How long were you on liquid diet before surgery?

Options
2»

Replies

• lioykavsg
    lioykavsg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved March 2nd. One week out. I was on a two week Liquid diet of the optifast 800. First few days were hard but the hardest was day 5 and 6. From there everything was quick. I still have another 2 weeks of Liquid diet post op. In Hindsight, the pre surgical liquid diet is easier! Good luck. Keep your eye on the prize
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    5BesutifulDays- Lowfat Cottage Cheese has been my comfort food since coming off of a liquid diet as well! And I still have it for lunch several times week even though I'm pretty much unrestricted in what I can eat now.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I still eat it, too, cabennet! It's great quick protein.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had my pre-op meeting with the surgeon and hospital yesterday (surgery is scheduled for Monday) He was so impressed with my 35 pound weight loss the past 2 months he told me not to worry about exactly what I eat. I told him I was getting my protein and staying away from the bad carbs and sugar. He responded, "Obviously you're doing great based on your weight loss. Just keep doing whatever is working for the next few days." Of course on Sunday he wants me on all liquids. But he did say I could have a creamy soup if I wanted as long as there was nothing solid in it.

I've come to the conclusion that these 2 week "liquid diets" are designed as more of a catch-all for patients who have slacked or come in late in terms of the lead up to surgery. The dr and hospital want to make sure everyone loses at least a little weight so if they force people on this diet they are bound to lose 5-10 pounds in that 2 week period.

Fortunately, this is something (hopefully!) I'll never have to deal with again. I know Sunday will be a bit of a challenge being on pure liquids. But that's only one day. I'm more worried about Monday being dehydrated without drinking water. Sometimes I wake up with dry mouth and it's going to be tough not to reach for some water.

Anyway, looking forward to finally getting it done in 3 days. I feel I've made some great strides the past few months. Just trying to live a healthy happy life for the rest of my years. Thank you everyone for your input and support!
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success on the 2 week pre-op diet! You've done so good! Yes, the all liquids day is pretty tough, but if you keep yourself busy/distracted, it will go by quickly. I am also that person that wakes up in the middle of the night wanting to drink some water, so I put everything away from my bed so I couldn't just reach for it. I did rinse my mouth out once because it was so dry. You've got this!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm into day 5 of a 14 day liquid diet. First few days I was starving but it's much easier now. Drinking tons of water (good practice for the future) and keeping my eye on the prize.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I only had to do all liquids for two days before surgery. I drank a lot of coffee, because the caffeine helped suppress my appetite.

I didn't have any problems post-surgery, I just wasn't interested in eating.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been on the liquid diet since March 18th and having sleeve surgery on April 1st; so that will be 2 weeks of the liquid diet. rpyle111 - like your comment about "tough love because I signed up for the program". since I've made it this far the rest of the journey is just another step.