Grams of sugar per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    after watching the video I posted about sugar I started to question if I might be having too much naturally occurring sugar a day. I average between 30 to 35 grams a day. Which seems ok to me. I do have a couple of teaspoons of manuka honey in my tea (included in my average sugar intake) which I really enjoy and would prefer not to give up but will if needed. I usually only have one fruit a day if that and don't usually have a root vegetable. So what is everyone else averaging?
    What was the video link again, please?

• tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Go to the discussion in this forum on "bulletproof coffee guy and jj virgin". The video is there.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In general I try to keep my sugar on the lower side, especially fructose. I eat 1-2 servings of fruit/day but not every day. If I have some sort of dessert with maple syrup or honey I would likely not have any fruit that day (unless the dessert was a fruit dessert). I don't worry too much about lactose from my raw dairy but in general try to keep my dairy servings to 1-2/day, again, not every day. I think you definately can eat too much fruit but if you focus on not more than 1-2 servings/day and try to make most of your fruit lower fructose fruit (berries, kiwi are both low fructose) you should be fine. If I'm having a higher fructose fruit, like today I have a small pear to have with my lunch, I would not have another serving of fruit that day.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't watch sugar per se - I just watch carbs. I have one simple rule regarding sugars: "do not eat sugars unless there is a plant around it". That's it.

As others have mentioned, eating fruit (or even veggies) combines the inherent sugar with fiber and nutrients, slowing absorption rates and making it a normal part of ones diet. Any other created sugar, whether it is cane, agave, palm, fructose or whatever is just that - manufactured (extracted and concentrated). The only natural 'sugar' is honey.

I know we're all attracted to sweet things, but if you wean yourself from added sugars, you'll starting noticing an inherent sweetness in many foods that you never thought were sweet before. Kinda like how bright city lights drown out moon/star light.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Go to the discussion in this forum on "bulletproof coffee guy and jj virgin". The video is there.
    Thanks!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    A sugar free and AMAZING dressing is to copy the Marie Callendar's restarunt HOT BACON dressing..I use stevia, and crumbled bacon with some bacon fat, heated, add vinegar and stir, pour over salad veggies it is wonderful…way back when this was first introduced in 80s it was the most popular item at salad bar and they always ran out. ( or dump in the spinach, etc and stir around for a minute, then eat.)

I keep a tiny fry pan I call my Magic Bacon Grease pan, and when I make this dressing I will wash after, and start over when I fry up some bacon again, nice way not to waste.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Something about bacon-vinegar dressing hits one of my buttons, setting off cravings. I haven't eaten it in years. Now I'm wondering if it was the white sugar in my old recipe. ..?