My goal for the week :)

Options
minipony
minipony Posts: 194 Member
this week I'm going to commit to not eating while I'm supposed to be sleeping. At most I'll allow myself a diet hot cocoa. By the way, I just posted this in the wrong category. So embarrassing and now I can't remove it. Anyways, anyone else want to make a goal for the week?

Replies

• alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    This is a great idea, thanks for starting this!

My goal for the week is to go to all my appointments at the IOP and make baby steps to develop trust! (Have a really hard time trusting people, and not panicking that I'm going to be rejected or that they're going to get frustrated with me!)

It's not exactly food related, but it's ed related!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue eating healthily (ie eating my calorie allowance). So far so good (though there are too many days in my diary where once exercise is taken into account my net intake is not high enough). I have actually put off doing anything about the weight I'd gained for the past three years (and in that time 5kg turned into 15) out of pure fear of slipping back into restrictive eating. I made a few attempts at 'tricking' myself into losing weight (as in, trying to lose weight while pretending I wasn't :p ), but fact is I need to track to stick at it. So the aim is to make tracking work in my favour, cos I can see a number I have to get to each day.
  • minipony
    Options
    So glad everyone has joined me. Well last night was way much better than it has been going. I woke up at 1 pm, had a diet hot cocoa and went back to sleep. Woke up at 3, watched a tv show, back to sleep. Woke up at 4:30 and was definitely really hungry so had an apple and lettuce with light raspberry dressing. Now I'm not sure if I should add those into my calories or not. I was about 100 under for yesterday so I'm thinking just don't worry about it and start today fresh. However, I did so much better than usual I'm counting it as my first successful day! 1 of 7. =) Alskarani-when I was going to iop it was huge for me to make it everyday. Putting trust in others was so scary but at that point I had no other choice. I was at bottom. YOu can do it!!! Write back and let us know how today goes, your ups and downs. Nony- I too struggle with whether or not I should eat my exercise calories. I usually don't. I love your idea of working with your tracking. When I do, I become very honest with myself and although sometimes I don't like to look at it, it sends me on the right track. Good luck everyone!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Awesome work Pony!!

I think the not counting exercise is a hangover from when I did Weight Watchers years ago, you had the option of using exercise to 'earn' extra food or going for a faster weight loss, I always choose the latter. Of course the calorie burns MFP gives are completely out of whack with reality, so it doesn't help with knowing what your net actually is!

I thought of another goal that is kind of tied in last night, or makes my first one more important right now. I need to accept that my body is doing whacked out hormone stuff at the mo' (PCOS, had a cyst flare up for the first time since I don't know when about 5 days ago), and consequently weight seems to be sitting still. So I need to not do anything rash like cutting calories to get it moving again.
  • minipony
    Options
    I've learned a little about pcos. It sounds a bit hard to manage. I agree nony, accepting where we are is a huge part of feeling good about ourselves and getting a healthy mind and body. Thanks for bringing that up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I think my PCOS is nothing compared to a lot of women's. I'm actually relatively symptom-free, just the occasional cyst trying to burst, or worse still actually bursting (that is pain I would never wish on anyone), and I have to watch my carbs to lose weight.

Now, in the interests of accountability, I managed to end up with a pile of calories left over for dinner today, and instead of just doing the smart thing and getting an ice cream, I made a big, healthy stuffed buttercup pumpkin for dinner, equally about 800 cals. Needless to say it kicked my butt, I only got 3/4 of the way through it. I was going to go to the shop and get an ice cream or something to deal to the rest, but there is seriously no room in my belly. So I'm about 300 cal short on net today :\.

This is the deliciousness, if anyone would like the recipe let me know (I recommend not trying to eat the whole thing in one sitting).

s430flme7lt2.jpg
  • minipony
    Options
    nony....sounds like you gave it your all and tried to eat more nutritious food over the ice cream. What is your calorie goal for the day.

As for me I had a slip up last night so tonight is day one start over. Next time my goal is to make it to two or three or whatever I can do. I'm not going to beat myself up over it though. It was hard to tune out the negative thoughts but I did.

Today though my exercise instructor said I was too skinny in a nice way. This means I have to eat more. Ugh...scares me to death. My nutritionist upped me to 1400 cals which already scares me. I think I'm going to do close to 1400 until I get comfortable with it.

What is that? I'd love the recipe!!! =)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Well, I would have had nutritious stuff and ice cream ;). I've got my cals at 1200 at the moment, but increase on days when I'm doing fieldwork. When I'm at home working (or more likely mucking around on the internet) I'm sedentary as, unless I'm doing exercise, so that's totally adequate for me. Fieldwork days, even if I'm just standing watching diggers, I am way hungrier. I'm also up earlier, so it's kind of like I have an extra meal time.

Ease up to the 1400, you don't need to do it all at once. But you're aiming for maintenance now, right? Yay!! Honestly, I would not want to be trying to lose weight and do ED recovery at the same time.

I will start a new thread with the recipe so as not to clutter up this one :) (it's stuffed buttercup squash btw).
  • alskarani
    Options
    I went to my appointments today...but it was so rough, I have a pretty strong instinct to flee! :(
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    alskarani wrote: »
    I went to my appointments today...but it was so rough, I have a pretty strong instinct to flee! :(

But you went, and that is great!! Hang in there, it will get easier :)

How was it rough? Anything we can help you with?
  • alskarani
    Options
    Thanks. :)

It's intimating to be in a group setting and have to talk about such deeply personal things. I have a lot of trouble trusting others, have had a lot of relational trauma in the past few years, and it hard enough to open up to one other person, let along be vulnerable in front of 10!

But that's what the majority of time there will be! I don't see how it will help me if I can't participate! I don't know what to do!
  • minipony
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Well, I would have had nutritious stuff and ice cream ;). I've got my cals at 1200 at the moment, but increase on days when I'm doing fieldwork. When I'm at home working (or more likely mucking around on the internet) I'm sedentary as, unless I'm doing exercise, so that's totally adequate for me. Fieldwork days, even if I'm just standing watching diggers, I am way hungrier. I'm also up earlier, so it's kind of like I have an extra meal time.

Ease up to the 1400, you don't need to do it all at once. But you're aiming for maintenance now, right? Yay!! Honestly, I would not want to be trying to lose weight and do ED recovery at the same time.

I will start a new thread with the recipe so as not to clutter up this one :) (it's stuffed buttercup squash btw).

Well I feel like I should be in maintenance but my mom, exercise instructor and nutritionist think I'm too thin. I on the otherhand feel kind of large at the moment. This is not surprising since I have an ED. I was at 1200 to but she upped me to 1300 and then 1400. I'm trying the 1400 and we will see how my body reacts. Do you own a farm? I ride horse and jump them in competitions, but I'm a school teacher as my main job.
  • minipony
    Options
    By the way, had a really great day and night. Today I'm heading for another great day and night. That will be two days in a row! Woohoo.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    alskarani wrote: »
    Thanks. :)

It's intimating to be in a group setting and have to talk about such deeply personal things. I have a lot of trouble trusting others, have had a lot of relational trauma in the past few years, and it hard enough to open up to one other person, let along be vulnerable in front of 10!

But that's what the majority of time there will be! I don't see how it will help me if I can't participate! I don't know what to do!

Ah, gotcha. It's okay to just listen to start with :). As you feel more comfortable you will open up and start joining in the discussions more I'm sure. I did an every day group therapy thing when I was 18 (pre-ED, I was just a bit of a basketcase), and I needed to ease into it. Remember, they understand that. They are totally used to it. Maybe you can let one of the staff know that you're not quite ready to open up in front of the group so that they are aware and you don't feel pressured.
    minipony wrote: »

Well I feel like I should be in maintenance but my mom, exercise instructor and nutritionist think I'm too thin. I on the otherhand feel kind of large at the moment. This is not surprising since I have an ED. I was at 1200 to but she upped me to 1300 and then 1400. I'm trying the 1400 and we will see how my body reacts. Do you own a farm? I ride horse and jump them in competitions, but I'm a school teacher as my main job.

Okay, chances are they are right. But you are building up your calories slowly, so you're not going to pack on weight overnight, trust me :) (makes mental note to start new thread about 'starvation mode' myth). Just like with weight loss, slow and steady wins the race.

I'm an archaeologist. So sometimes I'm doing fieldwork, which at the moment is on a new expressway road being built in my region. Those days involve getting up around 5.30am, in the car by 6.30, driving for an hour and then standing around watching diggers all day, with occasional bursts of archaeology if they uncover a site. If I do a full day it's 12 hours from the time I leave home until I get back, so planning food is pretty important!
    minipony wrote: »
    By the way, had a really great day and night. Today I'm heading for another great day and night. That will be two days in a row! Woohoo.

Yus!!! Go you :)

I am hitting my calorie target for the day, but not eating back exercise cals cos I'm 'banking' some for when my dad is here to visit this coming weekend. I know he wants to take me and my niece out for dinner, and I can't say no to my almost 83 year old pa who I don't see nearly enough.
  • minipony
    Options
    That is great! I like how you are planning and going to allow yourself to enjoy a special meal with your pa. =) I think I asked you in another thread what you do for work, so disregard if I did. Sounds like an amazing job! I'd love to show my students information about that job. May sound funny, but they are so limited in what they see in their poor community. I'd love to open up their horizons. Is there a good website to go to to teach about archaeology?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'll have a look and see what I can find for you :). What age are they?

I was in such a tizz on Sunday about my weight not moving (despite knowing it was hormones and fluid) that I was all prepared to just say to him I didn't want to go out for dinner. Then I realised how crappy a thing to do that was and that there was no reason I couldn't just save up some cals during the week.
  • alskarani
    Options
    So, I went to all of my appointments this week! Even scheduled an extra one, haha. Goal accomplished. Next appointments are on Monday.

My new goal, until then, is to cook food and eat it. I get stuck on only eating raw or cold things, hot food can make me feel worried. (Why? I don't know!) I have some aubergine and some snap peas and carrots that I could do something interesting with. I have 4 days to come up with something!

I considered making an "increase calories" goal for myself, like up to 900 a day, but I don't know if I'm ready for that. I might wait until I can meet with my dietician before I try a goal like that. But, per nony's suggestion, perhaps i could settle with not restricting more. So, goal is: not below 800. There, I said it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Excellent work Alskarani!
  • minipony
    Options
    I'll have a look and see what I can find for you :). What age are they?

I was in such a tizz on Sunday about my weight not moving (despite knowing it was hormones and fluid) that I was all prepared to just say to him I didn't want to go out for dinner. Then I realised how crappy a thing to do that was and that there was no reason I couldn't just save up some cals during the week.

Did you enjoy your dinner? =)
  • minipony
    Options
    Sounds like you made great progress Alskarani. I love working with a nutritionist. Once you develop a trusting relationship with her its actually fun to try new things.

Thursday night will be my restart day over. I feel like I've made a lot of progress in understanding my eating patterns more so each time should get longer and longer.