Okay, I know I said I'm leery of "paleo"-ized convenience/snack food, but...

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
I was experiencing an intense craving for something salty and crunchy, like potato chips. I think all the sweet potato chips I've seen are fried in sunflower or soy or safflower or canola oil. When this crunchy-desire has come over me before, I've compromised and eaten... Chex. Really sad stuff. Or maybe I should say SAD stuff. Several of my GF family members eat Chex, so it's not a matter of not buying it and having it in the house. However, I headed them off this time and got a flavor of Chex that I can't stand -- Vanilla.

Anyhow, I was at Trader Joe's the other week and picked up some "crispy crunchy broccoli florets" in their snack aisle -- where I usually pick up seaweed snacks for one of the teens. The only ingredients are broccoli, palm oil, and salt.

I opened the bag and shared them out amongst the three adults in our household.

We all agree, they taste kind of like gourmet potato chips.

Anyhow, I think I'll pick up another bag or two for emergency travel rations. We go to a couple of high school tournaments a month and sometimes it's hard to figure out good, transportable, convenient, healthy food.

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You know, in this instance I would see that as OK. I do occasionally buy something like that, my current favorite being Seaweed Snacks. Similar thing, and I like them a lot!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Kind of like how kale chips surprised me... but mine were homemade. I might try some "Paleo" snacks if i had access but all the raving about things like Larabars drives me to insanity. Dried broccoli would be fun to try. Since I can't get kale locally, I might just do that.

I wouldn't personally be happy about the palm oil. Not because it's unhealthy but that it isn't always ethically sourced. I have some Nutiva palm oil from South America (instead of Asia) that is acceptable... as far as I know. lol

My child loves dulse. Yuck. lol
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    By the way, are you able to order from Penzey's spices? They make this incredible blend called Fox Pointe (or maybe it's"Point") seasoning that lately we have been putting on everything. Meat, roasted veggies, salad dressing, etc.