March Melting

Options
tdh1991
tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
Welcome March!

Let the snow melting begin and of course fat.

Goals for March:
1. 5 more weeks strict ETL
2. exercise 3+ days a week
3. spring clean if time allows.

Had a really good eating week and I feel like my energy is starting to come back.
So, on the week 2 of ETL I am glad I did not wait till March 1 to start. I am already feeling healthier.

Today is cooking day going to make the Dr. Fuhrman Cream of Broccoli Soup, my adaptation of a Tomato Basil Soup, veggie enchilada soup, Mushroom Burgers, artichoke lentil loaf and beet patties.

In the plaza near where I work they opened up a Cross Fit. I might check that out. Have any of you done that work out. I have always wanted to do that work out but have been afraid of getting hurt. Please let me know you experiences if you have.

Happy Sunday March 1!

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,896 Member
    Options
    Good morning Terri! Thanks for starting the March thread. I am not feeling so healthy today after the party last night. I'm rather hungover, I haven't felt like this in a while. I definitely look forward to a healthy March. For now I think I'll go back to bed lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fabulous title.

My goals for march:
    Hit my running goals, which I didn't in Feb
    Don't let work interfere with the gym
    Figure out the best way to integrate EtL with my slow carb lifestyle for the long haul
    (which I know means more tofu proteins, and more vegetables, the best fats with a bit less fruit than EtL recommends).

Cheers!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    Good morning Terri! Thanks for starting the March thread. I am not feeling so healthy today after the party last night. I'm rather hungover, I haven't felt like this in a while. I definitely look forward to a healthy March. For now I think I'll go back to bed lol.

I love the birthday Mihani! lol!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a pound last month! It's been months since I lost anything over my lowest weight of 134 so I'm thrilled. My longer term goal is to lose 3 more pounds in 2015; that would put me at or under 130 pounds for the first time in 20 years. This is a perfect weight for me, not thin but good enough. Right now I am just trying to sustain this lower weight, teaching my body its new "set point" whether it likes it or not. Cooking is key for me: This week I made Cuban Black Beans and Broccoli Mushroom Bisque (ETL Cookbook). Both came out very well and perfect for these cold snowy days. Hubby liked them both, although he salts everything and adds sour cream to the black beans. Tomorrow is Creamy Zucchini Soup (from ETL Cookbook, too). I like it better than the Forks Over Knives cookbook as that one uses a lot of grains so I have to modify recipes more. My last 10 pounds have been slow, slow, slow. Maintenance = constant vigilance. It will be 3 years of ETL for me come July 2015, and I can say that most of my cravings for salt/fat/sugar are gone, or at least quiet enough I don't notice them. ETL has become a lifestyle change.
  • Mihani
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lisa, that is great. You really are an inspiration!

I have recovered enough from last night to think about my March goals. Obviously I need to get back to strict ETL and finish out the 6 week plan. I want to get back down to my lowest weight again and then keep moving from there. I've just been stuck for far too long, and I've become complacent about losing the rest of my weight. As of right now, I will happily give up alcohol for the rest of the 6 weeks haha!

I have 4 more weeks of Tai Chi class and then I will likely sign up for the second class so I'll learn the second half of the 108 moves. I'd also like to get into some other type of exercise on a regular basis. I sure wish I could get the treadmill fixed but the budget is too tight right now with my old pup running up vet bills at an alarming rate. For some reason I am having trouble getting back into the gym mindset, but I will start getting there again before the end of March. I'd like to get back to 3 days per week.

I didn't eat entirely ETL today, but not bad. I made a chickpea salad and had some on whole wheat toast with romaine. It was just okay, too bland really. I was out of kelp flakes which gives it that fishy flavor, and don't know what else would perk it up, maybe just more pickle relish, but it's not ETL so I won't eat any more of it anyway. For dinner I had a bowl of leftover sushi rice and veggies that didn't get made into sushi rolls for the party. It was really good. Other than that I have been a total slug all day. Drinking lots and lots of water in between dozing on the couch.

• tdh1991
    Options
    Lisa: congrats on the loss. When you get that low every lb must be a struggle.

Mahini: sounds like your party was really fun, feel better.

I was able to do most of my cooking today. The artichoke lentil loaf was delicious. I will definitely make that dish again. The sweet beet potato cakes were a mixed bag. I liked them my husband did not. If I make the recipe again I will have to alter the recipe, the patties took almost 2 hours to cook in the oven. Need to add something else to have them stick together. The tomato basil soup very delicious. A keeper.

DREAMY VEGAN TOMATO BASIL SOUP

Print
    Prep time
    10 mins
    Cook time
    45 mins
    Total time
    55 mins

This vegan tomato soup is rich, creamy, thick, and chock full of healthy goodness, and the addition of cauliflower makes it ultra creamy without the need for dairy. The perfect complement to grilled cheese; this soup will warm your soul on a chilly winter's day.
    Author: Blissful Basil
    Recipe type: Entree
    Serves: 6
    Ingredients
    water for sauteing 6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 medium yellow onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
    2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice (3 lbs tomatoes and 1 quart veggie broth or tomato juice)
    1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
    2 tbs dried oregano
    2 tbs dried basil
    dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
    ½ teaspoon No salt, more or less to taste
    3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
    1/2 cup raw cashew butter or macadamia nut butter (optional)
    ½ to 1 cup vegetable broth (if needed to thin soup)
    fresh basil, chopped (optional) 20 basil leaves

Instructions
    Add water to a large stock pot and heat over medium heat.
    Add in garlic and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.
    Add in the red bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
    Add in the tomatoes, cauliflower, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes (be sure to submerge the cauliflower chunks in the tomato liquid as much as possible -- it will seem like there is too much cauliflower, but there is just enough)
    Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow the mixture to simmer vigorously for 25 minutes.
    Turn off heat and purée mixture with an immersion blender for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture is very smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can add the mixture to a blender in batches or a large food processor (return soup to pan once done blending).
    Add in salt (to taste) and nutritional yeast. Simmer on low for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If soup is thicker than desired, add in ½ to 1 cup water and whisk into soup.
    Ladle soup into bowls and top with chopped fresh basil, if desired.

If adding nut butter and milk add to blender section.

Artichoke Lentil Loaf
    drfuhrman.com

Serves: 6
    Preparation Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup diced onion
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
    1/4 cup diced celery
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1 1/2 cups cooked lentils or 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium or no-salt-added lentils, drained
    4 artichokes, halved and steamed* or 6 frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and mashed
    1/3 cup finely chopped raw pecans
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup tomato paste (plus extra reserved for top of loaf)
    2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or whole wheat flour)
    2 tablespoons MatoZest or other no-salt seasoning blend, adjusted to taste
    freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a saute pan, heat one tablespoon of water or vegetable broth. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, cover and cook until mushrooms are tender. Add celery, parsley and poultry seasoning. Saute another 5 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking.

Place the sauteed vegetables in a bowl and add the lentils, mashed artichokes, pecans, rolled oats, tomato paste, arrowroot powder, MatoZest and black pepper. Stir well to combine.

Lightly rub a loaf pan with minimal amount of oil. Fill the loaf pan with lentil mixture and press down evenly. Spread a 1/8 inch layer of reserved tomato paste over top. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.

Makes 1 loaf

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 186; PROTEIN 10g; CARBOHYDRATES 31g; TOTAL FAT 4.7g; SATURATED FAT 0.5g; SODIUM 68mg; FIBER 11.2g; BETA-CAROTENE 188ug; VITAMIN C 15mg; CALCIUM 69mg; IRON 3.4mg; FOLATE 189ug; MAGNESIUM 76mg; ZINC 1.8mg; SELENIUM 12.4ug

Made it to the gym today. I was surprised how well I did. I thought I would be out of shape, but i wasn't :smiley: Going to concentrate on cardio for awhile then add back in weight lifting when my energy level is better.

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    YES! Melting March, I love that! I plan on doing lots of March and I can't wait to see these massive piles of snow go away too. I don't remember the last time I saw grass, but I think it was probably Christmas lol.

Good to know about the cravings, Lisa and Terry! I will just keep at it and hope they go away. I loosened up a bit on Saturday. We had our cake tasting (Fun!) and I also had some cheesy popcorn Saturday night. Otherwise, I stayed the course fairly well. Excited for a great week though. I got a few compliments on the weekend already, I'm sure a big part from the working out too.

We had a super busy weekend. Managed to do the cake tasting, get carpet runners installed on the stairs, take our engagement photos, and I even bought my bridesmaid dress for another wedding this summer. Fairly productive! Last night I made a mega batch of curried lentil soup and also a pretty healthy zucchini bread, though I acknowledge still have a bit of trouble with the starches.

Mihani, happy to hear you had a great party!!! Was it fun? Hope you're feeling more normal today. Hangovers are the worst!

Terri, I had a client in last week raving about Crossfit. She said it is so draining and kills you, but changes your body and gives such a sense of accomplishment. She also said it's the only gym where you feel like there is no judgment at all at your level of abilities, even though everyone is at different stages. Let us know if you try it out :)

Sabine, are you an outdoor runner?!

Happy Monday all :)
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Today was my first strength training class. I AM SORE! Yikes... I don't think I'll be able to type tomorrow...

My goals for March are:
    - workout every day and
    - more veggies; less starchy carbs.
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello

Happy Monday :) Mihani, it sounds like you had a great party! TDH, Artichoke lentil loaf is one of my favorites. I'll have to try the tomato basil soup. It looks great!

My goals for February were:
    1. Lose 8 lbs. I lost 4.5 lbs. I'll take it :)
    2. Work out 4 days a week including at least 2 gym classes. I met that goal.
    3. Stop eating all SAD food. That may have been a touch unrealistic. I still have about 1 exception per day.

So March goals are:
    1. Lose 5 lbs
    2. Keep working out 4 days a week including 2+ gym classes
    3. MOSTLY avoid SAD food.

I expect things to fall apart a bit when I go on vacation at the end of the month, but hopefully I can make up for it with a good first 4 weeks of March :)
  • liapr
    Options
    Great goals, you two!
    Karrie, was the class fun?!
    JCN, I am learning what goals are realistic for me too lol. Sounds like a good month for you :)
  • sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great goals people and you've all done so well already, inspiring me to stick with it this time.
    So my goals; I've just signed up to do a 13 mile charity trek (on mountain terrain) at the beginning of June. Eek! So must keep up the daily walk to and from work and gradually longer training walks.
    I want to finally get back to below 8 stone by end of this month (so at least 3.5lb) but my main focus is getting healthier and fitter.

So far my Fitbit and this group has kept me more motivated than I have been in years so bring on March
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi everybody, love reading all your goals! Not much time, Tai Chi class tonight. I am still so tired. Looking forward to going straight to bed when I get home from class. My lettuce looked icky this morning so no lunch salad, I won't have time to run get more until tomorrow evening but I took soup from the freezer stash for lunch today. I will probably do the same tomorrow.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Had a good day!
    b; usual oatmeal fruit
    L; enchilada soup really delicious, arugula watercress salad
    d; tuna, cauliflower mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli
    snack; berries w/ 1 tbs cocoa powder

good night everyone. So tired going to bed early. Spring needs to get here soon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    liapr wrote: »

I'm an outdoor runner when it's reasonable! :smiley:
    In reality I'm an outdoor runner when the temp is above about 40F.
    Below that I'm a weenie.
    It's funny, my bike to work threshold is about 15f. My walk to work threshold is... below zero F. My 30-60 minute run outside threshold is about 40f. It's a lung thing.
    I hate burning lungs.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Good morning all, I think I'm fully recovered from Saturday night now. I slept so well last night. It gets harder to recover every year older. Tai Chi class was fun. We learned I think 7 new moves. It's going to be hard to remember all these new ones, but I had the first 6 or 7 down pretty well so I will concentrate on the new ones this week when I practice. I'm enjoying the people in the class, they are fun.
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Good morning everyone. All of your goals look good.

Mahini: I am glad you are feeling better. I am with you it is definitely harder to recover from an indulgence but it sounds like you had a good time. :)

Goal today is to get to they gym before the snow starts again. Plan on doing the elliptical for 30-40 minutes depending on my energy level.

b: usual oatmeal and berries
    lunch; sweet beet cake apple, veggie soup
    dinner: big salad, lentil loaf cooked greens

Working on getting my groove back :smiley:

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    liapr wrote: »

I'm an outdoor runner when it's reasonable! :smiley:
    In reality I'm an outdoor runner when the temp is above about 40F.
    Below that I'm a weenie.
    It's funny, my bike to work threshold is about 15f. My walk to work threshold is... below zero F. My 30-60 minute run outside threshold is about 40f. It's a lung thing.
    I hate burning lungs.

I'm with you!! It's totally a lung thing. I refuse to run outside in the winter!!

The class was ok - I don't know that I'd call it fun. At least not yet. Maybe after a few weeks I'll say that... I'll keep you posted.

Today I can't reach up for anything on a shelf higher than my head...

• Mihani
    Options
    Lia, have you made any decisions about the food for the wedding?

Karrie, sounds like a great workout!

JCN, your goals sound really great and reasonable.

Sharon, awesome goal working up to your charity trek. I like my fitbit too.

Terri, it sounds like you are definitely back in the groove.

Sabine, I was just starting to do some jogging when the treadmill got zapped, I would like to start trying it again when the weather clears up. If it ever does.

I was hungry today and tired, and indulged in pretzels and pistachios and need to get back to ETL tomorrow. I was going to stop and get more lettuce but we had freezing rain all day and expecting more snow tonight, and I just wanted to get home. Where is spring????
  • liapr
    Options
    Sabine, totally understandable! I'm a baby about walking outside in the winter, lol, I rush my poor doggie.

Mihani, so happy to hear tai chi has been such a great choice for you! Sounds fun too. No decisions about the wedding yet, I think this weekend we will have to. I am thinking about a rice dish option. Any recipe suggestions that could be served en masse?

Okay yesterday I went for my first fitting for my dress... my top and bottom halves are 1-2 sizes apart, so it fit my bottom but needs to be taken in a bit on the top. Which is fine. But MAN I was a negative nancy. All I could see was that my arms looked so big! It was depressing. And being depressed, I ate peanuts and chocolate in retaliation, lol. Makes no sense, but there it is... back at full ETL today at least :(

Seriously, where is spring?! This is awful!!! I'm so over it. I can't wait til the first day that I don't have to wear layers and boots and hats/mitts! I don't know if that will ever come. I joked to the seamstress that I can't wait to sweat buckets on my wedding day lol.

B - oatmeal
    L - lentil soup; orange
    D - big salad!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Don't let work interfere with the gym

I love this. I hate the way work interferes with life. :\