Maintenance + Controlling the cookie monster

Options
andyluvv
andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
Hey guys! I joined MFP a while back and became a much more active person since then.

I was VERY good and avoided pretty much a lot of junk food. However that was at university....now having a stressful job and meeting up with friends at the weekend made me really REALLY worried about putting it all back on.

I do weight training 3x a week (sometimes 2) I avoid cardio due to lack of time but I do walk A HELL OF A LOT. But as I hit maintenance some bad habits have returned.

I work in the food industry and sometimes end up having biscuits or (too many) nuts...and it's all driving me up the walls. I've stopped logging as it gave me some issues with obsessive calorie counting and even though I haven#'t put on lots of weight I just worry that these new things might do. So basically, I had the typical sunday afternoon playing board games with friends and eating/grazing and I feel bad.

So I was wondering - how do people keep to servings? I just can't seem to!
I go armed with the courage for common sense and good intentions but they always fail me :/
I just can't seem to be able to use self control...then I get the usual "oh but you're so slim you can afford to!"...but I'd like to keep it that way and not lose all the hard work I had! lol

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get this out of my chest with people that might understand the struggle! xx

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    So, I am new to this group but I might have a couple of quick suggestions.
    I do board game days with friends, which last most of the day. I always bring health snacks, as the snacks that everyone else brings aren't healthy at all. I end up grazing some on the unhealthy snacks, but try to stick to my snacks (carrrots/hummus, fruit, pretzels). I bring a huge water bottle, and if I notice that I am just starting to eat for the sake of eating, every time I want to take a bite, I take a drink of water. I also bring my own drinks so as I am not tempted to just drink beer and soda all day... it's still hard, and I still eat more calories than I would like to at those gatherings, but I think balance is the key to everything, and will try to make it up the next day at the gym and watching my calories.

As far as eating out goes, I don't get a beverage unless it's zero calories. I only eat half of whatever is given to me. I am able to do this easily, because my husband and I always split an entree, so there isn't any temptation. So this method doesn't work if you don't have someone to split with, but I have heard of people just asking the server to box up half of it before it even is put in front of them. So they only have 1/2 a portion available. Then its just a matter of saving the other until the next day and not eating at 1am when the munchies hit.

Also, I have started hearing that too. "You don't need to eat salads like that... you're already skinny!" Yes, yes I know how they must perceive it. Skinny girls thinks she's fat. The reason I am thinner now is because I do eat healthy, and if I wasn't eating healthy, I would weight a lot more. So what I do is just tell people that. I say something along the lines of, thanks for the compliment and I have to work hard to keep my weight down, something like that.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    Thanks Manda, that does sound helpful
    I did bring the water and all today but I ended up just not being able to control it after a few hours. I just find it a lot more difficult to say no now (probably because I'm aware I'm at my desired weight and don't see myself as fat) but the worry is still there.

I've picked up some horrible habits lately tying to build counter measures and they failed! So for example, to control cravings if I want something I try to have a little bit of it instead of a whole portion....except lately my "pickings" have extended to the point where I pick whilst cooking, pick when eating out...it's like the plan blew up on my face lol

But yeah...biscuits and nuts are my MAJOR downfall. If there's cake I might have a little bit, but biscuits...and I SO wish I could be the person to have one, two and put it away....but I'm the awful kind that comes back for more and ends the pack -.-

Self control, where have you gone? lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, I gotta find out what these biscuits are.

Sadly here, all I can think of is usually dry biscuits from fast food places for breakfast items, or biscuits and gravy.

I hate to have you think about them more, but since you are!, curious what they are that are so good.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    He is in the UK so I am guessing by biscuits he means cookies :#
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are cookies in the UK. What I do, instead of grazing (when I choose not to graze) is put a specific amount on a plate or in a bowl. I pick out my serving. And then I just eat off of that. No more. When people push, I say thanks but I've had enough. But I do work on the theory of weekly calories, so if I have one night a week where I'm eating above maintenance, then I'll make sure to eat a bit less one or two days (not a lot, just some). It's a balancing act.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah I try to eat healthy but as I said in my current job temptation is always nearby. Biscuits are indeed what you call cookies. We sell artesanal biscuits which are delicious and gorgeous!(search for the biscuiteers of London and you'll see what I mean!).

I'm trying to be a bit better as I weight train three times a week anyway. But yeah the temptation is hard
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's hard when the temptation is there. My daughter is selling Girl Scout cookies and I thought I was safe since I am gluten free but noooooo they made gluten free cookies this year and I think they are the best gluten free cookie I have ever tried. I've had four already today. No lie. I can't wait until they are out of the house and done..
    No advice really but I know the temptation. Maybe have a reserve of alternate snacks on hand? It's worse if I'm hungry and if there is really not much else I can eat around. I had about 8 of the little things the other day.
    Try maybe beef jerky instead?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Or nuts. Or carrots sticks. OR you can fit it in with your goals - I eat chocolate or drink beer quite regularly and I just fit it into my goals. I pre-log them so that I only eat/drink as much as planned (most of the time). And as a Londoner, I'll have to check out your artisanal biscuits!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's really a bit (okay, very) sad that even with losing the weight in never seems to end. Having to control what you eat the rest of your life... Hmpf!

Anyway, I don't think I would want to restrict myself too much on special occasions with friends - if I don't have them every two days ;-)

I like the idea of the weekly calories and trying to fit extras (birthdays, meetings with friends etc.) in there. So I could turn off the inner calculator at least sometimes.

Regarding the daily temptations at work. Why don't you set yourself a daily allowance /number that you can use for cookies and nuts etc. Put this amount in a box on your desk and if it's gone, it's gone. I tend to want to finish the package, whatever there is and can handle the situation better if I see I already ate everything. It's way more soothing than knowing there is half a package left. Writing this, I remember that someone else already said something similar above. Sorry...But I typed this on my cell, so erasing all the hard work is not an option, harhar :-D
  • andyluvv
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys!
    I tend to eat healthy most of the time and sometimes I even think I might be on the low calorie end...like today at work I had some coffee with whey protein and I ended up just grazing the rest of the day at the tasters in store. A tiny bite of truffle butter (DELICIOUS) on toast, a bit of beef jerky, a tiny piece of fruit cake, some Cannele (again, amazing) and some dark chocolate brazil nuts (all that selenium!).

Obviously, a little here and there can become a LOT (oh, the dark chocolate bits...). I grabbed some of the pick n mix from holland and barett (I LOVE them) and decided to go home for dinner. Walking back, I saw a fruit loaf reduced and had all the best intentions to eat just two slices...and that became half the thing! <o> lol

Followed by a pack of ham, a salmon salad and some high protein yoghurt with fruit.

I'm not too bothered because gym tomorrow and I'd like to grow some muscle, but I dunno what happens sometimes. I just get the hunger pangs and end up eating more than I had initially forecast. And I absolutely agree Neonbeige, I lost 4 stone and I'm terrified of putting it back on. But then again, you have to enjoy life and indulge every now and again I think - especially once you've reached a good weight - otherwise, what was it all for, right?
    Neonbeige wrote: »
    It's really a bit (okay, very) sad that even with losing the weight in never seems to end. Having to control what you eat the rest of your life... Hmpf!

Anyway, I don't think I would want to restrict myself too much on special occasions with friends - if I don't have them every two days ;-)

I like the idea of the weekly calories and trying to fit extras (birthdays, meetings with friends etc.) in there. So I could turn off the inner calculator at least sometimes.

Regarding the daily temptations at work. Why don't you set yourself a daily allowance /number that you can use for cookies and nuts etc. Put this amount in a box on your desk and if it's gone, it's gone. I tend to want to finish the package, whatever there is and can handle the situation better if I see I already ate everything. It's way more soothing than knowing there is half a package left. Writing this, I remember that someone else already said something similar above. Sorry...But I typed this on my cell, so erasing all the hard work is not an option, harhar :-D
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm into calorie cycling, and have been for a long time. So I plan high days and low days. It can be easy to let the high days override the low, but as long as you're aware and adjust accordingly, it shouldn't be a big deal.