Calorie Question

Options
DeserveVictory
DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
I'm planning on starting Stage 1 next weekend when I'm done writing my midterm exams. I started using MFP again two weeks ago to help me track what I'm eating. I haven't made any changes...other than tracking stops the mindless munching lol. I average 1300-1400 calories a day and I do eat a little extra when I work out because I feel hungry not because anyone told me to. The book's calculation says I should eat 2026 on days without exercise and 2297 on days that I do exercise. Is that right?! The idea of stuffing my face with an additional 800-1000 calories makes me feel a little sick. There is also the fact that I work a desk job and go to school full time, so I sit a lot.

Can anyone provide me with some insight? Should I be increasing my calories? And if so, how do I accomplish that without eating non-stop?

Here are the calculations from the book:
Weight in kilos - 77.5
RMR - 1351.5
BMI - 30
Calories without exercise - 2026.5
Calories with exercise - 2297

Protein needs at 170:
Low - 85g per day
Medium - 127.5 per day
High - 170g per day

I've unlocked my food journal incase anyone wants to take a look and make suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has for me! Thanks!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    wow that is a lot of protein. I struggle to get 80 per day on many days, so that caught my attention first. I will admit, though, I don't follow the book except for the workouts and I add accessories to those when I feel like it too. I'm not near ready to eat at maintenance as I've been working on losing weight since September and even after losing 40 still have just under 20 to go to get out of the obese category for my height. But number comparison is fun so...

BMR - 1347 (which is interesting cause that's based of my lower weight now and MFP had me at 1350 per day not counting exercise for the last few months)

Height - 4'11.5 so roughly 77 was what I used

No Workout = 2,020.5
    Workout = 2,290

Looks about right for maintenance since I moved MFP to 1 lb a week instead of 1.5 when it wanted to adjust to my new weight and had me at 1220 for 1.5 loss per week, it now has me eat around 1470 a day.

The protein does seem high because if I'm reading this part right it just says per body weight and most that I've seen discussed base protein goals on lean body mass only. So if I weigh 170 and go off the 1/weight by the book that would be 170 (85 if going low, .5), but if I have a rough body fat estimate and go off lean mass/1 then it's more like 110 (low then wold be around 55), if bf is around 35%. Right now I'm just trying to get at least 80 per day because it's a struggle and hope to find ways to increase it in the near future.

And it does discuss how the numbers will vary and the math isn't exact due to individual needs, which is partly why they recommend figuring out maintenance during the first part and not cutting (being on a deficit) right away.

Usually when needing more food than expected, instead of extra food people often recommend finding things that are more calorie dense, but that's a whole topic on its own.

Maybe others will have more thoughts and tips who actually follow this part of the book. I made it through stronglifts on a deficit so while doing Stage 1, I am still working on a deficit. Just the decision I made for my general goals. Your reasons and mileage may vary. Hope that helped a little at least.