Looking for new low carb veggies to try

Options
Sugarbeat
Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
What are your favorite low carb veggies? I'm looking for some new ideas.

My newest favorite is roasted radishes. I literally eat them at least once a day now, and before I think I'd eaten them maybe 5 times in my entire life. I can take them or leave them raw.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would love to know your secret here... I made them and just wasn't impressed at all, though I can see the potato substitution possibilities... My fiance and I talked about making radishes au gratin... LOL But, to be fair, I love radishes raw, too.

Pretty much so far, I've only added leafy greens and broccoli back in....and a very low carb salsa. I'd be willing to try anything, though...
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oven or pan roasted: asparagus, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I always forget asparagus for some reason. I will have to look into doing more with that. Brussels sprouts I need to try again some time. Roasted sounds awesome though my daughter may eat before I do. She loves them.

For the radishes I just quarter them and toss them in a pan. I guess its more like a sauté. I usually mix them in with other low carb veggies and a protein for breakfast. For some reason I need to feel like I'm eating potatoes for breakfast lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I thought about dicing them rather than quartering them for a more even browning... I may not have cooked them enough, but roasting them might give a more even roast-y-ness. And I made roasted asparagus the other night. My guy loved his bacon wrapped, but I just did olive oil, salt, pepper, and topped with butter at the end. I added brown sugar to about half of his bacon wrapped stuff, so that's off limits for me. LOL
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Bacon wrapped asparagus sounds divine! I made bacon wrapped chicken tenders the other night and it went over well with the family.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, swiss chard.... and my latest addition is kale. That's the only thing I can thank Panda Express for--I had never had kale before they had that shiitake kale chicken dish (for a limited time), and I found out that I love it. I'm not super creative with the veggies.
  • melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My new fave is putting whatever meat the family is eating into a pan with butter and cooking down shredded cabbage with it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I bought kale recently but couldn't eat it fast enough. The guinea pig got some and I had to toss the rest. Then I saw a recipe for kale chips lol. Next time maybe. Cabbage...I'm going to have to try and do some different things with cabbage. I've never been a big fan, but maybe cooking it different will help. In my family its usually in the form of cabbage rolls or cole slaw, neither of which I care for. I will have to look for some recipes or something.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I bought kale recently but couldn't eat it fast enough. The guinea pig got some and I had to toss the rest. Then I saw a recipe for kale chips lol. Next time maybe. Cabbage...I'm going to have to try and do some different things with cabbage. I've never been a big fan, but maybe cooking it different will help. In my family its usually in the form of cabbage rolls or cole slaw, neither of which I care for. I will have to look for some recipes or something.

Shredded cabbage (or cole slaw mix) is great in crack slaw. There are tons of recipes out there. I use this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863. You can easily customize the amount of spices.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Just sauteing cabbage with the fat of your choice, adding soy sauce or salt, with or without bacon pieces is really good. I typically add it in stir fries with garlic and ginger or in my pepper steak recipe.
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the normal culprits - broccoli, kale, bok choy (regular and baby), spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, cauliflower, peppers (EVERYTHING - thai chile peppers, jalapenos, bell peppers), tomatoes. Most of the time, dinner is a stirfry or roasted veggies with roasted meat. Once in while, I'll do stuffed peppers with ground beef and homemade tomato sauce (tomatoes, oil, butter, garlic, LOL). I love my veggies.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thought about doing the stuffed bell pepper thing with some taco meat I've prepared... I found reds on sale not too far back.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just sauteing cabbage with the fat of your choice, adding soy sauce or salt, with or without bacon pieces is really good. I typically add it in stir fries with garlic and ginger or in my pepper steak recipe.

Oh reminds me, we make a dinner with sauteed kielbasa or smoked sausage pieces mixed with butter fried cabbage. OMG so good and low carb if you watch the amount in the kielbasa
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Alliwan .. I'm seriously drooling thinking about this now! :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Oh reminds me, we make a dinner with sauteed kielbasa or smoked sausage pieces mixed with butter fried cabbage. OMG so good and low carb if you watch the amount in the kielbasa

That sounds really good! Will have to try it.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I like to add a tbsp or 2 of cider vinegar to sauteed cabbage. I also like pork and sauerkraut all day in the crock pot.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My first instinct is roasted asparagus, but it's sauteed spinach I eat almost every day.

And if you need more ideas, I use this to look up what's lower when I want a change. For some reason, mushrooms are at the bottom instead of where they're supposed to be - it's sorted by net carbs low to high. All measurements are 100g:
    http://i.imgur.com/95xl2Te.jpg

(not sure if that will work well on a phone, you have to click it to zoom)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    shirataki noodles (miracle) would be there as a fav' new vegetable.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I've heard of shirataki noodles but I haven't found them yet. Where are they usually found?
  • DairyBelle
    DairyBelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have seen them by tofu and in the refrigerator vegetarian section.