Saturated Fat - Daily Intake Target

petr8888
petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
Hi - I am seeking to identify I guideline for saturated fat on a daily basis. Hopefully a percentage based on something like body weight so that I can tailor it it. Anybody got any ideas on this one.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    There isn't really a hard and fast or official guideline about it. Most people don't even really track it.

That said, I have MFP set up to have the fat breakdown (as percentage of total fat) as 50% saturated, 40-45% monounsaturated, and 5-10% polyunsaturated. This breakdown comes from the percentages of our (and many other animals') fat composition.

I still don't specifically seek out those percentages, but it's useful to give me an idea of when I go abnormally heavy on one or another, or to put the numbers that show up into perspective (and avoids stupid red negatives in the reports).
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    I also have my saturated about 50% of my total fat. I don't pay too close of attention to the others, but in general as Dragonwolf indicates, I prefer saturated, then monounsaturated, then polyunsaturated. I try to avoid trans fats as much as possible.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Mine is randomly set to be 40% of my fat goal. I usually go way over anyway, closer to 50%. I don't worry about it. I think I average around 100g a day.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't specifically track mine, but last week it was 43% of my total fat intake from saturated fats and also averaged 614mg of cholesterol per day. Screw you, AHA!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Keep carbs as your hard limit, set protein as a target relative to your LBM & activity level, and just "fill in" fat as needed for satiety, performance, and weight goals.
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks all for your guidance. I have set up for all three saturated, mono and plyunsaturated based on your thoughts. They were all prior set to defaults. Once I set based on your accumulated guidance I find that my actuals since inception are relatively close to the targets based on your accumulated experience.