High Protein, Low Carb Meal Ideas

bluheron_81
bluheron_81 Posts: 9 Member
Hello Everyone. I had the VSG on January 30th, 2015. My highest weight was 330. Surgery weight was 318, and I'm currently 290. I just recently started on solid foods and would like some additional meal ideas.

The past two days, I have been eating:
B - Scrambled egg and turkey bacon
L/D - Shell-less Tacos - Ground Turkey, Fat-free refried beans with a spoonful of shredded cheese
S - Premier Protein Shakes

What are you currently eating? Please also share your surgery type and date. Thanks.

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Fish fillets 4oz, pork chops 4 oz, boneless chicken breast, Pettitte steak, refried beans, hamburger Patty, chili, beans, kale, quinoa, broccoli, spinach.etc
    Sleeve in July this year and lost 100# and at maintenance now.
  • How about crustless quiche made in mini muffin tins? Feel free to add me to your friends list so you can check out what I am eating?
    Originally Banded in 2008
    Band Removed Jan 2014 Converted to Sleeve at the Same time.
    Revised from Sleeve to RNY May 2014
    Have had lots of complications as a result from the band. 18 procedures in the last year.
    Jan 2015 Thankful to be alive!!!
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    If you have pinterest they give many many low carb meal ideas, if you are only cooking for you freezing meals are great!
  • bluheron_81
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  • new_clear
    new_clear Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    VSG 14-Mar-14
    SW 227
    CW 143

Last night I made made yummiest invention yet. I made a mushroom cap "pizza". The mushroom was ~ 4-5" in diameter. I used pesto and sun dried tomatoes as the base. Threw in some garlic, fennel, feta and topped w/ pecorino romano. It was so good, my gf admitted it was way superior to her steak.

Other subs I do is eggplant lasagna, zucchini noodles (get a veggie spiraliser), veggies au gratin (fennel is my favourite) and fritatas. A large bowl of veggie stir fry (I use sesame oil, ginger, garlic and soy sauce - no teryaki) is awesome, no noodle needed. I'm vegetarian, so I do tempeh thai curry (meat can be used for tempeh), and tonight, I'm excited about my eggplant, fried tofu and leaks dish.

Bowel movement is a common complaint of sleevers. As a vegetarian, I've never had an issue with that. I must admit that it's a lot more difficult to get all my protein in, so I'll have 1 syntrax a day as a snack and greek yoghurt when the mood strikes me. Check out some paleo or LCHF diet for a few more tips. Hopefully these give you some ideas though. Good luck!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    I was sleeved 1/13/15. I usually have either eggs, chicken, salmon or tuna for my main protein (my sleeve doesn't like pork, streak or ground beef).

Breakfasts usually consist of either an over easy egg or 2 egg whites with sautéed veggies (like Kale, onions, peppers, mushrooms), or with green chili and salsa.
    du84pebnxavu.jpg
    fodjwnw4rfb6.jpg
    Lunches are a protein like chicken or salmon with fruit and veggies. Or canned tuna or salmon mixed with homemade mayo and what ever I want with it. I also like chicken with a little mayo, cranberries, apples and pecans.
    0tqhtohyykpz.jpg
    nr12u2ckwhlc.jpg
    Afternoons I will have a protein shake or a quest bar to get my proteins up.

Dinners I make something for my family that I can eat or I make something small that I can have. I have fallen in love with chicken mixed almond butter and coconut aminos (it's like soy sauce) over "noodles", I use zucchini or sweet potatoes for that.
    6aedf0kpc2lz.jpg
    azq0k6j3kxho.jpg

I agree with looking on Pintrest. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from there. I love Instagram too! I loving seeing what other sleevers are eating!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Wow the person above me here has some awesome meals! I'm not quite so inventive. At your stage I was using canned chicken and ground meat as it digests easier. Everything needs to be moist so I also used a lot of sodium free broth. Shell free tacos, chili with beans and ground turkey, noodless lasagna (use ricotta cheese mxed with a beaten egg as the noodle layer), and small salmon, turkey or burger patties. I didn't worry too much about adding veggies at first. Also look on Egg Face's web page as she has lots of great receipes for VSG patients.
  • bluheron_81
    Wow. The pictures look yummy. I'm going to branch out and try some new things.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    OP, did you mean to ask what people were eating at Your stage?
    Because I know I wasn't allowed to eat a lot of these suggestions at less than 1 1/2 months out!
    Just wondering :smile:
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Hello, I was sleeved 2/2/15. My meals are still rather boring but I'm following the guidelines provided by my doctor's office. I'm having 2 oz of protein, fish or ground turkey. I can't move to chicken until I've tolerated ground turkey for two weeks. With the fish or turkey, I'm having about an ounce of very well (over cooked) veggies, and about a half of ounce of canned fruit. In addition to the small meals I'm having 3 times a day I do split a 4 oz yogurt into two snacks. And of course, I'm still drinking protein to make sure I get the correct amount of protein in daily.