Help! I am overwhelmed!

Options
2»

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is strictly anecdotal, not a controlled experiment. I have blueberries and walnuts with yogurt 2-3 times per week. When I switched from no fat Greek yogurt to a blend of whole milk Greek yogurt and cream cheese it made a 15+ point reduction in my post meal blood glucose. The switch meant more calories & fat but fewer carbs and an overall better result for me. A bonus, I find the blend much creamier and more satisfying.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this low carb stuff. I am a type 2 diabetic and I have never had nutrition training. I have always lost my weight by counting calories. I was informed by my doctor today that I needed to stop counting calories and aim for no more than 60 carbs a day. This has turned my world upside down. How do I set my fitness pal to only 60 carbs a day when it is in just percentages for the carbs? I am so used to counting calories I don't even know where to start. I have just started trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole wheats. Any advice on how to start slow with this? Thanks for helping this newbie! I really appreciate it!

What Fit_Goat said. Also, if you like math: 1g carb = 4 cal, 1g protein = 4 calories, 1g fat = 9 calories. This means that 240 of your calories (60g carb x 4 cal) should come from carbohydrates. I know when I made the switch, and even still now, calories are still easier to count conceptually for me than a macro nutrient. However, basing meals around a meat/protein and a fat has helped me hit the macros.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    All of the advice you have received so far is excellent. You couldn't find a better group of people to help you with this.

Take a deep breath, you can do this. :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    One more bit of advice I'd recommend: forget everything you think you know about nutrition. There are so many things that have been pounded into our heads (about whole grains and low fat) that just conflict with a low carb lifestyle. E.g., I know someone who has attempted Low Carb so many times, but can't get over a fear of fats, and each time they try, they fail because they just can't eat enough calories in the day and they are constantly hungry. It really helps to drop that old knowledge into the river with cement boots and read all the advice here with an open mind (and stay away from the other forum groups, LOL!)