Metabolism Reset and Weight Gain, is my reset done?

Options
burdekmm
burdekmm Posts: 7
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I just finished my 7th week of reset, I plan on going 12. I had anorexia/bulimia for 3ish years and was neting 900calories a day, and I figured that I needed to do a long reset. I had started recovering about a year ago, and went from 155lbs to 180. I was neting about 1400cal a day, calculated with cardio and pilates.

When I started the metabolism reset I was at 180, the first two weeks of eating my calculated tdee (average 2200 based on mfp and fitbit adjustment) I lost three pounds and held that for a few weeks. These last four weeks, I have steadily gained 1.8 pounds a week. I am now at 190.

Is this a sign my reset is done? Or just a common weight trend that happens? I find it hard to believe I'm overeating daily by 900calories when I'm consuming 2200cal a day or slightly above. I am doing strength training at home,and stopped my cardio besides walking, but I don't know if that's enough to give me crazy water weight bloat.

Because this has been a solid upward trend for a month I'm really nervous of this continuing for another month.

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice to give you myself but congrats on your recovery process from your ED. I am curious as to what people have to say about this too. I just started EM2WL last week so would love to hear other peoples input on your situation. Good luck getting some answers!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First, confirm your weigh-ins that give those results are valid.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

So, are all days valid that leads to 1.8 lbs gain weekly?

Because you did the math correctly, proving it can't be fat, because you obviously aren't eating that much over true maintenance.

Second, look at when you started the strength training.
    If it's been going on, the only water weight gain would be from after a workout repair, hence a valid weigh-in day not being sore.
    Though, if you've been doing it long enough you might not feel sore, but still retain for repair.

But if you started a program after initial weigh-in, that could impact results.
    Or changed it up a lot.

Also, did recent new stress start perhaps, that can cause water weight gain too.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Totally curious about this and would love to hear your opinion @heybales‌ !
    So I have been eating under maintenance for quite some time and I think my metabolism is kinda broken or incredibly sluggish. I started eating VERY little being scared of weight gain and started a horrible binge/restrict process that I have managed to end before it was too late.

However, I have noticed that my weight fluctuates a lot despite me knowing I haven't eaten enough to cause weight gain (I have a very demanding warehouse job so I'm QUITE active!)
    I did some weight training today with a friend. Today was mostly focused on push ups to help develop some chest muscle.

I then decided to do a "refeed" day in hopes that my metabolism will start ticking again. It was a nice liberating process as I ate consciously and it didn't feel like a binge. I had a chicken skewer, a turkey sandwich (God I missed bread!) and a whole pack of cookies + nutella 2 go. I know I'll gain some water weight, but will that help my body tick again?

Also, will it help with the muscle development? I'm hoping it will since I don't think I tend to eat enough for muscle development, something I'd like to change. (Apologies for the long post!)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    One day isn't enough to help really.

Like that's how people say they eat 1200 and gain weight.
    No, actually their goal is 1200 on most days, and have likely suppressed their daily burn well below what they think it is.
    It's the splurge days eating 2000 once or twice a week that has them eating over TDEE by say 200-300 calories. So after a few weeks, indeed a true fat gain.
    The average eating level may not appear bad at all, not much over 1200, but it's how it's done. Not often enough to reset hormones and speed body back up, but enough to eat in surplus and add fat.

And what really happens on the scale in that case is terrible, because 200-300 calories is minor fat gain, but the water weight gain from storing like 500-1000 more carbs, and likely higher sodium, is going to really appear bad.

So not likely to do much for speeding body up, but it should know what to do with extra calories if there is needed repair to be done.

That's why it's usually recommended when increasing the eating to be resistance training - body will use extra calories well.
    If it was just cardio, and especially intense or endurance, body would just store more carbs with water, and fat. Not much improvement needed other than that for endurance cardio.

If your weight fluctuations are fast and big enough they must be water, then that likely proves you are still at decent enough deficit that carb stores are in a decently depleted state.

Ever done the 2 week 250 test?
    Daily eat 250 more than normal for 2 weeks.
    If you were eating at maintenance, would only cause a slow 1 lb gain, and if strength training, not even all fat.
    If faster or more gain, then you just proved prior level was not potential maintenance - you just topped off some carb stores, which would never be in depleted state if eating at maintenance.