People who don't like your weight loss~

Options
Rockmaker
Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
Have you ever had this problem? The most common criticism I get is "don't you think you're being extreme"? Another one is "Look, he's withering away".

ycj00se43sta.jpg

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's nothing but jealousy. Make them some cupcakes. :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You look good, hopefully you feel good, those are the only measurements you need. Pure jealousy as @itcphotog‌ says. Are they people you need in your life?
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've seen this ruin friendships. People generally do not like change. They like their comfortable, predictable relationships. It's safe and it's a known quantity. It's scary when that then changes. Some people eventually deal with it, some feel very uncomfortable with it and just don't get over it.

I've reached a point where if I think people feel free to belittle me or put me down I'm well within my rights to stick up for myself even if it makes them uncomfortable. You're not withering away, your body is using your fat reserves for energy. You're not being extreme, you're eating to suit how your body works. Bring it back to what works best for your body. It's hard to argue with that.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm not sure if it's worse with women because (for too many of them!) there seems to be an eternal battle for supremacy of beauty, slenderness, and who knows what else. One female loses weight and suddenly there's a jostling for position. The ones at or near the top don't like it at all! In fact, the ones near the bottom don't like it either because they're pushed down towards the fattest or ugliest awards ;)

My husband is a public transit bus driver and he loves to watch a beautiful girl saunter onto the bus, knowing she's the best there, walking proud. Then another one will get on and he watches the first girl practically seething, gritting her teeth, snarling hateful looks at the usurper. It's funny when he tells it with demonstrations of the Proud Walk and then the glares.

And beside all of that is the comment from family and work colleagues "Oh, you've lost too much already, you simply *can't* lose more, you'll look so old and gaunt!" I've had that every time I've reached within 10 kgs of goal weight and I'm not sure if I let them help me relapse, or if it was my own stupidity. Won't be happening this time because I'm a stronger person now.

So no, you are *not* extreme. Unless these days being healthy is extreme. Perhaps it is.