What is your story?

Options
I started this group not because I know all the answers but because I am looking for others like me. I would like to hear about other people's struggles and successes. What is your story?

Replies

• CharissaGudknecht
    CharissaGudknecht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with digestive issues for years. After being hospitalized for internal bleeding in 2008 I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I have tried everything (well almost) to relieve my symptoms. Along the way I had been slowing cleaning up my diet but it never seems to make sense. My boyfriend (now fiancée) kept hounding me about this diet he heard about Autoimmune Paleo. At first I told him NO I am not doing another crazy diet. I was already gluten and dairy free. I was not ready anymore diets but I am glad he kept hounding me because it has been the only thing to really help me. Now I feel like I am finally finding healing. I also starting seeing changes that I was not expecting from skin rashes disappearing and joint pain going away. While I am grateful to find AIP diet and life style it can be very hard to follow which is why I would like to get to know you!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with IBS since I was a child, and always struggled on what to eat or what to do when I have flare-ups, it has been a struggle and at most Dr say eat more fiber, work out and drink water and try to be or get stress-reducing things in my life Hmmm, yeah ok.

However since then, I've had my gallbladder removed and it's been all out of wack in addition to more stress. However I've been trying Paleo web search and other apps and books to see what is working. I do like it so far and feeling a lot better, it seems like it has also reduce migraines but not eliminate them. I'm in favor of group support and efforts.

Looking forward to being here.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was diagnosed with a rare disorder (that experts now think is probably more 'rarely diagnosed' than rare, actually) called a mast cell activation disorder. It basically makes me have a lot of allergic reactions to things I'm not allergic to - anything from a food and pollen to stress or cold water. And the reactions can be low level so they don't SEEM like allergic reactions - headaches, bone or muscle pain, fatigue and feeling foggy headed, inflammation, gut and bowel problems.

It's pretty crazy. (although if anybody ends up here and wants to explore this, here's the most recent diagnostic info. on it. It focuses on the more severe cases with hives and anaphylaxis, but there are plenty of us who rarely get that, and many who never do: http://www.wjgnet.com/2218-6204/pdf/v3/i1/1.pdf )

There are a lot of foods I react to, because of this, including all grains and dairy and pretty much anything processed ever, so paleo recipes tend to fit my needs. And as I tend to have a lot of inflammation from this disorder, a diet that helps lower inflammation levels is one that has helped.

I'm not going to be completely auto-immune paleo compliant, mostly because my diet choices are limited enough that sometimes I've just gotta eat what I can. But I like having a group where there will be others eating a diet that is mostly make-it-yourself, with many ingredients I can use as well. :-)
  • CharissaGudknecht
    Options
    Yeah eating more fiber a lot of times just gives me more problems.

Not having a gallbladder has to be tough. The woman on this podcast had her gallbladder removed. I don't know if this will help or not but I thought I would share.
    http://paleoparents.com/featured/tpv-podcast-episode-16-the-gallbladder-show/
  • CharissaGudknecht
    Options
    Suaumom thanks for sharing and being apart of the group.
  • jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have always had digestive issues too as long as I can remember. I have had a lot of tests done but nothing conclusive. Did the FODMOP diet and I know for sure some things that bother me like dairy, beans, onions, etc. I have epilepsy and have been doing research on gluten and seizures so there is no better time than the present, right!?

I have two daughters, one with migraines and one with epilepsy too so if I can help them with diet I would love too!! Plus my dad has a genetic form of neuropathy and my joints have been hurting lately so I want to start paying attention to my diet and workouts more. Anyway, me in a nutshell!!
  • CharissaGudknecht
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Jessjoye!
  • Shuggieann2003
    Shuggieann2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Jessjoye!

• BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashimotos for over 7 years.. was diagnosed with ai disease #2, celiac disease, February of last year. I went gluten free immediately.

Now my dr thinks i may have ms.

I have put off aip for years because it's daunting. I started last week finally. I'm going through detox and it's awful. It's worse than quitting drinking... i feel horrible.

I know it will pay off so I'm hanging in there.