Are you positive this diet works? I am simply going nowhere

Options
I have been on <20 grams of carbs for 6 weeks.
I have tracked calories recognizing there is error but am always under 2000. I do drink wine.

I am and have been in Ketosis almost the entire time. I feel great; energy high, brain unfogged

I am 67. 5'7" and weigh between 195 and 200. I am large boned and exercise over the years has helped me carry my weight well. My stomach is the problem.

I choose not to use the scale because in the past I didn't drop or even gained. The experience was awful.
I do measure. I do try on clothes.

I am not losing inches, my clothes feel the same.

I exercise 3-4 times a week and walk the dogs a mile religiously every day.

I see so many with amazing results and don't understand.
My diet is chicken eggs, salads, occasional hamburger, and bacon. I don't gorge, am often not hungry.

So, if anyone else is experiencing this I would love to know.
I fear the scale now realizing that nothing on a measuring tape has changed. I would be devistated to see that I hadn't lost a thing.

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having a frustrating time. The weight loss for me has been very slow other then initial water loss at the beginning, which may also have been because I was restricting my calories to an obscenely low amount. I do not recommend that. I was eating about 700-800 a day. BAD idea.

Anyway, have you tried adjusting your macros? Calories? Even 100 calories less a day would still put you at 1900, even on LCHF you need a little bit of a deficit. I am 5'10" and 208 and eat roughly 1360 (I may need more than that, I am learning). If I ate at 2000 a day, I would gain at this point as my body wouldn't know what to do. But that is just me.

This is also a big big change for our bodies, yours may just still be adjusting. I guess what I am trying to say is to keep with it, make some adjustments, try and find what works for you. Focus on the fact that you DO have more energy and do feel better. And that you CAN do this!!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't panic. Your body is recovering from 67 years of [poor] eating habits. Now that you're feeding it the correct foods, it is going to get better. But, better isn't necessarily immediately thinner. Thinner will come, in time. The first focus is on hormones, bone repair, getting the important systems running correctly and back to their factory install condition. Excess body fat is obviously a problem to us, but it's not a primary concern for life. So, even if you're not dropping pounds like a 27 year old man who weighs 500 pounds, trust your body. It's triaging the most important functions first.

Second, some people are much more carb sensitive than others. If this continues, lower your carbs even further. Yes, below 20g. You might need to stay under 15g or 10g a day to see the weight loss you want. It's why the original Atkins' plan started at 0g and moved up 5g a week. Some people really are that sensitive.

Third, are you including any artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols in your diet? Some, maltitol especially, are well known for causing problems. I tend to gain weight when I include it.

But, mostly, I wouldn't worry about the second or third points right now. Keep on truckin. Your body is likely taking care of itself hormonally and metabolically for the first time in decades, and it will worry about the weight when it becomes the biggest priority.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat‌ thank you...I was trying. ....but it just didn't sound as good. Yay for science!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Annie, I'm sure others will be able to give you some ideas for your perceived lack of progress. Like yourself I have not seen the progress others have. Your diary is not open so it's hard to comment. My only questions would be to check your macros. How did you do this? Have you used the calculator or simply used the figures suggested by MFP. You mention that you drink wine. Have you included this in your calculations. I have noticed that I have actually gained some weight which is not the desired objective. My principal reason for trying low carb is to control my blood sugars. I have made a few mistakes leading to excessive cals but I'm learning. I will hang in for some more time in the hope that I can get it right. I agree it's easy to get discouraged when so many people report impressive results. I've also observed some digestive problems which I hope I can resolve.The evidence from the reports suggest that the LCHF WOE works. We have to be realistic and realise that for perhaps unknown reasons LCHF may not work for everyone. I hope some our more experienced members will be able to offer some suggestions In the meantime perhaps you should stick it out for a little while longer.
  • Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I feel your pain! I, too, fear the scale and have felt very frustrated. I'm losing, but at a snails pace. Someone, I forget who, gave me the best advice-Just breathe and trust the process. She told me to commit to this lifestyle for at least 3 months, sometimes it just takes that long for our bodies to adjust. It's so easy to compare ourselves, I do it too. You're feeling better and you're in ketosis...try to focus on that. Is you're food diary open for viewing? Maybe eat fewer calories?? Idk, I'm no "pro" at this but I know you're not the only one. I think we more mature women (I'm 55) just need to be more patient. Hang in there!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I realize portions are sometimes off, but in fact I am often under 1500 and NEVER count my exercise calories. I do use Stevia in tea, maybe 2 packs a day. My protein is mostly chicken and eggs and beloved bacon.

I tried what Atkins calls a "fat fast" basically carbs were almost nothing for 2 days. That certainly wasn't difficult but I was afraid it wasn't healthy. Hard to know of course because I didn't weigh.

I sometimes think when I look in the mirror I look leaner but that could be delusional and wishful thinking.

I will hang in and hope the light in my body goes on. ding, ding, ding.

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I weigh and measure everything, log honestly-try to scan most things in or at least confirm the nutrition info on MFP if I use that, have cut out all except perhaps 1 glass of wine or drink a week (in no carb mixer). Carbs are except on very rare occasion (maybe 1-2 times in 8 weeks) less than 25 net. Don't use artificial sweeteners. I went through and survived the Keto flu. Show mild to moderate ketosis on pee strips always. Have lost very little on the scale and about an inch at waist, no where else; clothes really not fitting differently. Am not hungry but am definitely frustrated. See the thread for women over 50-alot of non judgement/non critical support there. I'm sticking with it another month or two and will reevaluate. Hang in there.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have been on <20 grams of carbs for 6 weeks.
    I have tracked calories recognizing there is error but am always under 2000. I do drink wine.

I am and have been in Ketosis almost the entire time. I feel great; energy high, brain unfogged

I am 67. 5'7" and weigh between 195 and 200. I am large boned and exercise over the years has helped me carry my weight well. My stomach is the problem.

I choose not to use the scale because in the past I didn't drop or even gained. The experience was awful.
    I do measure. I do try on clothes.

I am not losing inches, my clothes feel the same.

I exercise 3-4 times a week and walk the dogs a mile religiously every day.

I see so many with amazing results and don't understand.
    My diet is chicken eggs, salads, occasional hamburger, and bacon. I don't gorge, am often not hungry.

So, if anyone else is experiencing this I would love to know.
    I fear the scale now realizing that nothing on a measuring tape has changed. I would be devistated to see that I hadn't lost a thing.

[/quote

Well, I know if I personally ate more than 1500 cal per day, that my weight would not budge- I have proven this to myself by tracking and (those days when I know I went over and did not put in in my diary- it makes a difference).

You can be ketotic and not lose weight if you eat more than you need to maintain your weight. Ketosis burns fat- on your body and from your food. If you eat more than you burn it will use the food and keep the stored fat. Our bodies are well evolved to hold on to stored energy.

I know that it is not all CICO, but energy is energy. Do you drink dry wine? How many servings per day? It will be burned before your body fat is. You may stay in ketosis, but alcohol will be used as a fuel first, before your body fat stores.

-Andrea
  • GingerGale1
    GingerGale1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that not all eating programs work for everyone. Personally, I used to SWEAR by Weight Watchers. I was an on again/off again member for over 20 years. And I was ALWAYS hungry. It worked when I stuck to it, but I was always hungry. I would pooh-pooh the friends I had who told me about this way of eating. You could not convince me that a diet that let you eat bacon and butter but restricted apples was anything even remotely healthy. And even now I still struggle with that way of thinking.

The last time I visited my health care provider I was in tears. I was 54 years old, heavier than I have EVER been in my life and scared half to death of ending up like folks I saw in her waiting room who could not walk without a cane and had to lug around tanks of oxygen just to be able to breathe. She was very compassionate and recommended a low carb eating plan. I took it and tried it. It sparked me to read more on the subject and study some of the science behind it. It WORKS. For me at least. I don't believe there is
    a single plan that will work for everyone. I do believe each of our bodies will process nutrition differently and that all of the research and studies can only be accepted in general terms because no 2 bodies are exactly alike. We each have to find what works for our own body. And this works for me. I've lost 53 pounds in 5 months.

That being said, using the stats you provided and assuming light activity for your exercise I ran your data on the keto calculator and for a 20% deficit your macros came up at 1601 calories, 20 grams carbs, 90 grams protein (I selected 90 as from what I've read too much protein can be as detrimental as too many carbs), and 129 grams fat. Your ratios with this are 5% carbs, 22% protein, 129% fat. Since your diary is not open for public viewing it is impossible to comment any further than this. Maybe you should go back to the calculator and refigure your macros. If the figures I came up with are close to accurate for you and you are taking in around 2000 cal a day the 400 cal difference could add up to almost a pound a week sitting in limbo using the calories in/calories out approach to thought. Could be worth recalculating and tweaking it a bit - it's all just one big chemistry experiment and may take a few tries until you find the right combination for you.

Don't give up. Wishing you the best in your quest.

• annieboomboom
    Options
    good information, I will go back and look at what I have set up. I do believe that is way more fat than I have been doing. Yikes
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    use this to figure out your macros:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Also, you mentioned wine, but not how often. Alcohol can cause or add to water retention, so it's possible you've lost fat, but are retaining enough water that you don't see the change.
  • annieboomboom
    Options
    ok. I reset my macros. Actually a bit scary but I am willing to try with nothing to lose... so to speak!
  • GingerGale1
    GingerGale1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know the fat can be scary, it goes so far in the opposite direction of everything we have ever been taught. Relax, or as the book title reads...Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway! One thing is certain, nothing will change if you don't try something new. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So far I can drink whiskey but not wine, wine seems to knock me way off course. Although last Saturday it was because I also drank way too much wine when out with friends on what would otherwise have been a keto friendly meal. Wine knocks judgment leads to more wine in my case! I am sure you are very moderate tho'. Am thinking of cutting out all alcohol for the rest of lent to see if that helps. Good lock, Annie.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Annie Boom Boom -- there is a wonderful discussion thread called 55-65 Womens Success that might be a good fit for you. They arent low carbers necessarily, but they are all women our age who know that weight loss may not come as easily to us as it does to others, but who remain positive and supportive.
  • annieboomboom
    Options
    thank you , everyone for such great support. Hope I can return the effort.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do drink wine.
    How much wine?
    I am and have been in Ketosis almost the entire time.
    How are you measuring this?

• ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I ate general low carb for 10 years, and at <20 carbs for well over six months, and lost less than <3lb a month last year. It was only after I tried Ketogenic with a 5/20/75 macro that I made any headway, and have lost over five pounds in that one month. I lose slowly, but at double the rate of loss, with only a little more effort, its worth it. Some of us are just naturally slow losers.
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    GingerGale has some good advice I think. I find I have to count calories to lose weight and 2,000 sounds like a lot. I'm more like 1300 - 1500 although I am a few inches shorter than you. 1600 sounds reasonable.

I also like to drink wine and after extensive research (!) with the scales and ketostix have discovered that wine once a week has no effect on my weight loss, twice a week and it's slows slightly, any more than twice and it stops.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you by not losing a thing. My carb intake isn't as low as your but I have been staying with it. I had a mini tantrum and got so angry I consumed a big bowl of frosted mini wheats this morning and had sweet tea for lunch. :( Granted I am a newbie so that may have something to do with it. Last night the family made a trip to get ice cream and I was the one not getting anything and having it rubbed in my face. So this morning after stepping on the scale it was kind of the last straw. I am still planning on sticking with it though I have to because of my health. I hope I start seeing more results soon. I am getting discouraged. I am going to stay away from my scale and tapr measure for a few weeks .