Anyone do strength training classes (like power x or lesmills bodypump?)

Options
mmonaghan99
mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
I used to do power x (back when my gym was the rush, but gold's gym bought out the rush and now they have bodypump) before I developed tendonitis in my wrist and loved it! I had amazing results. That was about 3 years ago and I have gained a lot since then (when I couldn't lift anymore, I got kind of discouraged about the gym in general), but I'm trying to get some weight back off and start lifting again. I had surgery about a month ago on my wrist, and my doc said I can start lifting again in 3-4 more weeks. I am so excited! I'm hoping to lose a little bit from diet and cardio before I begin, but I want to do strength training as I lose because it is my favorite thing.

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried bodypump but on the rare occasion I will catch the Les Mills Grit Strength class. It's fun and very challenging because I don't move fast, do jumps, pushups or things like burpees well. And I always go at my own pace or modify at times (did wall pushups instead of on the ground, for example). Though it's also very different from the lifting sessions I do 3 times a week. More of a cardio version of lifting but it's nice to mix things up every now and then, to use the lighter weights (go way lighter compared to most of my lifts in general because less rest, more reps and get tired by the end).

I haven't gone lately but more of a schedule issue as work changed twice recently for my schedule so had to adjust when I lift and such to work out better, but hope to get to another class either this week or next week.

Just be careful and don't be afraid to modify something if it'll bother your wrist too much in the beginning.
  • mmonaghan99
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Just be careful and don't be afraid to modify something if it'll bother your wrist too much in the beginning.

Yeah, I'm going to have to try and take it easy, which will be hard because I miss lifting so much! But I know that I have to ease myself back in. I am also going to use gloves with wrist supports. I know that some people say you shouldn't use gloves, but with my injury I feel more comfortable with some kind of support.
  • kimberleybertrand
    kimberleybertrand Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do Body pump 3X a week and have been for over 10 years. I LOVE it!!
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump. I do that once a week along with other classes, and it has recently got me motivated to strength train in my own. You should go for it; it's a great way to get back into training.
  • mmonaghan99
    Options
    beachbriel wrote: »
    I love BodyPump. I do that once a week along with other classes, and it has recently got me motivated to strength train in my own. You should go for it; it's a great way to get back into training.

Yeah I really want to, I'm planning to go back in a couple of weeks when my wrist has healed a little more from surgery.