Lets Swap our Best Recipes

Options
drgreen5555
drgreen5555 Posts: 13 Member
I am enjoying the recipes you are posting and I want to see more. Please post your one or two favorites. My husband and I are enjoying the pre made breakfast burritos that someone posted last week. Below are two recipes that I have recently adapted and my family loved.

Replies

• drgreen5555
    Options
    SOUTHWESTERN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

1 container Jiffy Muffin/Cornbread mix (dry)
    2 TBS Butter (melted)
    1/3 cup(s), Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat
    1.00 egg, Large Egg
    1.00 tbsp(s), Cilantro, Raw
    1.00 tsp(s), Ground Cumin
    1/4 teaspoon, Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes
    10.00 oz(s), Hot Enchilada Sauce (1 can)
    1.00 container (1 small can), Diced Green Chilies
    8oz canned Black Beans (drained)
    1.00 cup, Low Fat Mexican Shredded Cheese
    1.00 cup chopped yellow/red/green Bell Peppers
    1.00 cup, Whole Kernel Sweet Corn (yellow or white)-(drained)
    6.00 oz(s), Sauce - Salsa
    1/2 lb(s), Beef - Ground, 95% lean meat / 5% fat, patty, cooked, broiled (hamburger)
    1.00 cup, Tomato Diced
    1 TBS chili and garlic powder
    Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9X13 baking dish.
    In a large bowl mix Jiffy mix, egg, melted butter, and milk. Whisk together and pour into greased baking dish. Cook for 15-20 mins till it begins to brown.

Add together enchilada sauce, salsa, canned green chilies, cumin, and red pepper flakes. (I don't like cumin so I don't use it). May add hot sauce, jalapenos, and chili powder to taste. Use fork to pierce top of cornbread and pour this mixture over the corn bread.

Brown together ground beef, onions, and bell peppers in frying pan then stir in black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes (all canned items must be drained).
    Pour Ground beef mixture over the corn bread and top with cheese. Place in 400 degree oven and cook for 15-20 more minutes.

Top with fresh chopped cilantro

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 311
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 12 g 19 %
    Saturated Fat 4 g 22 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 64 mg 21 %
    Sodium 910 mg 38 %
    Potassium 332 mg 9 %
    Total Carbohydrate 32 g 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 13 %
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 16 g 31 %
    Vitamin A 14 %
    Vitamin C 29 %
    Calcium 27 %
    Iron 12 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • drgreen5555
    Options
    ONE POT PASTA

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted petite diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    8 ounces whole-grain spaghetti or linguine (such as Barilla)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    10 ounce fresh spinach
    1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
    Preparation

1. Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat.

2. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion starts to brown.

3. Add tomatoes, stock, oregano, and pasta, in that order. Bring to a boil.

4. Stir to submerge noodles in liquid.

5. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost done.

6. Uncover; stir in salt.

7. Add spinach in batches, stirring until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.

8. Sprinkle with cheese.

I used beef stock instead of chicken stock and for vegetarians you can use vegetable stock. I also added cooked 10 oz fresh cooked mushrooms, extra diced tomatoes, diced peppers, additional spinach and basil to bump up the veggie content and to decrease the calories per serving. If you add those ingredients you can decrease the pasta a bit if you wish or just have more servings than the original recipe. I also added large shrimp or you could add 95% lean ground beef if you don't want a vegetarian meal.I also added more red pepper for spicy flavor and some splenda to decrease the acidity of the tomatoes. I also would have added black olives if I had them in my cupboard.

Try and enjoy!

Riff: Use fresh grape tomatoes instead, and add fresh herbs.

Riff: Swap out spaghetti for any short pasta shape, such as elbow macaroni, rotini, or shells.

Riff: Try adding chopped skinless, boneless chicken thighs, ground beef, or ground turkey for a heartier dish.

Information
    Calories 333
    Fat 7.1 g
    Satfat 2 g
    Monofat 3.2 g
    Polyfat 1.1 g
    Protein 15 g
    Carbohydrate 55 g
    Fiber 9 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Iron 5 mg
    Sodium 538 mg
    Calcium 197 mg
    Search for Recipes by Nutrition Data
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This has become one of my favorite recipes. With all the cold weather and snow we've had over the past two weeks, the bright colors make me happy and remind me of spring.

Red Bean Salad
    • 1 cup red kidney beans
    • 1 cup edamame
    • ¼ cup red onion, chopped
    • ¼ cup carrots, julienned
    • ¼ cup green onions, sliced
    • 1 large stalk celery, chopped
    • 1 mango, peeled and diced
    • 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • 1 1/3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon herbed sea salt
    • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes

In a small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Set aside. Prepare veggies and mango. Place in a medium bowl. Add red beans, edamame, and dressing. Mix thoroughly and chill (the longer the better).

6 servings, 104 calories, 4g fat, 13g carbs, 4g fiber, 5g sugar (from mangoes), and 4g protein.

3zr7xku8otcg.jpg