W5D3. Are you freaking kidding me!

Options
peacemongernc
peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
Just finished W5D2. No one is more astonished that I am that I could run 8 mins... TWICE. Then I looked ahead to D3.

Really. 20 mins.

Do people often go straight to that from W5D2? Are they often successful?

I'm willing to slow it down a bit, but even so thst seems kinda out there.

Am I wrong? I was wrong about W5D2. I did it. Am I wrong about D3 also?

Shannon

Replies

• VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did day 2 twice as I wasn't feeling well on the second day. When it was time to do day 3 I completed it no problem. I'm now on week 7 and I can run 25 min straight. Go easy but you will be surprised at how well you do.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would say trust the process. It's worked for thousands of people. If you attempt a day and find you just can't do it… then sure, repeat it. No shame. Lots of us have had to that. But don't psyche yourself out before even trying it. Don't repeat days just because you're scared of moving on to the next one.

Yes, you probably are wrong. It is a jump. And it will challenge you. But I'm guessing every week up to now has challenged you too. But it is doable. It is almost entirely a mental thing. If you go into it thinking "I can't do this" your body will likely respond with "you're right. You can't." And you'll give out within the first 10 minutes (if not sooner). But if you go into with the the mindset of "I can and I will." Then your body will say "okay, let's do it." And before you know it, that 20 minutes will be behind you.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Trust the program!! :D
    I felt the same as you when I got to that point about 18 months ago. Now I'll rarely venture out on a run unless is 60min+

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    If you have followed the plan, the body can do W5D3. Your mind is scared, let it be but then ignore it. Like the others above I was there 6 months ago, went straight through it, then straight onto C210k, then a 10k race and now a HM in 10 days time.

The process works if you follow it, just start slower and either get faster if it is going well or slower if you start to feel tired, but just keep moving.

You can do it, I have every confidence in you and the process. Good luck not that you need it

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Really. 20 mins.

About 80% of long distance running is the phsychological, telling yourself that you can run for the length of time. There are two, IMO, big step change points in the C25K prgramme and almost everyone faces one of them thinking really.... You're at the second one.

Yes it's entirely feasible, you're physiologically capable of it now. Trust the plan, go out and do the run. Use your pace to help yourself keep moving.

I was the same just under two years ago, and as Tae mentions I now don't go out for less thn 60 minutes.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Trust the program! You are ready for this! Just slow down and keep telling yourself you can do it!
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who was not able to do W5D3 on my first try. I jogged 10 minutes, walked for 5, then jogged for 7. I took the next week and built my way up to the 20 minute run and was able to complete it one week after my first try! You can do it!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    MeanderingMammal is totally right. That is the first run where you learn that physical fitness is only part of it. It's only four more minute than you've already been running. FOUR. Do it, kick *kitten*, and then come tell us about it!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!! I'm so stinking proud of myself I could almost cry. 3 years ago I was down about 15 pounds from a starting weight of 304. Today I range between 177 and 187. And today I ran about 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I swear, I don't even recognize my life anymore!

Thank you all for your encouragement and wisdom!
  • VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! Your awesome!!!
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yay! I was just going to say that this day is ALL MENTAL. You can do it if you try! And LOOOOOKKK at you! You did it! Nice job!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!! I'm so stinking proud of myself I could almost cry. 3 years ago I was down about 15 pounds from a starting weight of 304. Today I range between 177 and 187. And today I ran about 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I swear, I don't even recognize my life anymore!

Congratulations, never doubted it. Well done on your journey, there are many other challenges you can overcome if you just do it, rather than listen to your fears. Go get 'em

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Amazing! (Of course, we all knew you could do it all along. :wink: Looking back at the program, it was one of my favorite days because I remember the sense of accomplishment afterward. The rest of the program is easy peasy from here on out.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    12f8r7gjztsw.gif
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    YAY! So glad you pushed through and were able to do it! Remember this feeling! YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU SET YOUR MIND TO! :D (*)
  • mamma1st
    mamma1st Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Way to go!!!
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

You're inspiring me :). Thank you. We are also the same age :). Congrats on your success so far
  • nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Amazing!!! Congrats :-)