NEW US dietary guidelines very closely mirror the original SBD plan

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/eggs-coffee-are-in-added-sugars-are-out/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20150220/us-dietary-guidelines-take-aim-at-sugar
The panel said that Americans were eating too much salt, sugar and saturated fat, and not enough foods that fit a “healthy dietary pattern,” like fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fish and moderate levels of alcohol. Members of the panel said they wanted Americans to focus less on individual nutrients and more on overall patterns of eating, such as a Mediterranean-style diet, which is associated with lower rates of heart disease and stroke.

This is a big shift.

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    :D

This makes me laugh so hard! Especially when I see people condescend to "cutting whole food groups out" with the south beach plan.

We were not meant to eat ice cream or cheese cake on the regular. Something that I started doing in my workflowy journal is making lists of foods based off of micros and glycemic load. (I love workflowy) Then I can pick from each level based on how it effects my blood sugar and ensure I'm getting a "varied" diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    :D

This makes me laugh so hard! Especially when I see people condescend to "cutting whole food groups out" with the south beach plan.

We were not meant to eat ice cream or cheese cake on the regular. Something that I started doing in my workflowy journal is making lists of foods based off of micros and glycemic load. (I love workflowy) Then I can pick from each level based on how it effects my blood sugar and ensure I'm getting a "varied" diet.

The original SB diet got stereotyped as a low carb diet, and low carb diets have their own bad stereotype. I agree!
  • tmoneyag99
    Options
    Yeah it's sad really because SBD is so healthy in the long run. Eating the *majority* of your calories from meat, fruit and veggies is a good thing. Heck it's actually help me feed my child better because I *try* not to feed him processed anything. His "Desert" is usually some sort of fruit.
  • tmoneyag99
    Options
    Although I wonder at the "Cut back on red meats" While I don't promote eating red meat for every meal. In moderation and lean cuts it provides very good nutrition and the most bio available Iron.

I think the problem is there is nothing saying "red meat okay limited to 2-3 servings of lean cuts a week" also does this include Lamb and Goat?
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I told my doctor I do South Beach, she said, "Oh, so you are doing low carb." I told her no, not low carb. She said it's a low carb diet. I told her we can have 3 servings of whole grains a day, and she said that's low carb. Huh?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    When I told my doctor I do South Beach, she said, "Oh, so you are doing low carb." I told her no, not low carb. She said it's a low carb diet. I told her we can have 3 servings of whole grains a day, and she said that's low carb. Huh?

WOW! three whole grains and some fruit and that's low carb? eh?