Having a hard time with VERY low carb

Options
Pinuplvr1218
Pinuplvr1218 Posts: 105 Member
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have PCOS and also type II diabetes. I have heard many people have success with eating keto (under 25 carbs a day) and I'm having a really hard time with it. I know I need eat lower carb to lose but has anyone here had success with being a little less restrictive with carbs? And what were your macros? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat moderate carb, or slow carb as I've heard it called before.

I basically took the idea of GI (Glycemic Index) and low carb and combined them.

I eat about 50 to100 grams of carbs a day but all from 'Non-Carb' sources. (No breads, grains, and so on)

So I eat a single serving a day of fruit that has a low GI (Raspberries are my favorite) but always combine any carbs I eat with a protein to insure that the net GI is as low as possible.

I also will eat starchy veggies, like carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, yams a couple times a week.

I've done Keto before, and I find that this is just a bit less restrictive and still works for me.

That being said, just because it works for me, doesn't mean it will for you. We all have different carb thresholds, so the key is to find something you can do psychologically, as well as works philologically.

My suggestion would be to start with a moderate carb plan, and lower that carb macro to the lowest point you can mentally handle while getting the maximum benefit of your low carb. You may find there is no difference on your weight loss between 30 and 50 grams of carbs, but if you are way happier on 50 grams of carbs, why not? It's really all about experimenting to find the best fit for you!

My macro's are about 25% carbs, 25% protein 50% fat.

One thing to note, is if you are having a hard time with low carb make sure your fats are high enough, I've found that a 'craving' is as easily fed with fat as a carb :smiley: and as a PCOS sufferer the fat is way less damaging to our bodies!

Good luck!

Angela
  • Pinuplvr1218
    Options
    Thank you, Angela! That actually does help a lot. I think most of it is mental with me. If I tell myself I can't have this or that of course I'm going to want it. It's not just about weight loss for me. I can't have high blood sugars anymore. It's way more than vanity right now. And I've noticed I'm ALWAYS starving when I begin. Is this normal? And I start to detest any meat and eggs. Again, I think it's mental. I just can't fathom that fruits and veggies are bad for anyone. You're right; I will have to play around with what works for me. :)
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The key to low carb is fat :smile: so try adding more fat to your foods, the good thing is there are vegetarian sources of fat, like coconut oil (which I personally love). We've been drilled to believe fat is bad for us, but epically when you're lowering your carbs you need to add those calories back to your diet in fats.

I'd also recommend looking up the GI tables so you can see how the carbs you may choose to eat will affect your blood sugar.
  • Pinuplvr1218
    Options
    Thank you so much, Angela.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I second Angela's info above. To show you my side of the way of eating, I cannot have that many carbs. I started out ballparking at 50 carbs... I could NOT get rid of the cravings. I was a carbaholic of the worst degree. I wont' even tell you the ridiculous quantities of carb-laden foods I've eaten.

Much like you, if I told myself I couldn't have something, it would literally become an obsessive thought to where I could not think of anything else until I had whatever IT was.

And I broke that cycle. I jumped in with both feet. I upped my fats until the cravings stopped. Then, if I have a craving now, I throw fat at it first, then if I still want something with carbs, one, I'll eat less of it, and two, I might not want it at all.

Also, I found substitutions for EVERYTHING. Like cheesy crackers? I made cheese crisps. I found lower sugar salsa, made amazing fat bombs to satisfy almost any craving, upped my sodium to quit dumping electrolytes (conversion process does this). I fell in love with sour cream and cream cheese, which before I could barely tolerate. I found something to satisfy any craving I had.

I found my tastes changing. I want to try more things. I'm not a meat and egg fan all the time. I don't know what you favorite cuisine is, but we do a lot of mexican in my house. My fiance eats the flour tortilla shells for a taco salad, and I just have the taco salad. I add lots of cheese and sour cream. It is bliss. The fat bombs are my saving grace though, because eating that fat with meat still doesn't come naturally, and around here some meats are too expensive. Bacon (bought in bulk, ends/odd pieces) and pepperoni are two of my favorites right now.

If I get bored, I try something else. Most of what I've made, my guy loves. I make pizza bites on my cheese crisps, and all variations of stuff. I made an inside out chicken parmesan casserole that was pretty good. There are all kinds of possibilities. Anything you've ever been told to avoid as "heart attack on a plate" is fair game. Oh, and I'm currently not eating many eggs cause I burned out on those too!

And when you make eating fat your priority, the rest falls more easily into place. As for fruits, you body can't tell the difference in the sugar from fruit or the sugar from a candy bar. Fruit is nature's dessert. It is all processed the same. I do veggies in moderation, and stick to the lower carb ones, and ALWAYS try to pair them with a fat...it changes the way the body digests them. Fruits that are lower carb are the berry family and stone fruits (like peaches). Pair those with fats, too. Strawberries dipped in sour cream are the bomb (it's called strawberries romanoff). Put whipped heavy cream on peaches or other berries, etc. But I find that once I'm satisfied with fats, I really don't miss the fruits and such as much.

One of my favorite "fat bombs" are jello fat bombs. Comes out like a creamy luxurious custard, and I can use extracts or pre-packaged sugar-free jello mix to get my "fruit" flavors in there. I was a fruit junkie before, and honestly, so far I don't miss them much.

And to give you context, I started LCHF on January 15th, and I went down to Keto levels fully just over two weeks ago. There are adjustment periods for both steps, but loading yourself up with fats (stop counting calories while adjusting) and sodium helps with symptoms so SO much...

Let me know if you have questions or specifics or anything... Wishing you the best of luck, especially because knowing that we HAVE to do something for our HEALTH and LIFE really doesn't make it any easier.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    This group has a phenomenal amount of support and information, as well as successful vegetarians on this way of eating (for more ideas and choices!)...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Check out http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group for more help (especially check out the launchpad, tons of useful information). Also, we can't offer more specific information without knowing what you're currently eating.

That said, like @A_Dabauer‌ said, the key is fat. Lard/bacon grease, butter, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, walnut oil, fatty meats, cream, cheeses, nuts. These are all fair game on a low carb diet. Life becomes so much better when you realize that fat isn't the enemy, but rather is your best friend.
    I just can't fathom that fruits and veggies are bad for anyone.

Unfortunately, that is exactly the case. Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from, and that goes doubly so for us. Starch is, for all intents and purposes, sugar, as well, and the end result in the body is the same.

That doesn't mean that all vegetables or fruit are bad even for us. Non starchy vegetables, berries, stone fruit, and fatty fruits (coconut and avocado) are good, though some still need some moderation (sweeter fruits should still be monitored). Broccoli, asparagus, leafy greens, strawberries (in moderation), avocado, coconut, etc. are your friends. These do better, because the bulk of their carbohydrates come from fiber.

And yes, you can have quite a bit of vegetables, even on ketogenic levels of carb intake.
  • Pinuplvr1218
    Options
    Thanks, guys for your tips and input. It's just what I needed. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that I could get away with a "normal" diet. It's okay, I got this. I'm just going to put on my big girl panties and stop whining about it and do it. I know it will become easier when I start seeing results. Have a great day!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys for your tips and input. It's just what I needed. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that I could get away with a "normal" diet. It's okay, I got this. I'm just going to put on my big girl panties and stop whining about it and do it. I know it will become easier when I start seeing results. Have a great day!

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I actually prefer this way of eating as my "normal." The diet that most people eat is what contributed to my problems.

Besides, what other way of eating encourages you to cook with cream, put mayo and cheese on burgers (and eat burgers, for that matter), and add butter to everything (including a nice, fatty, ribeye steak)? :wink:
  • Pinuplvr1218
    Options
    Mmmm...steak... LOL I know and I know it's my mind playing with me. The old you want what you can't or shouldn't have! lol
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Living without carbs is a skill learned over time. You will find substitutes that replace your favorite foods, or find after a few years, those favorites don't even taste good anymore. I still have times I just have to eat that wonderful piece of pie. Know what? Most of the time, it wasn't worth the cheat, but I learned from the experience, and don't do it again.

I'm keto now, and my macros are 5% carb/ 20% protein/ 75% fat. My current calorie intake is 1200-1500, and carbs are under 20 daily.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    Living without carbs is a skill learned over time. You will find substitutes that replace your favorite foods, or find after a few years, those favorites don't even taste good anymore. I still have times I just have to eat that wonderful piece of pie. Know what? Most of the time, it wasn't worth the cheat, but I learned from the experience, and don't do it again.

I'm keto now, and my macros are 5% carb/ 20% protein/ 75% fat. My current calorie intake is 1200-1500, and carbs are under 20 daily.

I love custard, and the copycat recipe for the olive garden's black tie mousse cake is one of my guy's favorites. The last time I made it for him, I was trying to figure out how to turn it Keto. LOL It's already mostly heavy cream, cream cheese, eggs, etc. All I have to do is figure out the custard conversion (sugar, flour added), and the chocolate (but I think @DittoDan's chocolate put back together recipe might help there), and I'm sure some sort of almond flour crust. It'd still have some carbs, but I can see that when I want that taste profile.

And there are a TON of pumpkin pie type Keto recipes. That was my hands down favorite pie anyway, so I'm good to go on pie!! @ldmoor

That being said, @Pinuplvr1218‌ I agree, once you get used to it, it is much easier. Only thing I'm struggling with is food boredom and lack of funds. LOL