Working out and weight gain

Options
betsysjl
betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
So I've been on this doctor supervised diet where I am supposed to be losing 2-3 lbs a week. I started the last week of January. Things went well the first month, but I have been increasing my workout intensity, and I've been gaining weight. I'm not allowed to eat my calories, and I feel like I'm not getting enough calories to make up for my exercise.

I haven't worked out since Friday, and now all of a sudden the scale is going down. I have noticed this problem before, but wasn't paying as much attention to it as I am now.

Does anyone else have this problem? I enjoy working out, but I also want to reach my goal weight. Any suggestions? I meet with my doctor next week, and have only discussed this with my nutritionist. She says I'm just need to push through it, but it depressing being on such a restrictive diet and not seeing the scale go down.

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Are you doing more strength building or cardio? It could be that you're adding muscle but so early into it that seems unlikely. I hope your doctor can shed some light.
  • betsysjl
    Options
    More cardio than strength, but my strenght training consists of a 3 lb weighted ball that I use at my desk. Not too heavy. Plus pilates, squats, etc. Nothing intense since I am just starting out. I upped my cardio, because I wasn't getting a good sweat, so I started doing C25K and HIIT on the elliptical (but only for 20 minutes).

The other times I noticed it (over the last year) was during Zumba and hiking (camping for the week).
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My guess is you aren't eating enough. What is your daily calorie goal? Have you ever compared it to what mfp recommends for you based on your weight and usual exercise?
  • betsysjl
    Options
    I'm on a 1,000 calorie program. I know this is low. I get messages every day from MFP. It is doctor supervised. I am there every other week. I agree that my calories are probably too low. I basically have shakes and protein bars for all meals and snacks except dinner. At dinner I can have 3-4 oz of protein, 2 servings of veggies, and 1 fat. Based on what I have for dinner, I often go over 1,000 calories but am usually under 1,200 calories.

Trust me, I know extreme diets are not healthy, but the longest I can do it is 6 months, and they help you transition to a regular diet. I get my blood work checked every 6 weeks. I was getting pretty desperate as I was gaining about 5 lbs a week before that.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'd say your body is just stalling which isn't unusual. You'll start dropping lbs again once things settle. Good luck. It will all be worth it.
  • natalie8313
    natalie8313 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I stalled and gained a little when I started working out. I was getting really discouraged. Turns out, MFP was giving me the wrong calorie goal and I actually needed to be eating 500 more calories a day. Once I changed up my intake I dropped 4 lbs that week. I would definitely say you are not eating enough to fuel the extra workout time.

My mom did this diet and lost over 100lbs. Which was great until she started gaining after she was off because she wasn't eating that low calorie intake anymore. But I don't think she had access to a nutritionist so she really didn't know what to do once she was off the diet. Good Luck! I wish you the best girl! I know it's hard! I know that you want to up your exercise but maybe go back to what you were doing last month and wait to add more until later. The more you exercise on that low of cals the longer it's going to take to come off because you body isn't getting the extra fuel it needs for that extra work.
  • betsysjl
    Options
    I met with the doctor this morning, and she thought it was weird. I'm going to try light workouts (walking 3x a week and light strength training) to see if there is a difference.
  • natalie8313
    natalie8313 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Keep us posted!