Sweetners, honey or what??

Rebamae
Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
i am new and still have a lot to learn. I am trying to stay 100% Paleo. I just made a smoothie with coconut milk, Banana, strawberries and a little vanilla extract. I did not use a sweetener but wondered if I could?
Thanks for the help

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited March 2015
    You CAN do anything you want. Obviously extra sugar isn't helpful for any but the most healthy/active people. Do you have excess fat? Do you have metabolic disorder? Depression? Struggle with cravings and hunger? Do you lose weight easily or not so much? That banana has a heck of a lot of sugar already (for many people even natural sugars are problematic) so I wouldn't think adding more is beneficial. I've been here almost 3 years and can't consume a fruit smoothie. I'm better off with eggs, meat and veggies... or just BP coffee.

Based on your Food Diary notes today, I'd suggest not to add sweet to anything and also that fruit smoothies probably aren't the best right now if you are craving/bingeing. (I had BED and avoiding extra sweet really matters.) Some strawberries in coconut milk is a nice snack option though.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Thank you so much for answering and for giving me so much information. I do appreciate your help!
  • NikkiAnamCara
    NikkiAnamCara Posts: 12 Member
    Recently I've been omitting the banana and making smoothies with 8 oz almond milk, a quarter avocado, 1-2 tbsp raw cacao powder, sometimes protein powder, 1 tbsp ground flax seed, and a quarter cup of blueberries, plus a little water to adjust the thickness. If I need a little sweetness, I use stevia or 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup. Yum!
  • ColwellCat
    ColwellCat Posts: 84 Member
    I'm also a fan of a bit of brain trickery when it comes to sweeteners - and I don't do sugar free sweeteners, natural or otherwise. If I really want to sweeten something, but don't have the carbs left to add a little bit of honey, I often find adding something like cinnamon and/or vanilla is enough to trick my brain into being satisfied. Unsweetened cacao also. Might work in a smoothie?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    OP - I will echo what has already been said in regards to your smoothie in that I would think the banana and strawberries likely made it sweet enough. In other cases where I want to add sweetness to a recipe I only use honey (local & raw if available/convenient) or maple syrup. I don't use stevia so I can't speak on how good/bad it is.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Agree with the rest about adding sweetener to something that is already sweet. In time you will start to taste the natural sweetness and won't need to resort to adding sweeteners. Honey and maple syrup are natural/paleo sweeteners to use.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    It's so true. I used to add butter and maple syrup or brown sugar to sweet potatoes. Now they taste plenty sweet to me with just butter.