Hyper after losing - Hashimotos

Options
galgenstrick
galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
Has anyone with Hashimotos found that losing weight while maintaining their current dose of medication has made them hyperthyroid?

I've lost 7-8 pounds over the last month and am starting to get very restless. The last two nights have been minor insomnia. I'm wondering if it's because of the weight loss and my dose is now too high. Also, it seems like the T4 that gets absorbed in the fat will metabolize while you're burning it, which would slightly increase the amount you're getting every day.

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Have you had recent tests to show this or are you relying on symptoms?

Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disease. The thyroid cells that have been killed are not magically replacing themselves. So the possibility that your medication is absorbing better could be your answer.

Or you could have more energy for other reasons... losing 7-8 lbs. in a month is great! Unless you are very overweight, it may be too fast. I'm jealous... with all of my medical issues, I've only been able to lose 24 lbs. in the last 14 months.

Anyway, you probably should rely on blood tests.
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you had recent tests to show this or are you relying on symptoms?

Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disease. The thyroid cells that have been killed are not magically replacing themselves. So the possibility that your medication is absorbing better could be your answer.

Or you could have more energy for other reasons... losing 7-8 lbs. in a month is great! Unless you are very overweight, it may be too fast. I'm jealous... with all of my medical issues, I've only been able to lose 24 lbs. in the last 14 months.

Anyway, you probably should rely on blood tests.

Thanks, I already emailed my endocrinologist for a lab order. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same symptoms, or if I should look elsewhere for why I'm not sleeping well at night since I won't get my lab results for a week or so.

Yes 7-8 pounds is definitely on the fast side but not unreasonable. I switched to a lot more nutritionally dense foods, and also cut way down on my sodium, So I think the initial 2 pounds or so were water. For the last two weeks my weight loss rate has been 1 pound / week.

• galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also, Since T4 is fat soluble, there could be a good amount stored in my fat. So if I'm burning fat, then I could be getting a higher dose of T4 than I was while I was maintaining my weight. Is this correct, or completely crazy?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I find the my thyroid needs fluctuate more when I'm losing weight rather than just maintaining weight. However, I suspected that it was because I'd initially go more hypo as I'd lose weight as a reaction to a prolonged caloric deficit (and often, why I'd do a refeed or cycle) as that's quite a bodily stress, which we Hashi's people seem more sensitive to. Then, I'd have to up my dose a little to compensate and once the stress was gone would be hyper and have to bring it back down.

I can't say if my theory is right on why this is happening, but I definitely have had times when I've had to readjust medication during weight loss. I also find that I tend to have a slightly higher dose in the winter and can back off come spring/summer (my doc says this is not uncommon for many Hashi's people, especially women). We do quarterly blood tests, but he also allows me to vary slightly based on symptoms -- increase or decrease slightly.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    As I lost weight my meds (Synthroid & Cytomel) increased. I don't think there's any relationship between the two.

I agree with everyone who says get your levels checked.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a lot of weight (30 lbs), my meds increased (88mcg to 100mcg). This time around (nearly 20 lbs down), my meds decreased twice (first time 0.16, second time 0.34 TSH levels) with seriously increased energy for a very short time and TSH is now slowly creeping up again (1.43). My doc just added Cytomel to my routine, so I'm guessing (although not seriously - because who can guess anything with Hashi's!?) that my synthroid will probably be decreased if the Cytomel works out, but if we didn't add it my Synthroid would probably have needed an increase. I would say that it could be any of what everyone said above and more because Hashi's just roller coasters anyway and paired with weight loss - it's a veritable amusement park of roller coasters.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was down 19 at Christmas. My thyroid meds have increased over that time. But I don't attribute that to my losing weight.

I think it's reasonable to assume that if you lose a substantial amount of weight your thyroid meds may need adjusted down.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I got my levels checked yesterday. Results are in and I'm definitely not Hyper. In fact my doc will probably increase my meds from the looks of the results. It's a bummer, because I was hoping that was the reason I couldn't sleep. Perhaps it's just the caloric deficit.

TSH = 2.87
    FT4 = 1.11
    FT3 = 2.7
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Have you added or changed anything to your diet during your weight loss journey or changed your exercise routine?

FWIW, both my husband and I take creatine to supplement with our heavy lifting routine. And he finds if he takes it in the evening, he can't fall asleep (though it doesn't impact me either way). It's not supposed to work that way, but it apparently affects some that way, at least initially. He switched to taking it in the morning and after a few weeks, he stopped having difficulty sleeping.

The other thing I've personally noticed that has hurt my sleep is initially when I started doing a 5:2 intermittent fast regime. On days I'd fast, I'd have a really hard time sleeping. Apparently others have had this effect too, but after a few weeks it goes away for most. Why this is, no one seems to really know except that it is something that is seen by some.

I also I find that I have to have at least 2.5 hours after a work out to wind down. So if I work out too late at night (start at 8 or later), I will have a hard time falling asleep before 11 or so, even though I'm dog tired. So, we make sure that we start by 6-7 so we won't end that late.

So, have you changed up any of your routine lately?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Have you added or changed anything to your diet during your weight loss journey or changed your exercise routine?

FWIW, both my husband and I take creatine to supplement with our heavy lifting routine. And he finds if he takes it in the evening, he can't fall asleep (though it doesn't impact me either way). It's not supposed to work that way, but it apparently affects some that way, at least initially. He switched to taking it in the morning and after a few weeks, he stopped having difficulty sleeping.

The other thing I've personally noticed that has hurt my sleep is initially when I started doing a 5:2 intermittent fast regime. On days I'd fast, I'd have a really hard time sleeping. Apparently others have had this effect too, but after a few weeks it goes away for most. Why this is, no one seems to really know except that it is something that is seen by some.

I also I find that I have to have at least 2.5 hours after a work out to wind down. So if I work out too late at night (start at 8 or later), I will have a hard time falling asleep before 11 or so, even though I'm dog tired. So, we make sure that we start by 6-7 so we won't end that late.

So, have you changed up any of your routine lately?

1. Yes, I did start creatine. maybe that's it! I did take it a while ago and it didn't seem to affect me then, but who knows, it wouldn't hurt to switch to mornings. Thanks.

2. No intermittent fasting for me.

3. I typically work out as early as I can, never really later than 3 or 4pm because I don't have as much energy to really get an effective workout.
  • Vickiti
    Vickiti Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found 5HTP really helped me get to sleep and STAY asleep. Also Magnesium spray or an Epsom salt bath will both help me into the land of nod pretty fast :)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Vickiti wrote: »
    I found 5HTP really helped me get to sleep and STAY asleep. Also Magnesium spray or an Epsom salt bath will both help me into the land of nod pretty fast :)

Yes, these are two things that my doc mentioned as well. He said a symptom of low DHEA was waking up at 3-4 am at night, though usually no difficulty initially falling asleep. I had abysmally low DHEA levels and once I started supplementing to get my levels back up to where they should be, I stopped waking up at 3-4 am every night (which used to just kill my sleep).

Also, low magnesium can also cause difficulty sleeping as Vickiti pointed out. Magnesium deficiency is really common in the population at large but seems to be super common for those with thyroid issues. It's really easy to supplement -- epsom salts in the bath are great, the spray (I find it stings and itchy initially so I don't do the spray) or orally. The only issue with taking magnesium pills is that they interfere with something -- I think calcium (or calcium interferes with magnesium). So, they recommend taking it at night (as a side effect of magnesium is a calming sensation which is great for falling asleep) and not with other pills -- so take your multi-vitamins or other calcium earlier in the day.

If you're lifting (since you take creatine), many of us take Zma -- it's a zinc, magnesium and B-vitamin supplement that helps with muscle repair. After heavy lifting sessions, I take those at night.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Yes, these are two things that my doc mentioned as well. He said a symptom of low DHEA was waking up at 3-4 am at night, though usually no difficulty initially falling asleep. I had abysmally low DHEA levels and once I started supplementing to get my levels back up to where they should be, I stopped waking up at 3-4 am every night (which used to just kill my sleep).

Also, low magnesium can also cause difficulty sleeping as Vickiti pointed out. Magnesium deficiency is really common in the population at large but seems to be super common for those with thyroid issues. It's really easy to supplement -- epsom salts in the bath are great, the spray (I find it stings and itchy initially so I don't do the spray) or orally. The only issue with taking magnesium pills is that they interfere with something -- I think calcium (or calcium interferes with magnesium). So, they recommend taking it at night (as a side effect of magnesium is a calming sensation which is great for falling asleep) and not with other pills -- so take your multi-vitamins or other calcium earlier in the day.

If you're lifting (since you take creatine), many of us take Zma -- it's a zinc, magnesium and B-vitamin supplement that helps with muscle repair. After heavy lifting sessions, I take those at night.

Thanks. Did you supplement DHEA with topical cream or other? My endocrinologist prescribed that for me to take as needed, but I haven't really used it much since I wasn't feeling much different.

Are you taking Zma with creatine or as a substitute?

I stopped taking the creatine, and over the past couple days I have sleep a little better, but not as well as I was before staring dieting.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Thanks. Did you supplement DHEA with topical cream or other? My endocrinologist prescribed that for me to take as needed, but I haven't really used it much since I wasn't feeling much different.

I stopped taking the creatine, and over the past couple days I have sleep a little better, but not as well as I was before staring dieting.

I supplement with DHEA with pills -- I originally took a 100 mg/day, but that ended up being a little too much (symptoms of excess are acne, aggression/irritability -- pretty much what you see with too much testosterone as a woman as excess DHEA in women gets changed into testosterone). I stopped taking it for a while altogether, which I learned was a huge mistake, and now I'm back at 50 mgs/day which seems to be a good balance for me. I'm not noticing any side effects at this point and my DHEA levels are good.

I take Zma on nights when I lift heavy -- I take creatine every morning. So I take them the same day if I'm lifting, but not at the same time. Creatine in the morning and Zma right before I go to bed. I tend to take my other supps/vitamins mid-day -- omega-3, multi-vitamin, Vitamin D, etc. -- with lunch.

However, I also use epsom salts in baths which I take a few times a week, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing well on my magnesium. If I'm noticing any constipation, I'll take more of the Zma in addition to the baths to get the magnesium back up.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I find these references to Epsom Salts baths interesting, theyre also recommended for excess salicylate in the system. Interesting, thought provoking. I regularly seen this sort of reference on the SS site I visit, there is also a well represented connection with hypothyroid issues too.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

I supplement with DHEA with pills -- I originally took a 100 mg/day, but that ended up being a little too much (symptoms of excess are acne, aggression/irritability -- pretty much what you see with too much testosterone as a woman as excess DHEA in women gets changed into testosterone). I stopped taking it for a while altogether, which I learned was a huge mistake, and now I'm back at 50 mgs/day which seems to be a good balance for me. I'm not noticing any side effects at this point and my DHEA levels are good.

I take Zma on nights when I lift heavy -- I take creatine every morning. So I take them the same day if I'm lifting, but not at the same time. Creatine in the morning and Zma right before I go to bed. I tend to take my other supps/vitamins mid-day -- omega-3, multi-vitamin, Vitamin D, etc. -- with lunch.

However, I also use epsom salts in baths which I take a few times a week, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing well on my magnesium. If I'm noticing any constipation, I'll take more of the Zma in addition to the baths to get the magnesium back up.

Thanks, this is all good info. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist coming up. I'll discuss the DHEA with him again. Perhaps I can get a hormone panel run to see if I need to balance anything out.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I supplement DHEA and magnesium with pills as well per my doctor. And I love putting Epsom salts in a hot bath along with about 10 drops of lavender. Sigh. That helps me sleep as much as anything else.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    (Am I hijacking this thread? Please tell me if I am I'm not trying to....) Similar with me! With exercise and weight loss my thyroid now feels wonky. Diagnosed as hypo 14 yrs ago but a couple of years ago a new doc tells me I have hashi. I have been tested many times for antibodies but nothing ever showed up yet he insisted I have it. I never heard of doing a scan until I read about it here. I think I am going to ask er insist on one. I'm also thinking of asking for armour if my dosage needs adjusting. I've been taking a really great dosage of t4+time released t3 for years now. The week leading up to this worn out hypo feeling I have I've been waking up wide awake every night in the middle of the night. Strange.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    The last downward adjustment in my levo was from an increase of B12 in my system. I dropped from 150mcg/day to 137mcg/day after I started with B12 injections. B12 appears to help with more efficient processing of T4. Losing 40 lbs didn't change the amount of levothyroxine I needed, but starting B12 injections dropped my TSH from 1.2 to .2 seemingly overnight.