Eating a "well formulated" ketogenic diet

2»

Replies

• JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    and yes, that interviewer in the first is awful. i should have put a disclaimer!
  • Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    This is all fantastic information, how do we keep it on the front page so new people can access it?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Might I add: Organ meats are our friends. Liver has tons of nutrition, and can be ground & frozen into tiny pieces you can just swallow, if necessary. I occasionally get a blend of meat from one of the local ranchers that has heart & liver in with the ground beef.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Liver has tons of nutrition

Watch the carbs tho

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    Liver has tons of nutrition

Watch the carbs tho

I haven't had it since I've been running my numbers, so that's good to know. I only get it once or twice a month, so it shouldn't be too bad. It looks like it's about 1 carb per ounce.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Caught me by surprise the first time --- thought it'd be "free" ( :) ) like most meat so I ate a bunch. Then it's like, doh!, where is all the glycogen stored? Oh yeah: the liver......
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Might I add: Organ meats are our friends. Liver has tons of nutrition, and can be ground & frozen into tiny pieces you can just swallow, if necessary. I occasionally get a blend of meat from one of the local ranchers that has heart & liver in with the ground beef.

this. i try to diversify my diet as much as possible. this means eating offal on a regular basis, and other off the wall things like beef heart and chicken gizzards, etc. salmon, canned sardines and oysters (like liver, a bit higher in carbs), steamed. mussels in addition to a cup of bone broth daily or every other day and as many varied kinds of greens as i can incorporate.

lots of good quality fats - lard and talloe left over from cooking, ghee or pastured butter, avocado, coconut oil, olive oil on salads.

i supplement with carlson's super 2 daily and their fish oil, a tsp. of himalayan or real salt (the stuff from utah) in my "keto lemonade" or bone broth daily. warm lemon water in the a.m. and natiral the calm (mag. citrate) at night. lots and lots of water.

i have been adding sea vegetables (dulse, wakame) to my bone broth for added potassium and sodium. with some garlic salt (trader joe's sells a great one that you grind: parsley, gray sea salt and dried garlic) and coconut aminos, it's quite tasty!

and probiotics - fermented foods like raw sauerkraut and water/coconut kefir for lactic and a supplement for soil based.

i think that's about it! sounds like a lot, but it's all really simple stuff to add in where you can.

good luck!
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    that would be tallow! (:

one more bit - i have found a good trick to using up bone broth in a timely manner (my kiddo doesn't usually want much so it's usually just me):

i pour whatever portion of my pot of broth i wont use into ice cube trays and store them once they're frozen in ziplocs, 8 cubes per bag (1 cup). then just pop those in a saucepan in the morning - the broth is defrosted and hot to drink in a few minutes!

using bags isn't super ideal from an ecological standpoint, but i reuse them.
  • cmayf33
    cmayf33 Posts: 1 Member
    I get leg cramps at night with extremely low levels of exercise! Magnesium supplements help, but haven't dared supplement potassium. I do use a lo-salt potassium/sodium mix, but I don't use it a whole lot because, as @zoom2 says, feel like my food is salty enough for me!

I do however often wake up around 4 or 5 am sweaty and palpitations. I really don't think it's blood sugar problems which I used to think it was and now I am stumped what is causing it. I was wondering it is was early menopause (I'm 41) but it doesn't happen any other time. Some other deficiency?

I'm 43, following LC, and was just in the ER in November for palpitations. They couldn't figure out why, no heart attack, stoke, not my diet....but they went away. I was overdosing myself on magnesium. When I stopped taking that supplement, the palpitations stopped. You might try that. :)
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    cmayf33 wrote: »
    I get leg cramps at night with extremely low levels of exercise! Magnesium supplements help, but haven't dared supplement potassium. I do use a lo-salt potassium/sodium mix, but I don't use it a whole lot because, as @zoom2 says, feel like my food is salty enough for me!

I do however often wake up around 4 or 5 am sweaty and palpitations. I really don't think it's blood sugar problems which I used to think it was and now I am stumped what is causing it. I was wondering it is was early menopause (I'm 41) but it doesn't happen any other time. Some other deficiency?

I'm 43, following LC, and was just in the ER in November for palpitations. They couldn't figure out why, no heart attack, stoke, not my diet....but they went away. I was overdosing myself on magnesium. When I stopped taking that supplement, the palpitations stopped. You might try that. :)

I have had heart palps on and off for the past few months...definitely diet related for me. To ease this, I chug down water with a little salt in it...then chug more water w/o salt.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    cmayf33 wrote: »

Oh thanks for the feedback. I got the palpitations before I started keto as well. Plus I only take half the magnesium dose. If I don't take the mag I get cramps... sorry to hear you had to go to the ER though!