One week into LCHF and I'm yo-yo ing? WTH?

Options
So, I know I only started a week ago, but why in the world would I lose 9.5 lbs in first 5 days and gain 5 lbs back in the last 2 days? I'm starting to panic and question this diet, but hope I can stay on it because I love it! First diet that doesn't feel like a diet! BTW, I'm not logging anything in MFP, just staying completely away from carbs except for what I get from veggies that are allowed. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to stay off the scale except maybe once a week. My weight has fluctuated wildly since starting strict LCHF but I FEEL a million times better. My blood sugar has leveled out and I have a ton more energy. My clothes are starting to fit differently and I've even had a few comments about how I look like I've lost some weight. Yet according to the scale I haven't. Take some before pics and take your measurements. Try to use the scale as one measurement that tracks weight loss, but not the ONLY one. Also, be patient and give it time. Your body is used to a certain type of food and will react strangely while it gets used to a new way of eating. It will even out. You may want to read the success story threads here, as well. They've been super helpful on days when the scale is unkind.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    My advice would be to stay off the scale except maybe once a week. My weight has fluctuated wildly since starting strict LCHF but I FEEL a million times better. My blood sugar has leveled out and I have a ton more energy. My clothes are starting to fit differently and I've even had a few comments about how I look like I've lost some weight. Yet according to the scale I haven't. Take some before pics and take your measurements. Try to use the scale as one measurement that tracks weight loss, but not the ONLY one. Also, be patient and give it time. Your body is used to a certain type of food and will react strangely while it gets used to a new way of eating. It will even out. You may want to read the success story threads here, as well. They've been super helpful on days when the scale is unkind.

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely stop weighing in every day and take some measurements, I have noticed that I also already have more energy, am sleeping better and my blood sugar is already in the normal range when I check it, if nothing else, those benefits alone are worth sticking to it!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely stop weighing in every day and take some measurements, I have noticed that I also already have more energy, am sleeping better and my blood sugar is already in the normal range when I check it, if nothing else, those benefits alone are worth sticking to it!

Glad to here you are feeling better! I know how it is with the weight loss, though. When I decide I want to lose weight some part of my brain thinks it should happen by the following Friday lol. Patience is not my strong suit so I get you!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options

Glad to here you are feeling better! I know how it is with the weight loss, though. When I decide I want to lose weight some part of my brain thinks it should happen by the following Friday lol. Patience is not my strong suit so I get you!

AMEN to that LOL!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, second ALL OF THIS! The scale doesn't bother me as much, and I'm a data nerd, so I weigh daily, just to watch the trends. I lose 2, gain 5, then slowly creep down... then lose 3 and gain 2, and there is no rhyme or reason that I've found directly yet. LOL

I tell everyone that my weight charge looks like the heart patient's readouts while having tachycardia or a heart attack, but I've gone down a full pant's size and I'm feeling awesome... That's a WIN enough for me.

I focus on gaining health. As I do that, I KNOW the scale will follow eventually...
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yeah, second ALL OF THIS! The scale doesn't bother me as much, and I'm a data nerd, so I weigh daily, just to watch the trends. I lose 2, gain 5, then slowly creep down... then lose 3 and gain 2, and there is no rhyme or reason that I've found directly yet. LOL

I tell everyone that my weight charge looks like the heart patient's readouts while having tachycardia or a heart attack, but I've gone down a full pant's size and I'm feeling awesome... That's a WIN enough for me.

I focus on gaining health. As I do that, I KNOW the scale will follow eventually...

Congrats on your progress! LOL @ your tachycardia or a heart attack comment! I'm going to try not to worry about the scale so much, so long as I feel better and feel like I'm losing inches.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my weight goes up and down more than before I was doing LCHF. It often varies 5# a day. I weigh every day and average my weight for the week.