Need encouragement and advice from veteran Keto-ers!

Options
krichard08
krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Hi everyone. I have been following the KETO WOE for close to 5 weeks now. I've lost track. I lost 7 lbs. the first week. 3 the next and then gained 2 lbs. Then lost those two again and have been at the same weight now for about 2 weeks. I have not cheated and have been tracking my food. I have really re-started my workout routine the last week and a half or so. Alternating the 30 Day Shred with resistance/weight training very other day. Is this a normal occurrence? Could I be doing something wrong? I do not have a blood monitor and really dont want to have to buy one. I do have Keto sticks and they have been indicating Morderate to large for the last week. I don't know. I am feeling discouraged. Please share your experiences and expertise! Thank you! :)

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    No, you're not doing anything wrong. A stall at about 4 weeks is normal. The first couple weeks are largely water weight, then you slow back down to normal weight loss amounts. Also, the body needs to adjust to using fat as its primary fuel source (the water weight loss is from the body using glycogen in an effort to continue using sugar as primary fuel).

Additionally, you started a fairly intense workout program, which will cause you to retain water (necessary to allow healing and muscle growth).

Also, as a head's up -- within the next couple of weeks, your ketostix will "stop working." It only measures the ketones you dump as waste, but as your body adjusts and starts using them for fuel, your body won't waste as much. If you really don't want to buy a blood meter (by the way, the Nova Max is a good one, and they're running a deal - $35 for a meter and 2 boxes of strips; they all do something like that off and on, just Google "free ketone meter" and you can usually find someone doing it), then keep that in mind, and remember that as long as you've kept your macros about the same as they are now, you're probably still in ketosis. (If you're discouraged this easily, though, it might be a good idea to pick up a blood meter, so you can see your actual ketosis level.)
  • krichard08
    Options
    Thank you very much for replying! I just needed some reassurance that what's happening is somewhat normal and not me royally screwing everything up! lol I have been fighting the weight loss battle since May of 2013 and have gone up and done (on a reg. Calories In/Calories out regimen) and working out before completely falling off the wagon on everything from July until 5 weeks ago. Total since May 2013 i have gone from 215 lbs. to my current 186. I totally sabotaged myself over the Summer and had some delusions that the weight would just start falling off once I started Keto WOE. I definitely will not give up on it because I have seen too many before and after photos that floored me. I believe in the science and have faith in it. I guess I just need to have more faith in ME also!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm far from a veteran of this lifestyle, @krichard08‌ , but I can tell you, the improvements in how I feel alone are worth eating this way for me. I figure if I'm gaining health, the scale will eventually follow. :)
  • krichard08
    Options
    This is very true @KnitOrMiss!!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's your weekly deficit?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The first several months on keto may wreak havoc on your TOM. That includes messing with how much water you retain throughout the month compared to what used to be normal for you. For some women you'll even get 2 a month at first. It really depends on how drastic the change is in your diet from how you were eating before. The trade off is you'll usually get a huge drop a few days to a week after it starts.

That factor combined with the exercise you've added may make it look like you're yo-yoing for a month or two, but it's not fat doing that, just water.
  • krichard08
    Options
    @JPW1990 good things to know and consider! I @kikor using http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ , my calculations are based on a 20% deficit..if that's what you mean.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf gave you great advice. I spent week four a few pounds heavier than my lowest weight before I started dropping again. You'll be gaining muscle from your exercise so the scale may not change as muscle weighs more than fat. Judge your fat loss by your measurements. When a cell loses it's fat it pulls in water and holds onto it for awhile. Eventually it lets it go and it's called the whooshing effect. It explains why one day you can wake up and weigh yourself and you'll all of a sudden 2 pounds lighter.
  • krichard08
    Options
    Thank you @cdn_beaver! I'm so glad to have everyone's perspective!
  • krichard08
    Options
    This is the craziest scale roller coaster ever!!! I hop on the scale this morning just for the heck of it and today it's 2 lbs. lighter than yesterdays reading. I believe the scale is engaging in some type of slow torture to ultimately drive me insande!! lol
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    krichard08 wrote: »
    This is the craziest scale roller coaster ever!!! I hop on the scale this morning just for the heck of it and today it's 2 lbs. lighter than yesterdays reading. I believe the scale is engaging in some type of slow torture to ultimately drive me insande!! lol

Mine did that too. I hated it, so I switched to only weighing in on Thursdays.

Dan the Man From Michigan
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It was driving me crazy as well. I only weigh on Fridays now. If its higher then I just tell myself I probally missed a low day.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It was driving me crazy as well. I only weigh on Fridays now. If its higher then I just tell myself I probally missed a low day.

LOL..."like"
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily or close to it, as well as logging it whenever I weigh even if it's higher. But I keep in mind that if I gained 3 pounds in 2 days there's no way that it's either fat or muscle, just water.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily makes me feel better. I see the ups and downs daily, and it makes it much easier for me to accept them as normal. If I weigh weekly and I gain weight I don't know if I've been trending down and the weigh-in day is just the one anomoly, or if I'm actually gaining weight. Daily weighin reduces/removes my anxiety about this :)

For others that weigh weekly or less often, I totally understand why that works for you. To each their own here.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher when in weight loss mode. I find if I am not weighing daily, I am avoiding the scale for a reason. I accept ups and downs when weighing daily, as long as the trend is downward I am happy.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I could be described as a "veteran keto-er" (and Paleo) but I'm WAY more focused on health than the scale. Been here a long time, faced lots of challenges including learning that I will NEVER be able to eat moderate carbs and be ok (T2 diabetic). The only thing that you are doing wrong is being obsessed with the scale. Why do you let a number on the scale discourage you? It only indicates gravity's effect on your body. In fact, you can be feeling "discouraged" over muscle gain and that's silly. Scale obsession and finding motivation only with consistently declining numbers is not sustainable for the long term. Why is it a race? When you reach your goal do you go back to how you ate before? Or is this a lifetime change?

After years of working on improving my health, which I'm mostly succeeding in, my best advice is to shift your focus from scale weight to achieving optimal health. Non scale victories are the win.
  • krichard08
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, but from my point of view steadily declining weight numbers are more motivating than constantly remaining or climbing numbers. It's not a race but if this WOE isn't going to work for me to lose weight and maintain my goal weight then there is no sense in following this lifestyle. This was my main concern and why I wanted everyone's opinion on if I am following everything correctly and if they have had similar experiences. I applaud you for finding a WOE for your situation I just hope that I find that to be true for me and my needs as well. If this is a race, this is the longest race I have ever been in!! lol It's taken me almost 2 years to lose 28 lbs!!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    krichard08 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I have been following the KETO WOE for close to 5 weeks now. I've lost track. I lost 7 lbs. the first week. 3 the next and then gained 2 lbs. Then lost those two again and have been at the same weight now for about 2 weeks. I have not cheated and have been tracking my food. I have really re-started my workout routine the last week and a half or so. Alternating the 30 Day Shred with resistance/weight training very other day. Is this a normal occurrence? Could I be doing something wrong? I do not have a blood monitor and really dont want to have to buy one. I do have Keto sticks and they have been indicating Morderate to large for the last week. I don't know. I am feeling discouraged. Please share your experiences and expertise! Thank you! :)

K,

I looked at your diary. You're doing a fine job with keeping your carbs down (much better than I am doing). I see your daily calorie intake being kinda high. I am 253 lbs and in order for me to lose, I have to eat about 1400 cal @ day or less. What I am noticing is, that some people like Fit_Goat can keep his carbs really low (not eating plants) and he can eat crazy amounts of calories and maintain/lose. I don't think that works for everybody and I don't know why. I would suggest you lower your cal's down a couple hundred, and maybe do a 24 hr water fast (or just skip a day of eating) to break things loose.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @krichard08‌ Another thing to consider too, is that it is recommended that you stick with any dietary changes for a minimum of 3 months, preferably 6 months, to see a true impact of the program. Nearly ever eating method has different initiation periods and adjustment periods, and around 5 weeks hasn't even given you a chance to level out really.

And as far as progress, if you didn't put on far more than ten pounds in one month (without health condition or medicinal side effect, this is very unlikely), it's not realistic to expect to drop it at a significantly faster rate than you gained it. It is far harder to lose weight than it was to gain in.

We all want all of our hard work to pay off in progress RIGHT NOW, but weight loss is not a simple math equation. If it were, none of us would need to be here in the first place, right? You may bust every bit of your tail this week, and the losses from that show up 2 weeks from now. Especially as this way of eating burns fat. The body then fills those empty fat cells with water (which is more dense than fat, and the same volume can easily weigh more, hence the down and back up effect) until it is absolutely certain those fat cells are not needed any more, then it can release the fat. This sometimes happens in a "whoosh" and a lot at once. Other times, bodies regulate more slowly.

And what the others were talking about as far as looking elsewhere from the scale, have you lost inches? Are your clothes fitting better? I got down to 244 and change, dropped an pants size, when back up to almost 249 (where I couldn't wear the smaller size before), but I can still wear the smaller size, so obviously my body is doing something I don't currently understand.

Patience and perseverance are what we need right now. Motivation is fickle. Determination will see you through. Your numbers alone for weight my not match up to your expectations, because as you gain muscle and lose fat, your pounds could stay the same, but you could lose far more in inches. One number is taking things out of context. You need measurements, pictures, blood work, and then the scale for a true picture of progress and success....