Do you tell people you are IFing when discussing weight loss?

Options
This is honestly stemming from something I posted on another board and now I'm curious.

I am also doing AIP (stricter version of paleo for people with autoimmune diseases to heal). It's very hard, and I'm seeking out support any way I can. I started a thread on my whole30 site, and made the "mistake" of mentioning that I do IF. They frown upon this big time and I've had a bunch of mods comment on my post acting "concerned" and saying things like "you're starving yourself" and "why do FAD diets?" also saying in such words that it's not healthy for women to do this.

While that is extremely frustrating, it made me wonder....

When people notice that you've lost weight, or you mention that you've lost weight and people ask "how did you do it?" do you tell them what you are doing?

In my experience everyone says "that's pretty extreme!!" or "That doesn't sound healthy"
and I just get so tired of defending myself and feeling like "Am I really doing wrong here?" I don't feel starved, sick, or faint. I'm very happy that I'm FINALLY losing weight, and in a way i think it's helped my relationship with food a ton more than a whole30

Any way, just curious!

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have nothing to hide, quite the opposite! And I don't have to "defend" myself. Results trumps ignorance! If anyone has objections:

a) it's none of their business.
    b) fat melting away, inflammation down, knees better, IBS better, insulin resistance better. Better control of hunger and overeating. Regular CICO deficit did NOT help me on these issues.
    What's NOT to like ?
    c) they don't carry your weight or health problems. So it's none of their business.

If you get tired of people having opinions, don't talk about it...or bomb them with info that support your arguments: Krista Varady is a good source for medical studies, since she's studied IF protocols for more than 10 years.

Or you can just ignore the criticism. It really doesn't matter what other people think or say as long as it works for you. Stay true to yourself :)

Edit: Like you, 5:2 was my last resort. And it worked for weight loss. I think probably a lot of people in our situation, and they should know about this technique. But if you don't wanna fight those battles, that's ok. Cost benefit. Do what works for you.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My results spoke for themselves ;-) Luckily for me, I did not suffer from any serious health issues other than the weight itself.

If people are interested, I explain the concept of 5:2. If they say unnatural, unhealthy to skip meals etc.... I just say, cavemen didn't have regular meals either and our digestive system hasn't changed since then. Slim people tend to cycle cals naturally. I don't, so I do 5:2. We are still made for feasting and fasting. That gets most of them thinking....

If not...I don't defend myself either. I just say to each his own, but it has worked for me. 29kg in a year is not nothing ;-)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The quite irrational fear of temporary hunger from so many people is really quite revealing - no wonder there is such an explosion of obesity. I don't have any problem with people taking opposite or differing views but it's he almost instinctive "I couldn't do that therefore it can't be good for you" reactions that surprise me.
    Even when I say it's just skipping breakfast and having two small meals some people are just horrified at the thought of it.

I'm happy to tell anyone that wants to know about 5:2 as it's been such a life changer for me. If that involves challenging a few misconceptions and entrenched attitudes then so be it.

I did have a colleague mocking me for refusing his offer of sweets (candy) on a fast day but when I pointed out he is younger than me, has had a triple heart bypass, is diabetic, has a big beer belly and is totally sedentary he decided to refrain from giving out any more diet advice.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I haven't mentioned it to many people. They tend to freak out. My sister got all worried when she thought it was starving myself lol. However once I explained about learning what is hunger and what is wanting food she got a bit more interested. My husband isn't very supportive but my losing weight this last two weeks in a row kinda speak for themselves.
    Don't listen to the haters, they are only acting the way they do through ignorance
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OMG the world out there are just the bunch of food and weight loss experts aren't they? Not!!!

1st of all my doctor recommended 5:2 for me so as far as I am concerned, the qualified medical professional IS the expert, nobody else.

Secondly, I think fasting is GOOD FOR US both mentally and physically unless we have a certain medical condition (eg diabetes). Others should understand that we are not going to drop dead from one day of no food! If we see results in weight loss, that means it works. Simple. All this starvation crap others talk about saying we should eat 6 meals a day has never agreed with me and I think is a bit ridiculous. I always end up more hungry, overeat, overweight, same problem doing the same thing. It is not until we do something different where we will see a different result.

Thirdly, both religious and non-religious groups have been doing this for centuries and the fact that our ancestors, cavemen and the like survived on either feast or famine, it was natural for them to eat this way.

This is not anorexia starving yourself and that is what people dont understand. Up to you if you tell them or not but if you do tell them, prepare an answer ready for them or just say nothing and think "I dont have to justify what I am doing to them!"

You know what I think? I think they are probably secretly jealous because the thought of having no food for 24 hours scares them and if they cannot achieve what you have achieved on their "normal" 6 meals a day or whatever it is they think of as being the standard diet and exercise program.

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'll be telling my know it all friends that yayyyyyy i just lost ANOTHER 2kgs
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    go karen_fitzgibbon yeah you tell em! lol
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    This may also be an interesting thing for you to explore since it seems to be emotionally upsetting you. I find the work we do here is not just about our weight but who we are as people. It helps the process when we know what makes us tick. As I read the posts here and saw all the different ways people would respond to the same comments, I thought a great question to ask yourself is why do the comments on the other board bother you? Your reaction might be trying to tell you something important for you to know about yourself in relationship to others.

Just my two cents. Take what you can use and throw the rest away.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I think, you've got something there, jknight. While I was writing my comment, I reflected on just that. I was so convinced from the beginning, that I had found the key to my weight problems (inside and out), that people, who knew me, did not question my decision. They watched, were amazed and quite a few started asking me questions on the hows and whys and picked up 5:2 themselves.

The most important part of it all, imo, is I am convinced 5:2 is right for me and can articulate this, but I allow room for people, that say, no not for me, or not right now, or I prefer daily restriction, low carb, etc. If it works for them, fine with me. That's just not for me, but I have 5:2 :)

Because I don't argue with the sceptics, I just state my own opinion and my own experience, they probably don't feel 'attacked' and the discussions are either interesting or end there.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting. I kept thinking for the last few weeks...It would be so much easier to do this diet if it was just me, no one else involved or judging. But then I thought...well why should this be the case. I should be in control of what I put in my body and I am (no one is there with a spoon shoving it in). It's so easy to say that people can say what they want and it no of their beeswax (which is absolutely true), but it does...how can I put it...give you bad vibes. It's just about shaking it off and doing whats best for you!

For me doing 5:2 got me to a good place mentally and physically. But I do have to say I find it much easier to do when my hubby's at work ;)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    snaps27 wrote: »

For me doing 5:2 got me to a good place mentally and physically. But I do have to say I find it much easier to do when my hubby's at work ;)

A big high 5 for you!

I know, it's easier for me to do, because I only need to cook for myself. Thus any temptations in the house, were put there by ME!! I have a high amount of respect for everyone cooking for loved ones and still sticking to each fast.

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your answers! I didn't mean to disappear! I do not get on the forums/groups on the weekends. Just quickly log in on my phone.

You all have great points. I don't know WHY I'm worried what others think. I don't think it's "worry" so much as it just bothers me that people think I'm starving myself. Even the simple explanation of how it works, and people look at me like I'm nuts. I also guess I do worry if that somehow this isn't good for me, which is ridiculous, because I've done a lot of reading.

You guys are right. I'm going to focus on being comfortable with what I'm doing, because it IS working, and that's ALL that matters!
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I defy anyone who watched Dr Mosley's Horizon documentary to not stop and think...as the wonderful 'sadly missed' Spock (Respect Mr Nimoy RIP) would say "This is Logical Captain"
    Making toast for my Son's breakfast on a fast day is indeed a challenge :s:\B)
  • jknight001
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all of your answers! I didn't mean to disappear! I do not get on the forums/groups on the weekends. Just quickly log in on my phone.

You all have great points. I don't know WHY I'm worried what others think. I don't think it's "worry" so much as it just bothers me that people think I'm starving myself. Even the simple explanation of how it works, and people look at me like I'm nuts. I also guess I do worry if that somehow this isn't good for me, which is ridiculous, because I've done a lot of reading.

You guys are right. I'm going to focus on being comfortable with what I'm doing, because it IS working, and that's ALL that matters!

You are doing great and you seem to be feeling good. That is all that matters. And it's ok if others don't understand. It is part of the human condition.

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've kind of been anticipating this question from more casual friends/acquaintances or co-workers. Obviously, if it's someone close, they already know what you're doing because they see you doing it everyday haha. So far, 49 pounds on a big body doesn't look like much if you don't see me everyday, so I haven't gotten too many questions, but when I do I tell the truth- I'm calorie cycling. It's a bit more acceptable way of saying I'm fasting/varying my calories everyday. "Fasting" sounds extreme and might come with preconceptions, so if it's not someone I'm close with and would actually want to share and talk more in-depth, calorie cycling is an easier answer. I just say I aim for a calorie deficit per week and then varying my calories so I can eat more some days than others. I have never been a strict 5:2-er...I more try to keep with the heart of it, so this is the casual response without having to pull out scientific studies and charts haha.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    When people notice that you've lost weight, or you mention that you've lost weight and people ask "how did you do it?" do you tell them what you are doing?

No way - I talk about food/nutrition/exercise as little as possible, IRL. Nothing good can come of it.

If forced, I say something vague or make a dumb joke and leave it at that. "Eh, I got deloused."
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @Carbi. Calorie cycling is a very elegant answer! Ty, I'm gonna nick that one ;)

I agree with all of you that pushing a diet on someone else is not good. Re-reading my response on top, I can see it may have come off as preaching. I still think that I've got nothing to hide, though :)
  • jknight001
    Options
    @thecarbmonster I love "calorie cycling". Would love to say "I'm just calorie cycling" then just walk away and leave them to figure out what I just said. Would that be too mean? >:)
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Calorie cycling is an excellent term. I use it too. Or I say I do partial fasts, because if you say you are fasting, people tend to think, you eat nothing.

Go for it @jknight001! And enjoy that moment :p
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Partial fasting is good, but people still hear fasting and think it's drastic. Calorie cycling sounds good too, but I think the best is just saying something vague like "Just watching what I eat!" because most people who'd ask are NOT my close friends and they know what I'm doing.