Metal mouth

so im pretty new to keto/LCHF a and have been doing it for the past two weeks. I have the metallic taste in my mouth and its gross. Does it ever subside??

Replies

• ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Mine eventually went away. I don't remember how long it lasted. Sometimes it comes back. I just brush my teeth a lot!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    so im pretty new to keto/LCHF a and have been doing it for the past two weeks. I have the metallic taste in my mouth and its gross. Does it ever subside??

When your body starts producing "ketones" one of the by-products is acetone. (yes, the same thing that removes nail polish). The acetone is what you're tasting. That means your in ketosis, which is a good thing. I think after a couple of weeks, that will go away as your body "adapts" to the new eating regimen.

I never taste it, even though I am producing a lot of ketones. There may be some others on this list that can comment about how long the taste lasted. Until then, maybe get some tic-tacs, sugar free gum or other breath mints.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2015
    I sometimes taste it when I first wake up in the morning, but that's about it. When you first go on a ketogenic diet, your body kind of freaks out and starts kicking out a lot of ketones - more than you need, in fact. Once you adapt, ketone production will taper off and so will the taste.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Im right there with you, nasty tasting. Mine goes away if I have some cream in my coffee.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Dunno army nurse! But I agree it's gross. I brush my teeth during the day. And I also find like sweetteadrinker, my BP coffee usually get's rid of it in the morning. I find it's worse in the morning. But it definitely correlates with the keto stix. The higher the reading, the worse the taste. Hope Steve's right and it subsides. But this is the ONLY thing that has worked for me so far, so I'm gonna just use it as motivation that things are working.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Yes... but I got braces in February. It will be a year before my metal mouth is gone. :)

Now ketosis... my family doesn't run from me when I breathe on them anymore, so I think I'm good.