Sajyana
Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
This was interesting reading.

reddit.com/r/zerocarb

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://eatmeatdrinkwater.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/zero-carb-interview-charles-washington/

Of the many links that popped up I went this one which is an interview that he gave.

I tend to get some carbs in the process trying to get some fibers.

Not sure why one would go for Zero carbs but he is alive and running after ZC for 8 years.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed in theory but I really, really like veggies. I wouldnt want to give them up.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yep. We have a Facebook presence too. If you are interested in this, I highly recommend reading "The Fat of the Land" which can be found in that reddit group. It is old, but pretty much is the inspiration of the whole thing.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Gale, we are also zero-fiber. So, no carbs at all. Not even fiber carbs. More appropriately, we are zero-plants. We don't worry about carbs from animal sources like liver, seafood, eggs, etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hey Goat, what's your group's consensus on organ meat? I've seen a few ZC groups that even shun organ meats, because they're too carby. Given the amount of nutrients in organs, that seems a bit far to me, but I'm curious about your thoughts on it.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Organ meats are fantastic, if you like them. They are unnecessary for health, but not bad once in a while. A few members of the group shun them due to carb content. Others eat them once in a while without issue. The consensus among the group is that they're fine because they are an animal product. They're not required. Some (like Charles mentioned above) never eat them.

Personally, I like liver. I have it once in a while. Not a whole lot, to be honest. I have recently tried sweetbreads and liked them a lot. I don't think they have carbs though.

Bear said no liver, too many carbs for him. It is personal. I would say that people should try it, and cut it out if it causes problems (stalls, cravings, etc.).
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting because when I'm hungry I've always, for as long as I can remember preferred to snack on proteins. I trained myself to reach for fruits and veges. I've always loved vegetables but now find that I don't miss them much at all and have almost completely cut them from my meals. I don't eat fruit at all anymore and don't miss it.

I don't know that I'm ready to cut carbs completely because I do love a piece of battered fish or a beer for example. While I still enjoy these things I'll have them. If I come to the point where I'm ready to completely carbs then I'll do that.

I did read some of the blogs and info. There's an entire family that eats beef only and they look healthy and seem to be doing fine. The husband and wife have been meat only since 1998. Almost 20 years, and it appears they haven't had any negative response to their eating style.

If anything, it makes me firmer in my conviction to low carb and maybe eventually no carb. ;)
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for posting.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I aspire to zero carb, but I'm not quite ready to give up nuts and artificial/low carb sweeteners.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting, thank you sajyana. I'm eating fewer veggies where I can get away with it - hubby still thinks they're necessary to life. He's given up his major fruit addiction so it's best to expect baby steps from him for a while.

And I love my dairy. Great food for thought though!
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Interesting interviews. Thanks for sharing. I'm propelled to do more research. I could see this very much being a way of life. Hmmm...
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    very interesting but kind of scary. Food is such a big part of my daily life emotionally,socially, financially, Is the underlying message here to eat meat for fuel and all my needs are met? Health and happiness will follow. should relief agencies send meat to refuge camps? :o
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    That's pretty much it. Just make it fresh meat (at least most of it). I'm not sure if someone can live completely off of SPAM. As for the refuge camps, absolutely. That's exactly what should be sent, if there weren't multiple factors preventing it.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I aspire to zero carb, but I'm not quite ready to give up nuts and artificial/low carb sweeteners.

There were my final things that kept me hooked, too. If I could have gotten rid of these, I would have been zero carb months earlier than I actually was. I finally tracked the both of those and how I felt (as well as my weight loss) when I consumed them and realized that they were a problem. So, I cut them out. That was hard for me. Nuts and diet cola had been something that were my favorites for years.

In retrospect, it should have been obvious how little self control I had with either of those. I could eat a whole jar of nuts in two days. I could eat nuts until I was physically ill and still want more. And 2-4 liters of Diet [cola] a day was typical for me. When we first started dating, my wife would poke fun at my pantry loaded with dozens of 2-liter bottles. Things that make you go, "hmmm."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of nuts and diet soda lol...but diet soda doesn't have carbs? You didn't have to cut it out completely?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Wow that's a lot of nuts and diet soda lol...but diet soda doesn't have carbs? You didn't have to cut it out completely?

It isn't an issue with the carb content. It is an issue with cravings and related food consumption. Drinking diet soda makes me want other sweet things. Those other sweet things have carbs. Or, I overeat "allowed" foods because I think I am hungry, but I am just craving carbs.

No diet soda, or anything sweet really, and my appetite is a much more reliable signal of how much I really need to eat. Since I don't count calories (or weigh or track), foods that fool me into over-eating are counter to my goals even if they have no carbs.