Exercise mat for Insanity

Options
Hello all,

I live in a condo with hardwood floors, but the floors are REALLY squeaky, and I need to get a good mat to reduce/eliminate the noise. Does anyone have recommendations? I found out I can try to do it in my kitchen where it has tile floors, but I am afraid I might bump into things. I was looking at the interlocking mats, or other mats for weight machines.

Thanks!

Replies

• teamryan90
    teamryan90 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I live in a condo with hardwood floors, but the floors are REALLY squeaky, and I need to get a good mat to reduce/eliminate the noise. Does anyone have recommendations? I found out I can try to do it in my kitchen where it has tile floors, but I am afraid I might bump into things. I was looking at the interlocking mats, or other mats for weight machines.

Thanks!

I have a few friends who use a Yoga mat on their hard wood floors. You will need a space of at least 6 feet by 8 feet to work out in for 1 person. I do not know if the Yoga mat will prevent the floor from squeaking or not. When jumping Shaun T will stress to land softly. I am not sure if that will prevent the squeaking either.

Before purchasing the interlocking floor mats find the mat you are interested in and google it. It may work. I did a little research and found the below about another user with the same idea as you. There are users that say the mats are okay on carpet but slide on concrete and hard wood floors. Below is one review.

"I bought these mats to help give my legs / joints a break from doing P90X and Insanity workouts on my basement concrete floor.. These mats are nearly perfect for such a purpose, but they do have a couple short comings.

First, I stopped wearing shoes during my workouts. Shoes just slide way too much on the surface of these mats and if you're doing any intense stretching or yoga type positions your feet will slowly slide right out from under you. Even just holding a plank or pushup position your toes will start slipping with shoes. I now workout barefoot and it's not an issue. General lifting and walking on the mats would be fine with shoes however.

Secondly, I bought a 10x10 area and when doing some cardio moves the entire mat will slip on the concrete. This isn't really a big deal as I plan on just putting down some double sided carpet tape to hold it in place, but you should be aware you will likely need to do this if you plan on putting them on concrete or other "slick" surface.

Lastly, I wouldn't buy these if you are wanting to put heavy gym equipment or weights on them. These aren't really high density foam or rubber and have a lot of cushion, a lot of weight or equipment on them for a prolonged time would set into the foam. I just use these for mostly cardio based workouts like "Insanity." I couldn't imagine a better mat for the hopping and jumping type workouts that I've been doing, these mats have a lot of cushion when you come down hard."