Stupid Question - Do I have to Eat High Fat to Get in Ketosis???

Options
2»

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    gemberly wrote: »
    Some people fast to get into ketosis faster, but your body needs something for energy eventually!

Yes, that is correct. A normal weight person has enough fat to water fast for about 40 - 50 days. If you are a fat person, you can go a lot longer. You can go to YouTube and find many people talk about 20+ day fasts. Do I do fasts or recommend fasts for that long? No, but I have done two four day fasts, many 2 day fasts and a slew of skip-a-day-of-eating fasts.

There is a well known story, from 1965, of a 27 year old Scottsman that weighed 456 lbs and he went on a supervised 382 day water fast! Details are here:

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration

It is a very detailed one page report.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I cheap out with them. lol

I've been using the Chocolate Body Fortress from Walmart (whey protein isolate). It's a fraction of the cost from buying the shakes from the program I'm on (Ideal Protein diet). The taste is acceptable for the money saved. One scoop is 130 cals, 3g of carbs, 1g of fibre and 30g of protein).

Lately I've been mixing one scoop to 8 oz of vanilla almond soy/milk and 8 oz of water. It really just add bulk to it. (approx 35 cals and 1g of carb added on).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @GuyIncognito123‌ eat real food man :smile:
  • GuyIncognito123
    Options
    Random guy on Internet tells me to stop eating my meat, salad and vegetables. Why yes, yes I will take your advice to switch that for real food B) lol

Actually, the most ironic part is that it's coming from someone who promotes "fasting" on their profile page.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Random guy on Internet tells me to stop eating my meat, salad and vegetables. Why yes, yes I will take your advice to switch that for real food B) lol

Actually, the most ironic part is that it's coming from someone who promotes "fasting" on their profile page.

He's referring to the fact that more than half of your protein intake is coming from protein shakes instead of whole food sources of protein.

Also, please educate yourself on what intermittent fasting is before you criticize it as though he's promoting not eating at all (especially in this case, when it's 16:8/leangains style, which is simply a condensed eating window).
  • GuyIncognito123
    Options
    Wow, the trolls are hungry today. Note to self... stop feeding them.
  • kirkor
    Options
    We're trying to help. Solid real food is always going to be better than powder, and you should look in to intermittent fasting before you dis it:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The keto (and low carb high fat, etc.) groups are generally full of well intentioned, helpful, and educated folks. Friendly and NICE. We keep snark to a minimum and will usually add a smilie to soften the blow in case any of the advice or comments may come across as hard.

It's the one reason why this is the ONLY group of people I will go to for advice or help. If anyone feels like picking a fight or poking at someone....yeah you should go hang out in the litter box (General MFP forums).

I'm not namin names.... just sayin.

OP hope your question was answered and you can move forward and see progress. I think that you really have to tweak your macros (especially where fat is concerned). Fat is to satiety, not necessarily to target. Pay attention to how you feel- if you find you're having cravings, or just not feeling full enough, chances are you need more fat. (Healthy fat of course).

• KetoCutie
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    We're trying to help. Solid real food is always going to be better than powder, and you should look in to intermittent fasting before you dis it:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Agreed! :)
  • GuyIncognito123
    Options
    I didn't ask for help, I just answered a question.

Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned I was on a structured "recognized" laid out diet. But you're right, strangers on a message board are more familiar with my history, know why I'm on the program, and know best. ;)

So..... kindly P.O. :)
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Me thinks someone needs more fat... ;-)
  • kirkor
    Options
    Sorry bro, food > powder regardless of your history or intentions.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Sorry bro, food > powder regardless of your history or intentions.

^ that. The powders/shakes aren't gonna have all 23 amino acids like a good hunk of beef or pork or what have you will. Quinoa and meat are the only things that contain all of the amino acids. Quinoa=carbs and a bitter taste....soooo meat. ;)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

I honestly believe my moods are definitely more stable now on this WOE :smiley:

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Quinoa=carbs and a bitter taste....soooo meat. ;)

Ha, quinoa is gross (and $$). We tried it once, rinsed the heck out of it, even cooked it in broth...and it still tasted like crap.
  • KetoCutie
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

I honestly believe my moods are definitely more stable now on this WOE :smiley:

LOL @tru2one, so funny. and true!

Same here zoom. I'm pretty mellow and happy when I have enough fat and no sugars.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned I was on a structured "recognized" laid out diet. But you're right, strangers on a message board are more familiar with my history, know why I'm on the program, and know best. ;)

@GuyIncognito123‌

Just pointing out that I noticed no where above in any of your posts that you indicated you were under a specific program under medical guidance until this last post. Everyone responding was speaking to the general populous, not someone on a medically supervised program. Perhaps you posted elsewhere about this program/structured "recognized' laid out diet. If you did, I do not recall seeing it anywhere.

I'm not sure what part of your program is "recognized" or even what that means. No one indicated any knowledge of your history, no one knew you were on a program until the post directly above, and again, they were speaking from their own research and experiences.

Too many times on any lifestyle change, people try to "take the easy way out" by using processed items and such that would include more bio-available nutrition if they were getting the same things through "real food." This is the way your initial post came across.

Regardless of any of this, anyone's advice is just that - well meaning shared knowledge to be applied to your individual situation and background/history - essentially take it or leave it. I hope there was a least some positive note you took from this entire ... thread.

Your general snarkiness and sarcasm was not well received by people only intending to share general knowledge with someone asking a general knowledge type of question. Perhaps you might take a step back and reread things with the best of intentions before blasting well-meaning others.

Good day.
  • GuyIncognito123
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@GuyIncognito123‌

Just pointing out that I noticed no where above in any of your posts that you indicated you were under a specific program under medical guidance until this last post. Everyone responding was speaking to the general populous, not someone on a medically supervised program. Perhaps you posted elsewhere about this program/structured "recognized' laid out diet. If you did, I do not recall seeing it anywhere.

I'm not sure what part of your program is "recognized" or even what that means. No one indicated any knowledge of your history, no one knew you were on a program until the post directly above, and again, they were speaking from their own research and experiences.

Too many times on any lifestyle change, people try to "take the easy way out" by using processed items and such that would include more bio-available nutrition if they were getting the same things through "real food." This is the way your initial post came across.

Regardless of any of this, anyone's advice is just that - well meaning shared knowledge to be applied to your individual situation and background/history - essentially take it or leave it. I hope there was a least some positive note you took from this entire ... thread.

Your general snarkiness and sarcasm was not well received by people only intending to share general knowledge with someone asking a general knowledge type of question. Perhaps you might take a step back and reread things with the best of intentions before blasting well-meaning others.

Good day.

It was my post on March 15th before Mr Fasting jumped in and started trolling.

But yeah... I avoid the main forums before low carbers are treated like crap.
    I guess I should avoid the low carber forums because people who follow different programs are treated like crap.

And a good day to you! ;)
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the only one I see treating anyone like crap is you. I'm a long time user of low carb forums, and a newcomer to MFP, but I have a lot of experience with people such as yourself. Don't ask for help if you aren't willing to listen, and don't bother at all if you can't accept said advice gracefully.

Methinks you might be the troll in here stirring up trouble.