great. Now is truly the time to deal with any food issues or difficult habits you have. I found in my 2 week Pre Op diet that I really had to learn to distinguish between true hunger and Head Hunger! Times I was sure I was hungry, I found, after having a cup of hot tea of coffee I wasn't hungry at all. Don't be shy about asking questions! Eating high protein will be a way of life for you so start to sample protein drinks and find out which ones you like before you really need them! I taste tested quite a few products before I found what I really liked. Good luck!!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I don't even remember the endoscopy, I was out cold! as far as improving your diet, practice now what you will have to live later - high protein, low carb, portion control, sipping lots of water, and moving. I lost 70lbs prior to surgery as a result of changing my diet and adding exercise into my life. I truly believe that making these changes before surgery helped me get through the surgery with minimal discomfort, my recovery was easy, and I was able to transition to my new way of eating after surgery easily. Good luck to you, the closer you get, the more exciting it is!!

Sing it, Sister!

I had a similarly successful pre-op weight loss, and was not in a major hurry to get the surgery scheduled. Every pound lost pre-op was one I didn't have to lose post. I even slipped one of my appointments by a month because of a conflict with a vacation. Try to see the pre-op period as an opportunity, rather than a period to be minimized. You'll get less frustrated with delays *and* have the opportunity to lose more pre-op.

Get the habits and behaviors ingrained now and it will be easier to transition to the post-surgery life.

Rob
    I know it is hard, but it is Oh so worth it!

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I made it through my procedures fine and have kept my eating light today. I've established some good habits and I'm not going to rush the process. You are all inspiring and it excites me to see that I may finally be taking the right steps to a truly healthy future.