Bullet Proof Coffee Variations?

Options
13»

Replies

• saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just started researching HF. Can't imagine drinking fat, and certainly not in my coffee. I'm a purist there; straight up black for me.

All of the stuff I've read so far has been from people already into HF. How did you get started and how long did it take to get used to drinking this?

I just told my daughter to pick up some lard, and she looked at me like I was crazy. I grew up eating almost everything fried in lard, so that doesn't turn me off.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Sara, just start slow. Use heavy whipping cream instead of creamer, then butter, then move on to coconut oil. Do NOT suddenly put 3 tbsp of coconut oil in your coffee or you'll be in the bathroom all morning, but with clear bowels when you're done. I picked up one of the little mixers made for protein drinks at Natural Grocers for $5 or $6 or so and use it to mix up my coffee in a mason jar. Mixes the fat in marvelously and I have just a touch of foam on top.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Also, the lard in the grocery store is not the same lard you grew up with. The stuff on the shelf is partially hydrogenated, if you're concerned about trans fat.
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer more butter to coconut oil ratio with my BPC, with a splash of heavy cream and into the blender it goes.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My BPC version:

First:
    Fat bombs: 14 oz coconut oil (that's what the jar I buy comes in), 1 stick of butter, 2-4Tbs Hershey's special dark cocoa, extract (vanilla, caramel, mint, chocolate, anise, orange, etc). A few drops to taste of sweetener like EZ Sweets. Melt, mix well, pour into two ice cube trays and freeze. Store in freezer.

Then for coffee: 2 cups of my favorite Keurig flavor (Cinnabon, caramel, etc). I run through the K-cup once, add two fat bombs from above. Let melt a little and mix like crazy. Use immersion blender, hand mixer with one beater, etc. Add protein powder (chocolate, yum).
    Mix again. (I find if you add the protein powder with the fat bombs it's too hot for the protein and the protein aggregates. That's the reason for two separate additions. ) Run a second cup of coffee through the same K cup. Mix and drink. Fat bomb and protein powder combos are almost infinite.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the Keto group but wanted to share it here because not everyone is in both groups... So please skip the duplicate if you are in both!

I have taken to doing mine (Bullet Proof Tea) in a water bottle so I can be mobile with it. I measure out 2.5 oz of heavy whipping cream and 1 TBSP of coconut oil. I shake the crap out of it until the cream is essentially whipped (feel no movement in the bottle when shaking it. I do this while my tea is brewing, but you could easily do it with your coffee. Then, I add in a few ounces of my hot beverage, and shake until I hear the coconut oil stop "thumping" and feel the temperature of the bottle drop a bit. Then I add about half of my remaining hot beverage and shake for all I'm worth. Then the final bit, and again, shake until you get that visible froth. It takes a little effort, but it's a arm workout, right? ;)

My coconut oil stays well suspended, just as if I'd made it with a blender. I might be able to do more and/or add butter, but I upped my heavy cream to compensate. It adds a few carbs over the others, but is much easier for "on the go." I've done this now 4-5 business days and am very happy with the results.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    saraphim41 wrote: »
    Just started researching HF. Can't imagine drinking fat, and certainly not in my coffee. I'm a purist there; straight up black for me.

Keep drinking it black, it's much simpler.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I put 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp MCT oil in mine, no fancy flavorings. But before low carb, I used to like eggnog in my coffee during the holidays. So every now and then, I make an egg coffee variation of BP coffee, with butter, MCT oil, 1 raw egg, a splash of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and a tiny bit of stevia. It is a bit more substantial than my usual BP coffee. At work I just put HWC in my coffee.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I posted this in the Keto group but wanted to share it ithere because not everyone is in both groups... So please skip the duplicate if you are in both!

I have taken to doing mine (Bullet Proof Tea) in a water bottle so I can be mobile with it. I measure out 2.5 oz of heavy whipping cream and 1 TBSP of coconut oil. I shake the crap out of it until the cream is essentially whipped (feel no movement in the bottle when shaking it. I do this while my tea is brewing, but you could easily do it with your coffee. Then, I add in a few ounces of my hot beverage, and shake until I hear the coconut oil stop "thumping" and feel the temperature of the bottle drop a bit. Then I add about half of my remaining hot beverage and shake for all I'm worth. Then the final bit, and again, shake until you get that visible froth. It takes a little effort, but it's a arm workout, right? ;)

My coconut oil stays well suspended, just as if I'd made it with a blender. I might be able to do more and/or add butter, but I upped my heavy cream to compensate. It adds a few carbs over the others, but is much easier for "on the go." I've done this now 4-5 business days and am very happy with the results.

Can confirm that butter mixed in perfectly and wanted to say that you are a genius.
    So perfect, I think you could do this in a hotel room with butter pats, half and half, and coconut oil if you packed it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I posted this in the Keto group but wanted to share it ithere because not everyone is in both groups... So please skip the duplicate if you are in both!

Can confirm that butter mixed in perfectly and wanted to say that you are a genius.
    So perfect, I think you could do this in a hotel room with butter pats, half and half, and coconut oil if you packed it.

@sweetteadrinker2‌ I'm so glad it worked for you!! I just got tired of having to dirty up every single thing in my kitchen to make it, seemingly. NOTE: I don't have an immersion blender - was having to use a traditional one. Also, the stir at every addition bit I got from the jello fat bombs to prevent separation, so I figured it would help with suspension! Glad we all have a new little nugget of option in our books.

I would think that coconut oil could be measured out into 1-2 TBSP portions in a ziploc for each portion, kept in a purse or something. Snip (bite/tear, if despearate, I guess) off the corner of the bag, warm the oil in your hands, then squeeze out of the bag (a small hole would act as a funnel, right into the bottle). I can see this going great for traveling instead of having to bring a whole giant jar!!!! And inidivual baggies like that wouldn't add up to more than 3 oz, AND you could put some in your purse/carry on (if flying) and some in your duffle/overnight, etc. Spread it out... And most places have butter as an option... Yay!

(You could even possibly do this in a restaurant by blending just enough coffee to melt/suspend things...)
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ;)
    Twibbly wrote: »
    My husband last night: "are you licking coconut oil off that spoon??"

My husband is greatly disturbed when I do that, as well as when I just slice a piece of the stick of butter and pop it into my mouth.
    ;) Love it!
  • Twibbly
    Options
    KnitorMiss, I can buy 1 oz packets of a brand of coconut oil called Kelapo at Natural Grocers. Probably too expensive for every day use, but it might be useful for traveling.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells jello shooter cups with lids in the foil, plastic wrap aisle. Condiment cups is the boring name for them. you can make your own single serve packets and freeze.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    tiarew wrote: »
    Walmart sells jello shooter cups with lids in the foil, plastic wrap aisle. Condiment cups is the boring name for them. you can make your own single serve packets and freeze.

I have a bunch of the 1oz condiment cups with lids. Great for portioning whatever.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. Still researching.

I am a fan of Atkins, and have had some success with that. Then I discovered I had Diabetes 2, and let the doctors scare me off Atkins.

Wow! I have learned that this D2 thing is a real trip! Any medication that actually effects blood glucose reduction automatically makes you hungry. And the more weight I gained, the more serious the D2 became, and the more medication I needed. Nertz! I'm going back on Atkins immediately! Meanwhile, the HF thing is something new to me.

I'll be asking questions that may seem silly to those of you who have been practicing HF for a while. Please forgive. And thanks again.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    After reading this post:

Vinegar and Insulin Resistance

Maybe you could add a tablespoon of vinegar to your BPC?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    @Carly I saved several of the plastic cups from cafe . They have lids. Usually salad dressing or mayo come in them. I use them to pack small things or dips or mayo for our lunches. Would be perfect for your fat bombs. I usually zip then in a small zip lock just in case the lids snap off. I have not had this happen but I do not want to clean up the mess if it does.

Thinking they would hole a small serving of cream cheese, or nuts or chopped olives, peanut butter if you can eat it. Sour cream for dipping pork skins in. There is quite a bit of protein in pork skins.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i make mine with celestial seasonings roastaroma and spiced ghee. super yummy!