Blood pressure and exercise

Options
it has come to my attention I have high blood pressure and am meeting w my dr on Monday . Anyone else here also fighting high blood pressure? This is why I am logging and want to lose weight - to stop it. I am unclear on how hard to work when exercising in light of this. Will get clarification from the dr. And report back.
- Thanks .

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much about it, but here's some tips. Avoid heavy lifting and valsalva maneuvers, breath normal. Don't over grip weights or clench fist when training. Avoid extended isometric exercises. Exercise standing or sitting, stand up slowly. You should target 1,500 - 2,000 cal week exercising. Maximize Weight Loss !
    - Good Luck-
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I am going skiing tomorrow and am hopeful the dr will ok my continued cardio 47 minute sessions 3xs a week as I've worked up to that in a months time..,,,
  • Chris50mfp
    Chris50mfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wannabe I am in same boat increased BP because of increased weight working with Dic best idea along with what Charlie said - Here is to getting better, friend me if you want always enjoy new friends and support
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    That's the #1 thing I focus on. Exercising and weight loss has helped me control it so far after stopping medication. I think your current cardio sessions are good. I try to do something everyday. I have noticed that it is better if I keep my heart rate mostly in a lower range (under 140 - for reference zone 1/2)
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Dr said it was okay to continue w exercise but keep my max target heart rate down to no more than 80%- was a bit frustrated to hear that- but- it beats being told I can't exercise at all while we sort out my bp. Trying a medicine in combination w bp rx and will check back in 3 wks to evaluate rxs. He was happy to see I've lost 10 lbs in the 2 mos since I last saw him!