Just starting/question about additional training

Options
emilyesq
emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
So I'm a complete lifting newbie! For ages I've been doing my strength training with machines, but I've seen the light.

Being someone who's used to using 5-6 different machines at each gym visit, I'm feeling a little weird only doing my 5x5 workout and a bit of cardio.

I know that this program is supposed to be a total body workout, but I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for doing a few extra exercises, maybe to target the smaller muscles. If it's not necessary to do so, then I won't, but I like strength training, so I'm always willing to do a little more.

Some background: I'm 5'6", 154lbs, and 26 years old. I'm eating a calorie deficit (roughly 1550 a day), with the hopes of losing around another 20 or so pounds. I'm careful to meet my macros and I try to eat 30% protein.

Any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Accessories seem to vary based on your goals. Personally, I tend to do inverse rows, pushups, and assisted pullups, because I am trying to work towards doing full pullups.

But everyone has different things that help target different areas. My rule of thumb is to always do the main lifts first, and if I'm not too tired/short on time, I do the accessory work.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    emilyesq wrote: »
    So I'm a complete lifting newbie!

this is real cool. i'm a convert of course, but i have to bite my lip hard in order not to tell everyone 'oh, you're gonna love it' :D

i'm kind of from the same entry point as you are, but almost a year down the line. so here's my two cents: accessory ideas, if any, tend to come out of doing the lifts and discovering for yourself which little areas of your body seem to be holding you back. i do planks when i'm behaving myself, for instance, because my core strength tends to feel like my limitation factor for squats and probably ohp too. other people do other things; it just depends on what they find out as they familiarize themselves with the programme.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    There are so many options when it comes to accessories and while not necessary I find they add some flavour to the standard 5x5 and can help out towards any specific goals/limitations you have.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Welcome!

I agree with @Canadian -- you'll kind of figure out what you need as you go. With that said, there's another thread here about accessories that might give you some ideas: Accessory plans/routines?
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Right now, all I'm doing in addition to my 5x5 workout is abs, particularly lower abs. I had surgery several years ago to remove a large cyst, and the result is basically a c-section belly, where the lower half is quite weak (it was completely numb for years). I'll stick with that routine until I get a little further into the program and figure out what other areas I'd like to work on.
    So I'm a complete lifting newbie!
    this is real cool. i'm a convert of course, but i have to bite my lip hard in order not to tell everyone 'oh, you're gonna love it' :D

I already love it! I'm so excited for my deadlifts this evening. :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I already love it! I'm so excited for my deadlifts this evening. :D

if you haven't seen the daily checkin thread yet, that's a great place to report, moan, celebrate or whatever about any workout. i have a deadlift workshop coming up this saturday and i'm really looking forward to it. love the deads.