Consensus on Coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Haven't had coffee today. Got 2 warnings in an hr on the main boards. My conclusion, coffee is essential for my mental well being.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Haven't had coffee today. Got 2 warnings in an hr on the main boards. My conclusion, coffee is essential for my mental well being.

And I, without my coffee, walk into walls (literally), stumble over my words, and forget what I was doing while I'm doing it.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    I hate bullet proof coffee, so I do it with tea. Maybe this would be more appetizing to you. If you try it, blend the fats in hot water before adding the tea bag.

I never thought of doing that! I did make it with tea the other day, but it came out wonky weird kind of insubstantial. Why do you recommend the tea bag after blending the fats, out of curiosity?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I've found I'm craving coffee in the evenings ever since I started eating like this. Any ideas? I need to get some decaf in my house, because if I drink regular coffee at night I'm never going to get the sleep I need to be up before 4:30!

Remember that decaf still has the permissible amount of caffeine in it. They say to dump as much caffeine as possible, you need to toss after the first 30 seconds in the pot or if using one of those new decaf coffee "tea" bags... Most caffeine is processed out in that time. You can dump it and enjoy the rest...
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I had to read that several times. So you are saying that the first 30 seconds of brew time has most of the caffeine? That would make sense, as it's also the strongest.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yes, sorry. When using decaf coffee or tea, the first 30 seconds of a "bag" in the water has the most residual caffeine. So it would stand to reason the same in a "pot" of coffee. I found this out when a former family member developed a severe allergy to caffeine, and we had to seek out all "hidden caffeine" just like hidden carbs now.

Just as point of reference, if your cocoa has been (processed with alkali), it is mostly caffeine free? Usually it might have 1-3 residual grams of carbs, depending on solid or powder/roughly per serving. Random crap I learned before.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Weird. Good information to have, though. :smile:
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that decaf is very bad for you, they eliminate caffeine with some toxic process. I will not touch decaf if it kills me.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh, you are right, @itcphotog! I think there is one method of processing that is natural and okay, but I'm sure that coffee is hard to find and expensive. Thanks for the reminder!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that any time we humans type to "remove" something from a product otherwise in it's natural state, all we do is screw it up!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that any time we humans type to "remove" something from a product otherwise in it's natural state, all we do is screw it up!

same being said when we try to 'add' something to a product otherwise in it's natural state.

humans, cant just stop touching things :smiley:
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I quit caffeine six months ago for health reasons, and it has been wonderful. I never knew it was responsible for the terrible afternoon slump I experienced daily, but apparently that was the crash from my morning bit. But I couldn't have caffeine after 3pm or it would keep me up all night.

IMO, it's a personal decision for everyone. Just because I did away with it doesn't mean everyone needs to do away with it. Just thought I'd share with you my experience.

If I had to do it over, I'd wean myself off instead of going through a week of withdrawal symptoms again. Just FYI. ;)
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee. Love my BPC with toouch of sweetness best. Just discovered Folgers Flavors, Carmel is good! No comments please on artificial blah, blah, blah. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    Love my coffee. Love my BPC with toouch of sweetness best. Just discovered Folgers Flavors, Carmel is good! No comments please on artificial blah, blah, blah. :)

Where do I get it? Carmel and I are best friends and I've been hankering for some in my coffee.

Oh, And the artificial bit? I'm not that perfect, not anywhere close.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf and use it to make BPC. Caffeine upsets my stomach, makes me crave sugar, and gives me chest pains but I like the taste soooo, decaf. Not too worried about the removal process.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting read about different processes used to make decaf

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Deadly-Coffee-Bean
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »

Where do I get it? Carmel and I are best friends and I've been hankering for some in my coffee.

Oh, And the artificial bit? I'm not that perfect, not anywhere close.

I think most stores carry it in the coffee aisle now. My Walmart does, and I'm in Smalltown USA... LOL There are also about 3 brand now of it, whereas about 2 weeks ago it was only the Folgers. Just beware, it's kind of like Mio, and it has coffee flavor with the caramel, so it might be overwhelming. We got some for the office - consensus is mixed - some love it, some hate it.