What does your garden grow?

Options
tinascar2015
tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
Are any of you growing food? Talk about clean eating -- harvesting your own! Even if you can only grow a few herbs or one tomato plant in a container, it just boosts your motivation to eat what you've just picked.

We just got our vegetable plot put together last weekend and I have seeds started under grow lights in the basement. They're beginning to germinate now!

I've grown things my whole life and I love it so much I returned to college in 2005 to study horticulture. But anyone can do it!

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love my garden. Our season here in NC has been delayed due to the cold and ice, but I have plans to get some seeds in the ground this weekend.

Recently started researching companion planting. Spinach, lettuces, potatoes, onions, broccoli, celery seem to do well in early spring here. Later I'll get my summer veggies in.
    Last year I redid my front flower bed and created a working, but colorful herb garden. Hoping to expand that this year!
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    I've been growing in straw bales the last several years. That way, we can have the veggies anywhere we like and don't have to prepare the soil, which in our area, always requires a lot of additional compost.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible gardener. I mostly grow simple things like mints. I was growing watercress, but I wasn't eating enough of it to justify keeping it around. I'm currently growing garlic, and it should be ready to harvest before too much longer. I'm excited to see how it is. I'm also growing jasmine. I've been pleased that it has lived so long, but I didn't get very many blooms last year. Hopefully, this year it will do better now that I know it needs more water during the flowering season.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Be careful growing mint. It's a thug that spreads everywhere. Growing it in containers is recommended, to keep it confined.
  • 1briannamom
    1briannamom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We grow lots of fruit and veg – tomatoes, cakes, peppers, potatoes, celery and greens in the vegetable plot. Herbs in an herb spiral. And raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, currants, gooseberries, apples, pears and plums. We also keep honey bees and laying hens. (We're on an acre in rural Ontario, Canada).
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Oh wow, Brianna! You have a terrific variety there! And honey! There is nothing like honey from the hive. You must spend a lot of time pruning those berry thickets. I've never grown celery, but I've heard it is so much better than commercial celery. I've started to root it in a dish of water indoors, but it never really grows more than a couple inches. Do you supposed I could do that in my straw bales or in the ground using rooted celery crowns? (I'm something of a celery freak, put it in almost everything.)
  • sharkagirl77
    Options
    Glad to see a few gardeners here! Seedlings are just popping under the grow lights/on the heat mat. Thanks for the reminder to try celery - has anyone started that indoors?
    We lost most of our red raspberries last year and will need to replant those. Has anyone been able to confirm or deny that you can/can not plant black & red raspberries next to each other? Thanks for more inspiration!! Glad I found this thread :)
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Sharkgirl, I'll find out for you. In the meantime, I'm posting a link from Maine Extension Services. Always always always get the most reliable info from an Extension website or your local Extension office. Every county should have one. Before you replant, make sure you didn't lose your berry bushes to verticillium, a terrible soil borne disease. It's in the article.

umaine.edu/publications/2066e/http://

My tomato plants are starting to pop! Cukes are up about 2" in two days. They sure grow fast. I'm going to get green onion seeds today. I sowed some "chive seeds" two weeks ago and what came up is definitely not chives. I think it might be thyme, and I can't stand thyme.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Okay, not an Extension article, but my experience is that Gardenweb forums are fairly reliable:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1457563/blackberries-and-raspberries-death-together
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Be careful growing mint. It's a thug that spreads everywhere. Growing it in containers is recommended, to keep it confined.

I currently live in an apartment, so everything is in containers. :smile:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »

I currently live in an apartment, so everything is in containers. :smile:

I live in a condo since 1998 and ever since have had a container garden. I averaged around 300 containers and grew pretty much everything I needed for my one person household year-around with lots left over to give away. I live in the middle of Mexico City and for me it is wonderful to have such an oasis of green on my roof.
    This year I halved my garden, due to age ( I am going on 70 ) and general health ( I have RA & Lupus ) and because the Mexican diet in general is not vegetable or herb heavy, it was always difficult to give things away, because people did not know them , or did not even want to try them. Also, in a place where most things grow year-around freezing left overs makes little sense. So I have cut down and no longer will grow cabbage, potatoes, celery, because they grow year around and are available in the markets. We live in a continuous water shortage and I prefer not to waste water on things that I can buy cheaply and of which I know that they are grown naturally.
    I have eight kinds of tomatoes from black ones to the ones with stripes, all kinds of Asian radishes and cucumbers, so far eleven kinds of green leafy vegetables, seven kinds of beans from yard-long ones to pink and yellow ones, as well as many other things like golden beets, different salad mixes, amaranth for eating the leaves and lots of other unusual stuff. I also grow passion fruit and some miniature fruit and of course living in Mexico several kinds of hot peppers as well as spicy ones.....:o).
    My biggest problem is the time between sowing, so I won't have too much of one thing at any kind, because there is just so much I can eat...lol.
    I've liked gardening since I was a young child in my home country Germany and without my container garden, life in this city would be much more stressful for me.

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So jealous. Snow melting but have 1 1/2' of snow ice still. Our primary crop for now is eggs. Free range heritage birds and Japanese Song Quail. The coops of our breeding and brooding birds are scattered throughout the landscaping of the compound ... mostly in the Not So Wild Wildflower Garden.

In foreground is chestnut flour made from dehydrated chestnuts (planted from liners in the mid 1970's), dried chestnuts and precious last bit of dried apples. The last jar of low sugar raspberry jam is on the left. Pot of bay leaf, rosemary and grandma's walking onions live on our small back porch along with a interesting variety of celery, parsley, onions, oregano & sage.

8fyqwhsxg8cz.jpg
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    ^^^ That's really beautiful!! What is the square pan of what looks like fried eggs? It's making me hungry!
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We have a giant garden, father-in-law brings his tractor with his giant field disc to "till" every spring. If we did it with a rotatiller it would take forever. We grow pretty much everything under the sun and what we don't eat fresh gets canned or Frozen
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also have a wall in my home for container herbs :)
  • propagate
    propagate Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a newbie gardener, but I plan on growing dill, cilantro, beans, kale, lettuce, and spinach this year. My husband and I plan on potting some of these tomorrow that are best for early spring. All we have is a tiny balcony in our apartment though, but we'll try to make it work. Can't wait to start gardening! :smiley:
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Here in NE Kansas, we have a pretty narrow window for growing cooler - weather things like lettuce, spinach, CILANTRO (love it). It gets too hot too quickly.

How wonderful to have the use of a tractor to disc your plot! Soil prep is the hardest part of growing food, but the most important if you want a good crop.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options

^^^ That's really beautiful!! What is the square pan of what looks like fried eggs? It's making me hungry!

That is a cast iron Japanese omelet pan with 10 quail eggs cooked in a bit of coconut oil. I usually have 3-5 quail eggs daily to jumpstart my day. See superfood thread.

Hey, nice to have a horticultural sister. Will be fun to swap trade secrets. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Thanks! I just a hope about growing food doesn't violate any off-topic rules.

I love game hen eggs. A coworker of my husband's raises guinea hens and sends home eggs every now and then. They're wonderful! But getting used to that really hard shell was a surprise. So, how many quail eggs would be the equivalent in cal/protein to a hen's egg?
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options
    With the Japanese Song Quail the eggs are deceptively small powerhouses of nutrients & antioxidants. They have 14 calories each. 5 quail eggs = 1 chicken egg.