Keto while sick?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I just got struck down by a stomach bug/possible food poisoning. The doctor gave me a suggested menu for the next two days which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and decaf tea. With the exception of the tea, all of these things are generally on my forbidden list for low carb foods. What do you eat if you're trying to stick to Low Carb when you're sick? (My goal is 15 to 20 g of net carbs per day)

Replies

• Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how bought chicken broth? Basically bland foods, Maybe some cabbage.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    I just got struck down by a stomach bug/possible food poisoning. The doctor gave me a suggested menu for the next two days which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and decaf tea. With the exception of the tea, all of these things are generally on my forbidden list for low carb foods. What do you eat if you're trying to stick to Low Carb when you're sick? (My goal is 15 to 20 g of net carbs per day)

I would say follow the doctor said advice as long as you asked for alternatives and none were provided. Especially if meds are involved.

Had a bug a while back. was on yogurt and butter rice for a week. felt better then went back on keto.

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Broth, heavy cream if you're up to it, bananas aren't necessarily bad, I like them fried in coconut oil.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Personally after low carbing for as long as I have those foods would make me sick if that's all I ate for the day. I would eat what you feel up to but maybe avoid too much fiber/roughage (vegetables).
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Home made Chicken Soup with Shirataki Noodles (very low carb noodles, usually found in the fake meat section of the grocery store). If you feel up to it, you could make a faux low carb bread
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth was always one of my go-to's when under the weather... Maybe the salt does the electrolyte thing for me there, too? LOL I would honestly just eat whatever appeals to you out of your normal foods, whatever you think you can tolerate, and focus on more of the "clear" type foods. Buillion has natural fats included in it anyway (you can always see the floating stuff on the surface), so maybe start out with a super low amount of coconut oil blended into broth? Like 1/2 TBSP? Or butter if that appeals.... I was thinking the coconut oil would be "clear."