Calories to tone up real nice

mandeenicoleb
mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
I was pointed in the direction of this thread and it seems like it may be helpful.

I've lost about 14 lbs and I'm interested in toning. For starters I'm doing a 30 day "squat challenge" and the 30 day shred. I walk 3-6 miles a day most days.

I plan on upping my weight training once my body adjusts more. I was netting 1200, but don't know if this is too little.

I changed it now to 1440.

I can feel the muscles in my core, but think I still have too much fat covering it. I feel like I'm getting stronger, but again the fat. Is it too soon to begin toning? Do I have the potential to show?

I'm female
5'4.5
135 lbs as of this morning (was 133.6, don't know which is more accurate)

Doing 30ds mon-friday
average 3-6 mile walk mon-fri

Looking to do more lifting and heavy duty work but need to make sure I'm doing the right things first.

and now I shall wait :) Thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    tagging

What he said
  • Sarauk2sf
    When you say toning, do you mean getting some muscle definition showing?
  • mandeenicoleb
    When you say toning, do you mean getting some muscle definition showing?

Yes! I should have specified :) I've always wanted to to have definition show in my core a lot more, but I don't know if that means I should be dropping more weight before I start any strict regimens.
  • Sarauk2sf
    You should start strength training as early as possible as it helps maintain LBM while dieting.

Do you have access to a gym? If not, what equipment do you have access to?
  • mandeenicoleb
    I have access to a gym, although I'm not too happy with it.

I have resistance bands, adjustable dumbbells which I can make up to 20 lbs (more if I buy more plates which is no problem), 5 lb ankle weights, and a weighted vest (adjustable--I think I have it at 20lb right now)

I have 8lb free weights for the light work. I am possibly buying more weights/kettle-balls this weekend depending on what I need.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I have access to a gym, although I'm not too happy with it.

I have resistance bands, adjustable dumbbells which I can make up to 20 lbs (more if I buy more plates which is no problem), 5 lb ankle weights, and a weighted vest (adjustable--I think I have it at 20lb right now)

I have 8lb free weights for the light work. I am possibly buying more weights/kettle-balls this weekend depending on what I need.

Sounds like you would prefer to work out a home.

If you do, I would suggest the following (you will probably have to get more plates for your DBs)

With regard to a routine, I would do a 3 x full body routine. Base the programming on this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

"A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days."

You can use DBs for most - see here for adapting this to a DB routine: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Calf raises - you can do these on a step with your heel over the edge - lower your heel then raise up on tippy toe. Hold DBs to make it harder.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Locking so we can keep track of active threads. If you wish for the thread to be unlocked so you can update us or have further questions, please feel free to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread and we will unlock it so you can.
This discussion has been closed.