Low carb and IBS/IBD/Crohns

Options
2»

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    LunaKate wrote: »
    Can eating low carb be bad for people that have some sort of IBS/IBD?

Actually the diets designed for treating IBS/IBD restrict carbs. Check the low FODMAP diet and the SCD diet.

• happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If it is Crohns you may not find an answer about food tolerance. In fact in the 18 years I suffered I also did a bad thing of blaming myself for my food choices. I beat up on myself when truly there is nothing I could have done

I tried everything for 10 years. EVERYTHING. I finally had the whole large bowel removed and 24 inches of small removed. I have been surgery free and med free for 7 years and feel fabulous. I can eat anything I want,

I am low to moderate carb and limited dairy but that is because of the diet and not disease.

Good luck to both of you. It is a very hard road
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If it is Crohns you may not find an answer about food tolerance. In fact in the 18 years I suffered I also did a bad thing of blaming myself for my food choices. I beat up on myself when truly there is nothing I could have done

I tried everything for 10 years. EVERYTHING. I finally had the whole large bowel removed and 24 inches of small removed. I have been surgery free and med free for 7 years and feel fabulous. I can eat anything I want,

I am low to moderate carb and limited dairy but that is because of the diet and not disease.

Good luck to both of you. It is a very hard road

So glad you did what you needed and moved beyond this disease!! I very much understand the "trying everything"!
    OP keep pushing for a diagnosis! I have learned that one must advocate for oneself, so keep researching and be a squeaky wheel! If it is IBD, answers can take a lot of time. Persevere!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    At what age were you IBD/Chrons/Colitis folks diagnosed? One of my DH's coworkers was recently diagnosed...I think he's in his late 40s. He's apparently lost a ton of weight and looks emaciated at this point. I thought IBD conditions were generally present by one's 20s, so I have to wonder how many years he may have been suffering before things really became impossible to ignore (he's been off work for a month or two, now. Sounds like he won't require surgery, at this point).

My BIL has Chrons and has had several surgeries. He's <40 and was diagnosed as a teenager, AFAIK.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    zoom2 wrote: »
    At what age were you IBD/Chrons/Colitis folks diagnosed? One of my DH's coworkers was recently diagnosed...I think he's in his late 40s. He's apparently lost a ton of weight and looks emaciated at this point. I thought IBD conditions were generally present by one's 20s, so I have to wonder how many years he may have been suffering before things really became impossible to ignore (he's been off work for a month or two, now. Sounds like he won't require surgery, at this point).

My BIL has Chrons and has had several surgeries. He's <40 and was diagnosed as a teenager, AFAIK.

Peak diagnosis age is 10-20, with a second peak seen around age 50. (Acc. To Cleveland Clinic).
    So sorry about DH's coworker. It is debilitating until under control.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Peak diagnosis age is 10-20, with a second peak seen around age 50. (Acc. To Cleveland Clinic).
    So sorry about DH's coworker. It is debilitating until under control.

That makes sense, then. He's somewhere between 45 and 50, I believe. He's really been suffering, though it sounds like meds are helping immensely. I think my DH was saying that he was down to 160#s...and this is a guy who was well over 200, not long ago. He's over 6', too.