Heat and Humidity effecting weight loss?

Options
kuranda10
kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Can the outside temp/humidity be stalling my weight loss? It is surface of the sun hot right now (on Sunday it was 41 C).
I can open up my diary if anyone wants to see it, but my carbs are under 50, my Protein usually runs high and I use MFP to make sure I'm eating enough. While I do weigh myself I concentrate on the fat%/mass more than the actual weight.

I have lost weight going locarb before but some reason everything is just stagnate right now. I'm doing everything I used to do, except now I'm actually doing aerobic exercise on top of Pilates.

I use FitBit to keep me motivated and I have the Aria scale and according to Trendweight, my fat mass is trending downward, but everything else is trending up.

Any guesses?

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know it's one of the 'go to' answers, but with all that exercise, and if your fat is going downwards then surely you're putting on muscle? I know all too well how awesome it is if the scale is showing a smaller number though.

Guessing you're in (or from) the Queensland Kuranda? What a beautiful spot. Howdy from Perth <3 We had a hot one on Wed with 41° too, or so I heard.

I'm happy to look at your diary if you wish. Just about to go and prepare my dinner.

PS I read yesterday something about heat stopping weight loss until you adapt to it and then you're back on track. I'm guessing it's not usually that hot where you are, or am I wrong?
  • kuranda10
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi.
    I am in Kuranda, but I'm originally from the US, so even after five years here, I'm still not acclimated to this weather. It is always hot up here, but this year has been really bad.

I started doing the aerobics primarily to burn fat. Right now I'm doing/alternating between good old fashioned Jane Fonda Step aerobics, mow the grass (1/2 acre fenced and terraced) and I walk the dogs when possible. They are big and heavy (50 kgs) and don't do well in the heat. And I do pilates every other day.

I'll go set my menu to public for a while.

ETA: I just changed my MFP setting to Lightly active to match the level FitBit gave me. It was set to sedentary.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Slow downs and stalls are a natural part of the process. This month I've been regularly shoveling snow in temperatures as low as -20 F (-29C). Weight loss for this month is about 6 lbs compared for 10 lbs/month for the previous 2 months. I moved down a pants size however so it's all good.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    sure slow downs etc, but I'm not even in ketosis.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Then you're an honorary Aussie so I still see us as sisters.

I think that ketosis only really kicks in if you're eating below 25g carbs (net carbs) per day *and* your protein is low enough not to be turned to excess sugar in your body. You don't have to be *low* protein, but moderate. There are a couple of calculators online where you can enter your grams of Protein, Carb and Fat each meal, or each day, to see if you are eating at ketonic levels. I use this one flexibleketogenic.com/ and really like it.

Ketosis may not be your goal and I believe that low carb still works. I've not been around long, hence all my 'I think/I believe' sentences ;) I'll go look at your diary...
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    OK, you're not tracking fat so I can't see how your percentages are going but the protein does look quite high to me and there seem to be quite a lot of pre-prepared foods, which I believe can be hindering.

If it will help, here's my YouTube playlist on Low Carb High Fat if you feel like watching any of the videos that I've found helpful to me along the way https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVauMCMlEJzyjRWgJ8Fo5Fw6hs8zQsEoz

Obviously there are many ways to be LCHF and the style I've chosen may not suit you, but perhaps it can give you some ideas of which direction you want to go.

Wishing you every success.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    I do know I'm having trouble keeping my calories high and my protein at the 80 range. I refuse to eat below my BMR which is 1400 (give or take)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more fatty sauces, fat loading, and/or fat bombs are in your future! I couldn't managed adjusting to this lifestyle without them, honestly... Good luck.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I do know I'm having trouble keeping my calories high and my protein at the 80 range. I refuse to eat below my BMR which is 1400 (give or take)

It took me a while to reach the end of a day without huge imbalances to what I really wanted to aim for. I guess it's little by little for each of us as we find what works for us and what doesn't.