Sleeve and Acid Reflux

Options
QuilterGirl3
QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
For those who have had the sleeve, do you now have acid reflux? Did you have it before surgery? I had been leaning toward the sleeve, but I understand that it can cause bad acid reflux.

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had bypass, and I had been on Nexium for GERD for years. I've been symptom free since the surgery, and recently stopped taking the meds. The doctor did repair a hiatal hernia that wasn't identified during my pre-surgery scoping while he was doing the bypass surgery.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I have it. It comes and goes.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve. I had never had reflux prior to surgery. After surgery, the dr put me on a prescription to stop reflux. I took that for 2 1/2 mos and then stopped. I haven't had any problem with reflux.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve, and have had no issues with reflux.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have had the sleeve procedure too, no reflux.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had been diagnosed with GERD, although I only had a few episodes of esophogeal attacks, no reflux or heartburn. My doc put me on prilosec daily, and because of the diagnosis, my WL surgeon recommended the bypass verses sleeve, which is what I wanted. Since my bypass, 8 weeks ago, I constantly have issues with vomiting up liquid following meals. I have not been on the prilosec since surgery, but am thinking I may need to get back on it. Dang, was hoping to be one of the ones who never had GERD issues after bypass!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I originally had a Sleeve and had severe reflux (though I had it before the sleeve, just not as bad). It's the reason I had to convert to RNY.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve. I had a bit of reflux before surgery because of my bad eating habits, but now I have no problem whatsoever. I eat really spicy foods sometimes, too.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    kchaki, my surgeon required I take Prilosec every morning for the 30 days following my RNY surgery. He also told me that many people who have the sleeve have problems with reflux. They aren't sure why but figure it is because there is more pressure in the stomach with the sleeve. With the bypass he said I will not have to worry with it again. He also repaired a hernia which played a part in my GERD.