Advice needed...I am a little worried

Options
crystalsan726
crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
Okay I need advice and tips. I have been low carbing for a couple of weeks now. I am still getting the hang of it with baby steps. The advice I need is I am going to a Conference in April with some friends this is a yearly thing I do. I am freaking out over what I will be able to eat since I will not being in the comfortable familiar food enviroment of my home. With me being so new at this , going out to eat freaks me out now and I get overwhelmed at what I can and can't eat,especially fast food. Well this trip, food wise is always filled with going out to eat and getting snacks for the hotel room. I am so afraid that I am going to get overwhelmed at it all and give up and all my hard work will go down the drain. So I really need any advice or tips you have for me. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help.

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! I find eating out easy. Just eat the meat and green veggies and avoid the bread and potatoes. Most restaurants will make substitutions for you. If the steak comes with a baked potato, ask for steamed veggies and butter instead. As for hotel room snacks, I'd go with cheese, nuts, cold cuts. Fast food is a little trickier. Some places will have a salad topped with grilled chicken. Other than that you can order a burger (or a double burger) without the bun and a side salad. I find Wendy's and Carl's Jr. to be the easiest Fast Food places for me.
    I think the hardest thing is that you will probably be eating very differently than your companions. Sometimes that makes it really tempting to do what they are doing. Try to remember how good you feel eating this way. Also you will be further along with this and the longer you do it the easier it is.
    Good luck, and have fun at the conference!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It takes a month or two to develop a new habit. By April, you'll be on your way to no-brainer-ville. :)

It'll become second nature. You'll find yourself repulsed by the idea of carb-rich foods. You'll adapt to your surroundings. You'll find plenty of reasonable choices.

And you'll occasionally fall of the wagon, but you'll compensate when you get home by a few days of even lower carb and/or calorie intake.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There was a good link shared in another group, I think, that might help: http://www.ruled.me/keto-and-fast-food-on-the-go/

Essentially, basic rules - stay away from sauces and breads and obvious other things like pasta. Stick with eggs, meat, cheese, veggies you know how they are prepared. Add butter, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and unflavored cream cheese to anything. Make a batch of fat bombs (some can be kept at room temp) to stash n your hotel room's freezer/fridge, and consider trying Bullet Proof Coffee or Tea before you go, because if breakfast is carby (muffins and stuff, rather than eggs/bacon), you can do the bulletproof coffee or tea and just stash some nuts of beef jerky, etc. in your purse.

That's the highlights I can think of easily. Adding a few processed items in to get you through the trip might help (like beef jerky, beef sticks, summer sausage, pepperoni, homemade cheese crisps, etc.)... And water, water, water!!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    It takes a month or two to develop a new habit. By April, you'll be on your way to no-brainer-ville. :)

It'll become second nature. You'll find yourself repulsed by the idea of carb-rich foods. You'll adapt to your surroundings. You'll find plenty of reasonable choices.

And you'll occasionally fall of the wagon, but you'll compensate when you get home by a few days of even lower carb and/or calorie intake.

Yup. Love the way @wabmester worded this. :)
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for your fabulous tips and advice. I don't feel so overwhelmed and worried about it now. Thank again.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm only a couple weeks in myself, and I'm already pretty much repulsed by the thought of carbs. I definitely don't miss the carb slump (did someone here call it the "itis" earlier today?) and just the general sluggish feeling.... and the crazy hunger and cravings I had when I was a carbaholic! I think that in itself motivates me to keep on keeping on, even in the face of temptation (like when my husband and the kids wanted pizza, and I couldn't have any even though it was hot and fresh and right in my face). Most places will have something you can have. When my husband wants fast food, I just order a bacon cheeseburger (and I take it off the bun and eat the innards with a knife and fork) and a side salad; or if it's a place that has a decent grilled chicken salad, I'll get that. Last weekend I had a dream I absentmindedly ate french fries out of the kids' bag on the way home, but when I really was put in that situation the very next day I was mindful and resisted the urge. It's sometimes difficult to resist the temptation, but it's never impossible.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You are already aware of the situation -- and that makes it all the difference in the world!

I would take a varity of low carb snacks, so you aren't tempted by the carbs. I find a slice of cheese can do wonders. I would also suggest calling the hotel to find out if they do have a fridge in the room. My man and I recently stayed at an upscale hotel and I was dismayed to find out there was no fridge... and WIFI was $10 extra... but that is a totally different topic .

If you slip up- it sucks, we have all been there, but remember you are closer to where you want to be than when you started. The journey is the fun part:)
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I recently traveled to Washington DC for a conference for work. I was gone for 5 days and I had very little control over what I could eat. However, I did not let this get the best of me. At the airport, I bought a sandwich, threw out the bread and ate the meat/cheese. I only had two meals that I had to eat out while at the conference (every other meal/snack was provided), so I ordered steak w/veggies. During the snacks I found nuts and cheese to munch on. There was LOTS of temptation, fried foods, ice cream, donuts, cereal bars, french fries, you name it, they had it. I just stuck to my eating plan. Get some nuts for the room and maybe beef jerky, I also took quest bars in case I got really hungry. Good luck! You will do just fine!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Okay I need advice and tips. I have been low carbing for a couple of weeks now. I am still getting the hang of it with baby steps. The advice I need is I am going to a Conference in April with some friends this is a yearly thing I do. I am freaking out over what I will be able to eat since I will not being in the comfortable familiar food enviroment of my home. With me being so new at this , going out to eat freaks me out now and I get overwhelmed at what I can and can't eat,especially fast food. Well this trip, food wise is always filled with going out to eat and getting snacks for the hotel room. I am so afraid that I am going to get overwhelmed at it all and give up and all my hard work will go down the drain. So I really need any advice or tips you have for me. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help.

Hi Crystal,

Before I started keto diet LCHF, I used to eat out at least once a day and sometimes both lunch and dinner. I had the exact same fears as you did. "Had", is the key word. I now find it as a challenge or adventure to see how/what I can eat at any restuarant. I have learned which restaurants to avoid. If this is a special occasion, avoid fast food places. Go to a "sit down" restaurant.

The easiest to eat LCHF are steakhouses. Texas Roadhouse, Applebee's, Chili's, Famous Dave's, Olive Garden, etc. are all easy-to-eat-LCHF.

Avoid (if you can) Asian food, (rice) and most of their sauces are heavy laden with sugar. Although you can still eat there if you tell them you want the veggies/meat combos, ditch the rice and order a sauce that doesn't have sugar. Someone on this group may have a name of a sauce that will work.

Less desireable: Mexican or Tex/mex (beans, rice, tortilla's are in almost every meal). I go a Tex Mex here and order Fajitas, no beans, and Mexican steak.
    Middle Eastern is tough to eat Keto. Shish kabob it ok, ditch the pita and other breads. Tell them to add extra lo-carb veggies.

If a restaurant serves breakfast-all-day, order eggs and bacon then declare to your friends, "I love eating breakfast for dinner!" and they will agree. And you can have steak & eggs. Just dump the bisquits and hashbrowns. You can sometimes substitute Cottage cheese and lettuce for hash browns.

If you name some other possible restaurants you might go to, I am sure we can help you.

Also, if you know the address to where you are going, google "steak houses near address, city, state" and Google will find the restaurants. Then maybe print the names/addresses of them in advance, (maybe make a map) ~ so when you are in your rental car and everyone says, "Where we gonna eat?" you'll have an answer for them with a map/directions. That way your are in control. Have several choices.

Keep Calm and Keto on....

Dan the Man from Michigan

• gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love how this thread is so reassuring and full of good advice. FYI, many of the hotel restaurants now have calorie counts/etc. listed in the menus. Even tho' you're likely not following calories, you will know what to avoid...don't be tempted by the many opportunities for noshing at receptions and at the bar...carry a stick of cheese with you and/or some nuts in your purse...or if you can, sneak away to your room and have a cup of tea, nuts, maybe a cold cut that you brought with you to take the edge of hunger. You can do it!
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There is another thread on this group that has TONS of good ideas:

Fast food / ordering in?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. I too find eating out not that difficult especially if I look at an online menu ahead and commit to what I will and won't eat. You might try a few trial runs before you head out just to have a successful experience under your belt before the real thing.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've brought my own coconut oil to restaurants... It doesn't need to be refrigerated, so you could potentially pack a jar with you for the trip? Easy way to make sure you get the fat.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Olive Garden, etc. are all easy-to-eat-LCHF.

What do you get at Olive Garden?

Less desireable: Mexican

Personal preference here I suppose. Mexican is my second favorite behind steakhouses. Before low carb, all I'd order at mexican places were fajitas anyway. Fajitas without the tortillas are still freaking amazing :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    String cheese sticks and bags of nuts (macadamia, other) are your friends- and pack easily. many places will substitute a side salad for hash browns and toast or baked potato. MOST American style restaurants have a wide choice 24/7. What I hated about conf. food when I did business trade shows is the table outside the meeting rooms are loaded with sweet rolls and Danish, sugar sodas, 3x a day for 'breaks', and dessert automatically put in front of you after dinner.
    - Remember to say " Oh, I DON'T eat that" and smile, not "I can't eat that"
    1. it implies a medical/heath choice 2. causes less questions or urging you to "just once"
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    - Remember to say " Oh, I DON'T eat that" and smile, not "I can't eat that"

I love that! I try to remember to say Don't and not Can't when talking to friends.

I think if you say Don't it gives you the power, because you have already made the choice. I love it!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    "Can't eat" is just an excuse, because you still can
    "Don't eat" is a confirmation that you actually don't.
    Just a simple statement perceived by the brain as NO that will shut everyone up!
  • ShawnaDrew
    ShawnaDrew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My only advice is take it one meal at a time. Make the best choice you can :) If you slip up, don't throw away the rest of the day or the week.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Olive Garden, etc. are all easy-to-eat-LCHF.

What do you get at Olive Garden?

Its been a while, I'll have to go again to see.

Less desireable: Mexican

Personal preference here I suppose. Mexican is my second favorite behind steakhouses. Before low carb, all I'd order at mexican places were fajitas anyway. Fajitas without the tortillas are still freaking amazing :)

Oh, I love TexMex, I was born & raised in Dallas, Texas for 38 yrs, grew up on the stuff.
    I love fajitas too, but what else can you purchase at a Mexican restaurant?

Dan the Man from Michigan, formerly a Texan

• Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Throw a bag of sugar free candy in your suitcase. I love just one or 2 pieces of Russel Stover sugar free peppermint patties. It feels indulgent, tastes delicious and won't leave you feeling deprived, especially when others around you will probably be gorging on sugary desserts.