BONE BROTH..need advice on learning to like it, how to use.

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
OK I followed member advice (thanks to all) found a recipe from The Nourished Chef, and made chicken bone broth in a crock pot.

I am trying to tell myself it is just like bullion, but better. It feels greasy on the lips, tried drinking it by sips when warm, not hot. (it did strain well)

Is it supposed to taste salty, greasy, tangy, or? How much a day? limited? or 4-8 oz a day, whenever? add salt/pepper? use to make veggie soup as base? Other uses?

Your Tips please!

what i did:
used a 14 pack of thighs (left bones in crockpot after slow roasting all meat to begin.

(big thigh bones really do crumble by fork pressure after a couple days!)

-added a whole chicken carcass with some meat-left from deli purchase

Added 1 qt of filtered water, 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt

Added several celery stalks/chopped, 1/2 red onion, other veggie bits tossed in, and just left heat for 4 days.

Today I strained all, set aside a lot of shredded meat and soft bones for the animals, poured broth into ice cube tray, 1/2c lidded Tupperware spicer , and a few babyfood jars ...to freezer.

Replies

• kotoula01
    kotoula01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best bone broth comes from the bones of animals that have been raised on pasture, not in CAFOs. That's step one for good taste. I put in some vinegar to help extract all the minerals from the bones. I usually don't salt till just before eating/drinking it. I sometimes put in some organic whole lemons to help with the 'tang' flavor that we like. I put in coriander seeds, fennel seeds, whole garlic (or dried chunks) pepper corns, a cinnamon stick, tiny pinch of hot pepper flakes, and leftover frozen parsley/dill stems. You can try a piece of star anise as well. It does taste 'greasy' at first but when you realize how loaded that fat is with easily absorbed vitamin D and A, and how amazing you feel after drinking this, you will learn to not dislike the greasy texture. You can also strain off the fat, and keep it in the fridge to use when sauteeing onions etc. Don't throw it away, it's full of nutrients that our mineral deprived bodies are craving. My kids drink it by the cup, and it's warm and soothing on cold winter days.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    thanks..I found pouring a cup over hot steamed vege adds flavor, and I drink the remains, also I AM adjusting, I forgot about vinegar, next time. The chicken bones were so crumbly that the stray cat I am feeding goes nuts over them…all the years boiling down a turkey carcass for stew, dang all the bones I tossed! (well I had 2 big dogs and bought 12 turkeys each Nov for the deep freezer. (Safeway thought I was buying for a church) ...cooked one a month for them..at 40cent a lb for pure meat..a deal, but I coulda used the whole thing, bones and all!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Do you skim the top layer when it solidifies?
  • bikrchic15
    bikrchic15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kotoula01 wrote: »
    The best bone broth comes from the bones of animals that have been raised on pasture, not in CAFOs. That's step one for good taste. I put in some vinegar to help extract all the minerals from the bones. I usually don't salt till just before eating/drinking it. I sometimes put in some organic whole lemons to help with the 'tang' flavor that we like. I put in coriander seeds, fennel seeds, whole garlic (or dried chunks) pepper corns, a cinnamon stick, tiny pinch of hot pepper flakes, and leftover frozen parsley/dill stems. You can try a piece of star anise as well. It does taste 'greasy' at first but when you realize how loaded that fat is with easily absorbed vitamin D and A, and how amazing you feel after drinking this, you will learn to not dislike the greasy texture. You can also strain off the fat, and keep it in the fridge to use when sauteeing onions etc. Don't throw it away, it's full of nutrients that our mineral deprived bodies are craving. My kids drink it by the cup, and it's warm and soothing on cold winter days.

can i just buy it off you? ;)
    or buy some from somewhere?
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been just using the powerdered kind you get at the grocery store. Having said that, I've just begun this lifestyle so maybe I'm doing it all wrong, however it is doing wonders in keeping me satiated. And its super yummy - just tastes like a hot soup. Opinions welcome.